General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is intercooler size that important ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is intercooler size that important ?

I don't know a lot about what size intercooler works best with whatever setup u have.

Basically what i want to know is does just having the biggest intercooler make the most of any turbo engine or is there a specific measurement or size that should be used to make the most from your engine.

for example, would a genuine RS500 i/c be any good on a standard cosworth or 270bhp one or would you get the same results using a 4x4 one.

The enquiry is actually about a intercooler I'm thinking of having made for a turbo nova, i did use a 8.1 litre one on my last turbo nova which was made by the same company that develops the map for the ecu, the results with it were god nd plenty of others use them, basically just want to know If a much bigger one would work any better? or does size eventually cause a problem somewhere with the power the engine could make ?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Come on people ! I know someone online now can answer this,
Old 03-12-2005, 10:26 PM
twitchyrear
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be more laggy using a huge intercooler and a small turbo
Old 03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Boost is pressure, so the bigger the cooler the longer it will take to pressurise, therefore creating more lag than nessacary but then id IMAGINE that all goes to pot when you start running bigger boost levels as you wouldnt notice the difference it makes.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:31 PM
DOO
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchyrear
might be more laggy using a huge intercooler and a small turbo

If this true i fit me standerd cooler back on then??

i got a RS500 cooler and a small turbo
Old 03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Bigger is better pretty much mate, and although you will get a tiny bit more lag its not enough to worry about.

well worth doing on a K16 at phase 2 or more as they are getting to the edge of their map really!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:32 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks for the info,

Bascially a mate of mine has just finshed his nova turbo, the intercooler is as wide as the gap between the front wings, its nearly 12" tall and nearly 5inches thick,

seems a bit extreme for me, and I was wondering about the fact that the radiator doesn't get anywhere near enough airflow,

obviously this is a nova were talking about so Cosworths dont tend to suffer from problems with fitment etc..

I think I'll find a sensible sized intercooler to suit this job, was just looking for a rough answe which Chip has given me,

thanks mate
Old 03-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Anonymous
Banned

5" deep sounds like really struggling for space in a nova!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:56 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

lol, its ridiculous chip, I originally fell out with the guy cos his mate told him how great his intercooler design would be,

I just told him it was plain stupid and not required, they have cut the front of the crossmember off, welded a serious bit of angle iron in its place and the IC sits on that which is as low as the bumper and tucks into the top of the bumper, You may one day meet thsi grand desinger one day, He would tell Mark Shead how to map an Engine properly

I personally had no grief with my EDS one and I have also noticed that Neil adams is running the EDS one too with possibly no charge temp issues (well not that he mentioned anything)
Old 04-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Someone on mig?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

no mate, apparently what he has done is something that anyone on Mig is completely incapable of.

I'll admit that he has dared to be slightly different from what I originally had planned for it, but originally costs were a issue and Pace did charge quite a lot for the cooler as u can imagine,

Its a shame he has to be such a cock about everything as he does know a fair bit, but since his nova made 299bhp and he nows drives a evo then everyone has to bow down to him round here and give him mucho respect.

I'll just stick to giving myself advice in future and not others as I can't really be arsed with listening to his shit all day long.

also a word of warning, his mate is buying a vmax bottom end and its going to be 500bhp and done nothing like you have ever seen before

i cant wait
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Anonymous
Banned

IIRC those vmax 500+ bottom ends have a girdle and a steel crank?

If he is going down that route then maybe the intercooler is justified, as potentially that bottom end is good for FAR more power than that.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

with intercoolers, bigger is generally better.

however, there is no point in going too big. if the intercooler can cool the compressed charge air to near ambient temperature by the time that it is only half way through the core, then it's 2 times too big.

the biggest potential downside to having one that's too big is restricting the airflow to the radiator (or other heat exchangers).
Old 04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
with intercoolers, bigger is generally better.

however, there is no point in going too big. if the intercooler can cool the compressed charge air to near ambient temperature by the time that it is only half way through the core, then it's 2 times too big.

the biggest potential downside to having one that's too big is restricting the airflow to the radiator (or other heat exchangers).

Of course the biggest problem is that the optimum size is different depending on the outside temperature at the time
Old 04-12-2005, 11:22 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

of course chip, but like everything in life you have to have a compromise.

if anyone wants to test intercoolers, i have a climatic wind tunnel with dyno that can be used. dyno is only capable of 250 bhp (atw obviously), but temperature can be controlled between 0 and 50 deg. C, with humidity control between 20 and 80 % RH, and with a wind speed over the entire frontal area (2m wide by 1.6m high) up to 70 mph. only costs 2k per day, including technician, engineer and datalogging