General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Decision made - the cossie's going!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Tony Turbo
www.ctuceilings.co.uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to hear Rich after coming so far, you are almost there

But, as said, there is a line...

Sadly I have pushed the car too far over that line

Good luck mate, but I hope you still come to some of the shows and track days etc

P.S. I think Damo will want your fuel lines, he don't want to wait 'til Tuesday lol
Old 11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

No, Mike thats why its best to have more than 1 car. Your Cossie is lovely and you know I think its the DADDY and surely the best comprmise car there is. But you are very into your trackdays and I think its weird that you have a car that you realise IS a compromise when you have 2 other lovely cars in your household. The Scooby and the Freelander....

Soooo sell the Cossie and the Scoob and get a GT3 RS with a baby seat in the back
Old 11-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lee,
I'll be buried in the Cossie a la Viking funeral stylee .

As Tony says, it gets in your blood and I still get a buzz out of thinking of ways to improve the car.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Tony Turbo
www.ctuceilings.co.uk

Originally Posted by Porkie
Soooo sell the Cossie and the Scoob and get a GT3 RS with a baby seat in the back

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'll never forget my passenger ride in Ronnies GT3 What a car!

Thanks for that Lee
Old 11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

No worries Tony, top bloke, top car.

To remind you Tony, heres some piccies I took on that day.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Mike,

I think Lee's got it spot on, but if you do buy a GT3, I think you should let me drive it, on account of how many R&B invoices I've got sat in front of me
Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

ah mate trulley gutted for u thats its come to this was well looking forward for a ride in it but u got to do what u got to do and good luck to u
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike have you thought of updating a few things?

Like fitting:
evo suspension
evo running gear
evo engine
evo bodyshell

Old 11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
I have already evolved the suspension, evolved the running gear and evolved the engine. The only thing that hasn't changed at the moment, is the bodyshell . I get a great deal of enjoyment out of my car and not just from driving it. I'm glad it's not perfect, or I would be bored .
Old 11-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Chip,
I have already evolved the suspension, evolved the running gear and evolved the engine. The only thing that hasn't changed at the moment, is the bodyshell . I get a great deal of enjoyment out of my car and not just from driving it. I'm glad it's not perfect, or I would be bored .
Mike, you dont need to tell me mate, i was just winding you up.

At least you arent stupid enough to fuck around with things like 500bhp minis
Old 11-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best pay ya £20 then

rich i probably use mine about 20 - 30 times a year .. 3 possibly 4 trackdays and the rest just driving around getting bits repaired or going to the some shows..

also having the same idea of selling it in bits ..but having too much fun at the moment ..

go on do nat day in it .. i promise i will join you on the beach for some sandcastle making

ps i'm after some bits
Old 11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Mike, its a great car no doubt. An amazing alrounder upmost respect for it, awesome modified car, every part is very well thought out
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Mike, its a great car no doubt. An amazing alrounder upmost respect for it, awesome modified car, every part is very well thought out
Except for the seat/pedal interface module
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Pete, you fookin vulture

I may yet do National Day in the MR2 as it is an interesting experience!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Mike,

I think Lee's got it spot on, but if you do buy a GT3, I think you should let me drive it, on account of how many R&B invoices I've got sat in front of me
There's the real reason, Rainbirds gonna send the balif's round to get the wonga

Good luck breaking the car Rich, end of an era really You'll miss it, and after such a weapon, you're gonna want something equally impressive.

Are you turning jap ?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:49 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Not Jap - I've already done that!

Gonna look at a little Caterham replica - have wanted one for longer than I have a cossie - they are simply ridiculous fun on the road, and I'd build one that's fast for track as well.

Bonus is that they are lightweight (600kg fully loaded), and don't need a lot of power, or force to make em stop and go very well indeed!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

PON,
I always thought I would want one of these until Lee kindly allowed me to drive the Caterham he brought to TOTB a few years ago. I know it was a low spec one, but I was really disappointed with it, and it was nothing as good as I thought it would be...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Maybe it was that seat pedal interface module problem that Chip was talking about

Remember though, it's not about fast lap times for me on trackdays - it's about enjoying myself, and scaring the shit out my passengers I think a car like that would do the job!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

PON,
I always thought I would want one of these until Lee kindly allowed me to drive the Caterham he brought to TOTB a few years ago. I know it was a low spec one, but I was really disappointed with it, and it was nothing as good as I thought it would be...
You drove it in a straight line around an airfield runway and in a fooking carpark you gibbon! hardly a definitive test drive of the car in its best enviroment was it

Seriously fun cars mate, I'll let you have a go of a mates on track. VERY cool and alot of fun.

Martin took that Caterham out around Elvington village and loved it
Old 11-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Sorry hear that Pon, I was hoping to get a rid at Nat Day.

Just because you're going sell/break the sapph though doesn't mean you have to stop being friends with all of us. LOL

I'm hopefully going to build my car ala Rainbird stylooo...some track days and mostly street..but it's going to have a nice engine build

Good luck with whatever you get next and I'll see ya at Nat Day
Old 11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Mauly - I've made some proper good friends from the cossie scene, both here and abroad - that's not gonna change.

I will see ya at National Day, cos if I'm not on track in one car or another, I'll be there blagging passenger rides!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Well if it helps Pon: I DID THE SAME THING!

At one point I was just fed up with it all: the stupid ammount of money that was sunk into the cars, the ammount of time I wasted on them that, in hindsight, I could and should have done better things with, the ussual crowd with the ussual behaviour and always the same retorics....

I've sold the cars, the parts, all the memorabillia wich I had collected for years (and proper rare stuff as well!) and never looked back!
It was a relief: saw a return of a fair bit of cash, lots of free space and what's more: a free mind! No more looking for bits, no more having to think of the next thing to sort out. At one point it was just taking over my life I guess and I certainly didn't want that!

Now I have a cheap and utterly crappy runaround wich costs me next to nothing, I have a decent bike to ride on as well as a toy to play with, I'm out of the 'scene' and feeling better than ever!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Glass Eye
Banned

pond life,,i am so sorry to hear this heartbreaking news.honestly.since i got my saffie,, i have fallen in love with it as the exhaust pipe will testify but would never get rid of it.do as rainbum says and get it on the track for some fun or make it into a road car and enjoy it by driving round to burgerking car parks and stealing fries off the kids like i do
Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Lee,
So why did you look so scared when I started flooring it with some lock on in a completely open space trying to see what the back end would do ?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Tony Turbo
www.ctuceilings.co.uk

No worries Tony, top bloke, top car.

To remind you Tony, heres some piccies I took on that day.

Cool pictures mate

You're a naughty boy taking a camera out on track
Old 11-08-2005, 04:59 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Hooligan
At one point it was just taking over my life I guess and I certainly didn't want that!
That's EXACTLY where I am, hence the decision
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Which is why it is best to always keep a Cossie as a road car - best of both worlds (albeit a compromise for both) .
Agree Mike, mine did the comute today & next week will hopefully pull 200 at THE Supercar event. Cant think of the compromise though.
Rod
Old 11-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Ive never seen a car as anything other than a mechanical thing. Albeit one that I enjoy using and pushing my abilities in. So Im not sure why people get so emotionally involved with there cars. If my car was written off/stolen/whatever tomorrow. Id be irritated of course, but I wouldnt feel Ive lost a girlfriend. (Thats not just aimed at you Rich, but many others who think like that)

Having said that, Ive never been in the position of having more than £2K invested in a car though so maybe thats got a bearing on it.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:02 PM
RSCAT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Decision made - the cossie's going!!!!!!

I'll put a post in the parts for sale forum at about 3 p.m. with the spec (
changed ya mind already ?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:11 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh Rich sorry to hear that you are making a decision to sell your track project. Wouldnt it be better to make that decision AFTER you have completed a few laps round donny at Nat Day in it?

How far is it being finished off for Nat Day?

You might actualy find that its beyond your expectations and want to keep it, or it could be that it doesnt change your mind. I really do hope you give it a chance to show you what you have created before you decide to sell up.

Goodluck m8
Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Default Re: Decision made - the cossie's going!!!!!!

Originally Posted by RSCAT
I'll put a post in the parts for sale forum at about 3 p.m. with the spec (
changed ya mind already ?
LOL - no, but the list is HUGE - will be putting it on tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Rob M666SCC
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

About time Rich......

And its been a bare shell once already

Best of luck with ya new project
you can have serious fun with a MUCH cheaper car - look at my festa - owes me about 2k had much more fun on track than my focus - mainly cause i wasnt worried about smashing up a 20k car....
Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
BEC_400
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

The GT3 is good but for the road id rather have evo8 MR340.Much easier and cheaper to own.

Thats the route im going but still keeping the cossie...
Old 11-08-2005, 06:53 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

rich - wrong descision mate

out of the 0.5% of the people who i know on pf on a sort of personal basis your one of them, and i think i can say that you have had a taste wayyyyyy more than the other 99% of people of what motorsport is really about, weve spoken before in the past about your passion for the cossie, i know exactly whats happened here - ive been there myself, youve had no use from the car in over 2 years so have forgotton whats its all about, its ok saying that youve done it before, but not in this car you havnt , when i built my car it took me 4 years before it turned a wheel competetivley, but foooook me what an even - will never forget it, id totally forgotton all the ass ache the last 4 years gave me ( and it was serious pain) i was borrowing space left right and centre to keep the car whilst i built it, i never had a garage at home, i actually decided to strip it some 5 years ago, sold the lot bar the shell, then a small taster reminded me of what i was giving up - NEVER AGAIN ! i was breaking it for all the wrong reasons, i had sat down got the calc out and worked out that i could have bought a small house for what id spent, and what it would cost me so that was that, until that taser !!

at least do one track day in it - dont lose all the hard work for nothing, im totally with tony on this , we dont build em to get the money back, look at me my car may only turn a wheel once a year at the moment, hasnt moved now for over 8 months - im not bothered because i know the minute that im on the line , lid on als and launch control all active the car will sound like a bag of shit , but foook me will it spray some shit from them back wheels when 400ft/lb hits them - fookin rocks and stones for 100 yards - and that is what does it for me - and im sure it will do exactly the same for you ?

test me - tell me it doesnt appeal to ya ?

if you told me im selling up to buy a property i'd say yes - totaly agree mate but the reasons your giving dont do you or the car any justice !
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think you should do a track day in it aswell,,, im sure the reason why you built this car to such a high spec will all come back
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

At the end of the day, its only a car. Only YOU can be happy with what you have got. If youre not happy, and want to move on, then do it! I sold my cossie as i just didnt want it after buying it. So what? Got all my money back, got a car now i love. If i get bored of this ill move on again.

You have made the right decision Rich if YOU think you have, not what anyone else says
Go ahead mate, get it broke and get some pleasure out of something
Old 11-08-2005, 07:26 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

A very good mate of mine went the rallycar to Caterham route. We built it from new in about 4 weeks. It lasted about 12 months (6 of which in the garage in winter) before being sold.

No room, constantly getting wet and cleaning it, small amounts of arse end out fun yes, but the blue lights keep you on your toes.

He's now back where he started - and going that route cost him a lot more than what it would have done if he'd kept the original.

Good luck whatever, just remember if its in the blood it stays there
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

NUTS RuS,
Good luck whatever, just remember if its in the blood it stays there

btw i think all these caterham/westfield things are shit !! ( and yes i have driven one) very novel for a while - not an ultimate tool tho imo
Old 11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Rob - appreciate that mate, cos you've seen most of the ball ache I've been going through with this thing.

Mark - the problem is that property IS a consideration. Moving out into a 2 bed flat round here is £200k plus, and I just simply cannot justify living at home, but having a "use it 6 times a year track car". My plan is actually to buy a property up in Norwich where I used to live, and let it. That way, I have my property, AND I have my car interest satisfied with the Caterham. Logically, it makes no sense to keep the saff, and pass up that opportunity!

Don't get me wrong, I'm seriously gutted about selling up, and a little part of me STILL wants to keep the car, but for the first time in my life, I'm gonna have to think with my head and not my heart. My biggest problem is I'm compulsive, and whatever I buy HAS to be the best - that's why the car is so well specced for a stage 3 engine. As such, I've gone far too far with the car, and not only stretched my budget, but gone well beyond it.

I don't regret owning a cossie for one second, but this saff isn't JUST a cossie, it's a hinderance. Anyone who's seen where I live will know that I just can't keep it stored properly, and that is also a consideration.

Lee - I think that's the bottom line mate...........
Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

christ rich dunno what to say mate!

I'm sure you're making the best decisions for your situation and will sort yourself out with another sorted project

I did wonder why i had no reply about bedford but at least you've saved me a lot of hassle and at least £25

So now i have nothing to do on the friday do ya wanna go on the beers early doors? lets do it

see ya soon mate

chop

ps after reading about you getting out of cossie world do i really wanna get back in? lol

Quick Reply: Decision made - the cossie's going!!!!!!