General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TECH TALK: setting dwell angle

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005 | 08:03 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Default TECH TALK: setting dwell angle

gonna be picking my new head up tommorow for my 1.6cvh efi turbo,,,

so wanna se the engine to tdc but set the proper dwell angle,,,,,
now ive done this before a wile ago & know about finding tdc then the angle i have to play with divided by 2 etc to get the true tdc on no 1 piston,,,,

but where exactly should cam be on the head,,or valves etc ,,, as ive now got a vernier and before i used the standard mark on the standard cam pully???

please bare with me as im know expert but wanna do this myself if i can double check everything 1st,,,,

also can i use any timing disc (piper,,,,kent ,,even tho m on custom cam pfrofile???)

cheers
marc

any links on this (all factors) etc very appreciated

Old 02-12-2005 | 08:11 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

set the engine to PROPER tdc AND the cam to the normal TDC as per timing marks, then remove the normal vernier and fit the after market one, then you know the engine is at the general TDC, now turn the crank 360 degrees so you are on overlap and then set the crank to the correct timing point for timing it too and adjust the vernier to have the valve fully open, job done as far as im aware

BANG

cam timing all done*

* cam timing is a very important part of a engine and should be rememebered that if the cam timing is not correct you could right royaly fuck a engine quicker than ima a decent thread, also remember whos giving this advice and this is just what i got told and it worked but then may not in your circumstances, i generally find that speaking toi a expert with a silly hairstyle and a girlfriend with a earmuff addiction the most reliable form of action
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:18 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by b19bal

i generally find that speaking toi a expert with a silly hairstyle and a girlfriend with a earmuff addiction the most reliable form of action
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:18 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

double post
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you will have to wait for him to reply as he told me how to do it last week and ittook me ages to understand

the way i think it works on a CVH is time the engine to normal then fit the belt, turn 360 degrees then turn the crank ectto the proper timing mark recomended and then losen the vernier to adjust the cam and make the cam fully open on the correct valve or whats recomended and then tighten and test lock up and your done

always do it clockwise too

but i was told how to time cossie cams and thats got 2 cams to think of, the cvh is just the one cam so the valve overlap is not adjustable
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:50 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

isn't dwell angle to do with sparking and not cam timing?
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:59 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats what i thought ??

Mike

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2005 | 09:03 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

read what hes asking then answer what you thinks hes actually saying
Old 02-12-2005 | 09:12 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

as you can tell im far from an expert on the subject,,,,

so is the dwell angle more to do with spark,,,???

please tell me as its all a learning curve in my eyes fella's???
Old 02-12-2005 | 09:14 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

yes, the dwell angle is something to do with how long you charge the coil before releasing it to the spark.

what you're asking about is the cam timing.
Old 02-12-2005 | 10:53 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

yes you do get ignition dwell angle,, but he aint talking about that here, as he has a efi engine car

remember the pistons dwell at TDC for a few degrees,, and this is what he is on about (i think)

cam timing is something i dont like explaining,, as i get my words in a muddle

if you are running fiesta efi you dont need too worry about engine phase so here goes (so too speak)

remove all rocker arms ( you dont need to do this but it could save you from bending a valve,, better too be safe on your first time)

set pistons too tdc, remember that the pistons dwells at tdc so to do this you need to measure the angle the pistons seams too stop, and seems to start moving again, half this movment and you will have a true tdc, i use a bore gauge for this (which i know is tricky on a cvh)

now once you found your try tdc, fit you timing wheel too the crank and make a pointer so that it points at 0 degrees!

now read you camshaft information and find that part where it tells you full lift for the inlet and exhaust angle? (115 degrees or there about)

turn your engine too the full lift figure (guessing 115 degrees before TDC for the exhast full lift,,, 115 degrees after TDC for the inlet cam profile)

so now the crank is set of your cam timing figure say 115 degrees BTDC, place a DTI (dial test indicator) onto the exhaust lifter of number one cylinder (furthest from the gearbox),slacken bolts on vernier, now move the camshaft till you get full lift (so the lifter is as far up as it will come, using the DTI to measure this) remember the lifter will also have a dwell period so this needs too be halfed! tighten vernier!

place DTI onto inlet lifter for number one, turn crank and see if you get full lift at the right crank angle!

i check and check a few times! do not turn the crank anticlockwise when turning the crank too gain your full lift crank angles as this will put the slack side off the belt on the wrong side of the pully system and gain you inaccurate camshaft timing

if you are unsure of anything, dont do it, as engines are expensive,, and the damage you can cause by doing this wrong is sickening

i know there is other ways of doing it, (like measuring what angle full lift happens and then using the indicators on the verniers too turn too full lift, and also the method of measuring valve overlap, even balancing valve overlap on some engines) but i thought this was the simplest way

remember the cam only turns once for every 2 turns of the crank (crank phasing)

ummmm think ive covered it
Old 03-12-2005 | 07:26 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

cheers gareth
Old 03-12-2005 | 11:48 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

see how easy that looks, tooo poor gareth hours to explain to me

cheers again mate , one day when i meet ya the beers are deffo on me
Old 03-12-2005 | 12:16 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

As Gareth says. Finding "True" TDC is the hardest thing on a CVH as the plug holes are on an angle. You could take the head off, but its a faff.
Old 03-12-2005 | 12:49 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

b19bal

beer sounds good too me
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:09 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by M K
Originally Posted by b19bal

i generally find that speaking toi a expert with a silly hairstyle and a girlfriend with a earmuff addiction the most reliable form of action

just noticed this,, and i must say i know your not on about me,, and im far far from being any sort of expert
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:36 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet