General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fao porkie....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:45 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that one of the perks of the job? More oten than not, the bonus can be as much as some people's salaries.

Thing is, you're not in that kind of job for "the impact you might have on your community", so I'm guessing that you would take the loss pretty seriously.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porkie

But I suppose its only money... other people make mistakes and it costs lives so actually its not the end of the world is it

Indeed, any nurse/nanny/doctor is dealing with things far more important than 225 million quid on a daily basis.

And there mistakes can devestate lives far more too.

Id much sooner lose a few quid than a family member.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
not true at all.. in some peoples job.. their bonus IS their salary!
Totally, alot of the traders at that bank would have small basics and alot would have been depending on the money they KNOW they would almost certainly be getting.
same principle as sales or any comission based job ish\kinda
Old 09-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Totally, alot of the traders at that bank would have small basics and alot would have been depending on the money they KNOW they would almost certainly be getting.
Depending on for what though mate?

To put food on the table, or to buy that porche turbo they have been hankering after?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door

To put food on the table, or to buy that porche turbo they have been hankering after?
Nail on the head!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:49 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are all taking this too literally!
its a stupid 'clerical' type error.. not a major worldwide disaster..

but an error which will probably leave innocent employees with fook all this year.. and possibbly the next

I'd be extremley pissed off!

hell.. id be pissed off about the cancellation of the xmas party!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:50 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bollocks.. If you've worked for it.. you've earnt it!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Kev.H
Not really mate. If you are a car salesman and sell a car you get a small commision on top of your basic.

A city trader may have say a Ł50k basic and get over a million in a bonus, so the percentage difference is huge.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

According to the article I'm reading:

loss of at least 27 bln yen from erroneous trades on an Osaka-based telecom outsourcing company J-Com during its debut on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Ouch.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

If you work in a risky industry, you should plan your personal finances around such eventualities, and with the fantastic money most of these peopel probably earn each year normally, they should easily be in a position to afford it.

TBH even if they have to do something horible like move from a 7 bedroom house in mayfair down to a 6 bed one, its still hardly on the same scale as what the families of people who got run over yesterday are going through.

Its a shame, but its not exactly a massive tragedy to humanity.

It sounds like you would be LESS concerned than this if there was another earthquake in india or somewhere tomorrow at 50,000 people died
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That may be so, but are you saying that just because this person works hard in the City for big money, he is any different to the little person working the other side of the country for a 1/5th of the same money but working just as hard??

There's no difference really except the attitude towards money is different for each person, big deal if the London hotshot cant add another car or house to his collection, its only money.

Welcome to the real world I say.
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Kev.H
Not really mate. If you are a car salesman and sell a car you get a small commision on top of your basic.

A city trader may have say a Ł50k basic and get over a million in a bonus, so the percentage difference is huge.

I only earn 50K a year total in my current job, and i just about manage to eat and find a way to keep warm and dry on only that amount, so im sure they will cope
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Careful there Chip - you're beginning to go all "Karl Marx" on us
Old 09-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

no mate, some may honestly NEED it. To pay off the bills from the year before... big mortgage, kids school fees, credit cards, holidays etc...

If you are used to earning big money, you have an expensive lifestyle.... sad but true.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Anonymous
Banned

no mate, some may honestly NEED it. To pay off the bills from the year before... big mortgage, kids school fees, credit cards, holidays etc...

If you are used to earning big money, you have an expensive lifestyle.... sad but true.
Ive never been in your league, but i went from earning 120K one year to 34K the next year once, so i know what you are saying.

But its still not really a big deal is it?

I mean so there kids might have to go to a "normal school" or they might have to sell one of their cars, or have less holidays etc.

You are aware are you mate that 50% of the people in this country you are all living in or so probably dont EVER have a holiday, NEVER get to own their own home or send their kids to a fancy school etc.

People who think those things really matter have my sympathy
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So do these people expect the rest of the Country to feel sorry for them just because they've been brought crashing back down to earth with the meer normal wage-earning people.
Welcome to the world of debt, managing money and budgeting - oooh the hardship lol
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Porkie, serious question here.

Ive always thought you come across as the sort of person who realises they are lucky to have the things you do, but that you realise other things like friends and family are more important, and that you could probably manage to be happy even if you were earning the national average 20K a year or whatever cause you have good friends and a good sense of humour etc.

If you were in the situation where you had to lose your houses/cars/income and just be a normal person with a 3 bed semi and a 5K saph cossie, do you honestly think that would be the end of you ever enjoying yourself?

Cause if it would, i honestly do think thats a shame.

Compared to a lot of people on this forum, ive been in the position of earning what most would consider a LOT of money at some points in my life (although not you obvioulsy!) but never once have i found anything that REALLY makes me happy that i couldnt fund on a very modest wage.

Im off to blackpool this weekend, to stay in a 25 quid a night hotel and probably get through about 50 quid total when out clubbing, i dont believe that the injection of an extra 5 grand into my evening would make the slightest bit of difference, and it doesnt bother me im in a hotel costing about 10% of what ive used to when working away from home for long periods in the past etc.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Totally agree. There are alot more important things than money and you are right I can't see anyone going hungry or being out on the streets from Mizuho.

I'll shut up now

but I do feel a bit sorry for people loosing that 911 Turbo through no fault of their own

Edit* This reply was typed before I read yours. Of course moneys not THAT important to me and I'm not that sad!

I was totally poor at uni and my best mate was Renton. He used to have to buy me pints as I had NO money. Aslo consider when I first met my other best mates Sean and Martoon, I has a 6 year old Corsa with the bodykit hanging off! My Finances may have changed but my best friends are all still the same. That should tell you everything you need to know about me and money
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

While I like Chips outlook and see whate Clare is saying about risk I can't help see things from Dave and Porkies point of view. A poor forcast you can compensate, adjust and prepare for but a circumstance like this when you've done your bit too... ouch!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

but I do feel a bit sorry for people loosing that 911 Turbo through no fault of their own
That comment reminds me of when u get a jumper when someone jumps in front of a train on a friday night cos there life is shit how many commuters do you hear saying FFS how bloody inconsiderate another delay bad really
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I think people are missing the point.

Say you work in some kind of sales job where you earn 20k, but every years for the past 6 years, you've recieved a performance related bonus circa 150% of your salary.

Now you're telling me that you'd only live your life based around your 20k basic because you might be afraid that the guy next to you could commit an error and jepardise your almost precedented income?

Hmmmmmmmmm, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RichardPON

Say you work in some kind of sales job where you earn 20k, but every years for the past 6 years, you've recieved a performance related bonus circa 150% of your salary.

Now you're telling me that you'd only live your life based around your 20k basic because you might be afraid that the guy next to you could commit an error and jepardise your almost precedented income?

TOTALLY my point!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

I don't think Chip is saying that really, I got the impression he was saying nobody should rely on it. Buy the Porsche after the bonus yes, but don't buy it first and complain when the bonus isn't big enough.

Which is understandable.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

MWF, I don't think Rich is talking about buying Porsches mate. He is talking about Living expenses and lifestyles. eg, Mortgages, car payments, school fees, credit cards, holidays...

P.S I know I said I would shut up 3 posts ago
Old 09-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont get a Bonus AT ALL so think of me when ur spending yours flocking cooounts but we do get overtime which we r aloud to rag ive done a 1/3 of my basic this year BUT I WOULD LIKE A BONUS ASWELL THANK YOU PLEASE
Old 09-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Edit* This reply was typed before I read yours. Of course moneys not THAT important to me and I'm not that sad!

I was totally poor at uni and my best mate was Renton. He used to have to buy me pints as I had NO money. Aslo consider when I first met my other best mates Sean and Martoon, I has a 6 year old Corsa with the bodykit hanging off! My Finances may have changed but my best friends are all still the same. That should tell you everything you need to know about me and money

Lee, sounds like you are exactly the sort of person i thought you were then mate
Old 09-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by MWF
I don't think Chip is saying that really, I got the impression he was saying nobody should rely on it. Buy the Porsche after the bonus yes, but don't buy it first and complain when the bonus isn't big enough.

Which is understandable.
Indeed im saying I wouldnt want to commit to anything that would effect my family and i might not be able to afford if i was in a job where my salary was largely my bonus.

So a couple of people have to sell their brand new porche and buy a 4 year old one isntead, big deal?
To most peple on this forum that would still be a dream come true to own!

Anyone in a position like that should have enough inteligence to be able to make a few contingency plans just in case!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Lee, sounds like you are exactly the sort of person i thought you were then mate
Martin thought I was a twat with a Corsa back then though
Old 09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Yeah but you have moved on since, now you are a twat with a cossie and a porche
Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah but you have moved on since, now you are a twat with a cossie and a porche
and several hit singles
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I has a 6 year old Corsa with the bodykit hanging off
My Finances may have changed
And your taste in cars thank god
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

MWF, I don't think Rich is talking about buying Porsches mate. He is talking about Living expenses and lifestyles. eg, Mortgages, car payments, school fees, credit cards, holidays...

Fair play - but since working for myself I've learnt to always live as my means allow (not how they might/should allow). I know Chip used to contract like I did so perhaps it's a mentality shared from that experience.

I have little sympathy for anyone who lives their financial life based on how they think it should pan out. Although in the case mentioned that Dave and Porkie were talking about I do appreciate it was -really- unlucky and near impossible to plan for.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

He may well have been right

Anyway, aside from all this nonsense, I'll be in Liverpool Street in about an hour Lee, so I may well see ya

Will drop you a text.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
my_cossie
Virgin

Anyone who's earning are not garanteed or that are self employed should make sure they have savings or unnecessary assets they can sell should the shite ever hit the fan. If they don't they a complete fools to themselves and their families.

Jim
Old 09-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by MWF

Fair play - but since working for myself I've learnt to always live as my means allow (not how they might/should allow). I know Chip used to contract like I did so perhaps it's a mentality shared from that experience.

I have little sympathy for anyone who lives their financial life based on how they think it should pan out. Although in the case mentioned that Dave and Porkie were talking about I do appreciate it was -really- unlucky and near impossible to plan for.
If you have a 1,500,000 pound house half paid for, and a couple of flash motors on the drive etc, and then you dont earn for a year it only takes a moderate amount of restructuring of your assets (like possibly a move to a smaller house) for you and your family to still continue to live a very priveledge lifestyle.

Its not like someone earning 12K a year who can barely afford baby food or clothes for their kids and then loses their job!
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

We are also missing a big part of this. Mizuhos office christmas party was cancelled!

So the bloke from accounts never got to shag the bird from personel on the photocopier
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

a cunt ???

nah joking Lee , i remember you on the corsasport.co.uk when i had my corsa as well.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by my_cossie

Anyone who's earning are not garanteed or that are self employed should make sure they have savings or unnecessary assets they can sell should the shite ever hit the fan. If they don't they a complete fools to themselves and their families.

Jim
Sound financial advice.

The only problem is, a lot of people have barely enough to pay the motgage, have a car that works, and put food on the table.

They save as best they can, but that might not stop people being made redundant tomorrow, hence nobody's earnings are guaranteed. I thought your IFA would have made that perfectly clear to you
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Anonymous
Banned

We are also missing a big part of this. Mizuhos office christmas party was cancelled!

So the bloke from accounts never got to shag the bird from personel on the photocopier
Yeah but that bird will now be so upset and vulnerable that he can easily take advantage of her

Quick Reply: fao porkie....