General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just been done for 3 bald tyres

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I am not sure how you can accurately measure a .1mm difference with whatever gauge you are using, they are not 100% accurate and will have some sort of tolerance, I mean .1mm is soooooooooooooooo thin !!!
.1mm on one part of the tyre probably means it's below limit somewhere else

So when they measured it, they may well have found it to be .1mm below limit.

Think about it, .1mm is 5% of 1.6mm, such simple measuring tools can't have an accuracy that's any better than 10% or so

I reckon you were done fair and square, driving past them at speed, they chase you and you try and get away (guilty conscience ?), they stop you, can't do you for speeding as they couldn't measure it but find 3 bald tyres.... you asked for it imo.

At least you didn't run someone over in the rain, maybe you should consider yourself lucky

Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steve its totally down to there prof opinion, i had a "random" stop and search a while ago in me 1300, they tugged me and looked at the tyres and said it was bald, called a traffic cop and a rac geezer person they had who also agreed, i was wearing a RSOC t-shirt and said i was a MOT tester and mechanic for fords and its got atleast 1k left in it, get out ya measuring tool and ill prve it, they never had one so they sugested i change it as legal limit still dont mean there totally safe for a performance car,,,,,, i then lifted the bonnet to reveal the 1300 push rod engine, he felt a cock

oh and to get out of there i had to drive round the block and they fookers "randomly" tugged me again, i had to argue and explain the other coppers stopped me and asked how can it be random, ya just pulling cars ya dont like the look of

anyway enougb ranting on, he knows what hes done, hope he can sort it out though
Old 06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

il be interested to see what pigs make of road legal track tyres, specificly as many (inc the ones it looks like im having on my car) dont look to the untrainted eye like they got enough tread pattern to make them legal even when it is full depth.

i can see a lot of cops arguing that a few grooves cut in a tyre dont make it legal!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

steve its depth though, all non legal road tyres should state not for road use on it, like most the parts on my neighbours bike has on it

he doesnt care though but a bike is faster than a car in london
Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
In all honesty, when would you have changed them if you check them regularly?
Funny you should say that, car is off the road on the 10th for 3 months for restoration.

Bah, i don't care, shit happens eh Was just a bit pissed off at the time.

As for the old 'If you respect them they respect you!' thats total bollocks, especially when you're in the city, they have zero tolerance on anything.

PLUS i see there are people saying 'if you were nice to them and bit your tongue, they probably would have let you off' Like i said, i was complying with what the required of me, i was polite, and wasn't cocky. Once they issued me with the fines for the tyres, he said 'You'll get a letter asking you to appear in court'

THATS when i told them where to go, not before.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:37 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

unlucky m8 but if u run ur mouth and be cocky there's only going to be one winner
Old 06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Why is everyone saying unlucky?

You sped past a copper, tried to outrun them, got done for three bald tyres and gave them a load of verbal abuse.

You deserve everything you get and then some!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

cause pon he got caught, thats unlucky
Old 06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Snowy I do feel for you mate as looks like you're gonna get a ban. But If you try and outrun the old bill for 4 miles they are gonna be a bit pissed off before you even say anything. I think in this instance your actions said enough. They were probably gonna do you for something before they even examined the car just as a way of saying don't take the piss.

Not saying its right but its human nature. If you go into McDonalds and take the piss outa the spotty kid behind the counter his mate round the back will spit in your quarter pounder. It ain't right but its the way world works i'm afraid. If you have a go you've gotta expect a reaction of some sort. Whether its phlem in your burger or 9 points on your licence doesn't really matter. Its human nature.

Tomorrow's life lesson will be on the dangers of sticking your fingers into electrical sockets.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Uncle Henry
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
Steve its totally down to there prof opinion, i had a "random" stop and search a while ago in me 1300, they tugged me and looked at the tyres and said it was bald, called a traffic cop and a rac geezer person they had who also agreed, i was wearing a RSOC t-shirt and said i was a MOT tester and mechanic for fords and its got atleast 1k left in it, get out ya measuring tool and ill prve it, they never had one so they sugested i change it as legal limit still dont mean there totally safe for a performance car,,,,,, i then lifted the bonnet to reveal the 1300 push rod engine, he felt a cock
Thats a bit rude, did he ask you first or just go straight in for the grope?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fpmsl
Old 06-08-2005, 05:53 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To be honest, you havn't done yourself any favours at all being a mouthy fook ,as all it will have done (apart from being quite funny and making you feel better ) is piss the coppers off and make them think you REALLY ARE a cun* and you don't give a fook how badly maintained your car is , if you had been pleasant and apologized profusly and NOT kissed ass but just been polite, you might have got away with it
BUT, all is not lost ,this is what my mate did and it got him off 2 separate bald tyre 3 pointers

1) First of all, go and see (don't ring, its impesonal ) the coppers who you were rude to, say you are really very very sorry you spoke and acted the way you did, but you had been having a crap day, mum ill /dog died/ etc etc and It just so happened you took it out on them, and you realize now that they were only trying to do thier job etc..

2) get written proof you had the tyres checked 3 weeks ago, and they were legal.

3) get new tyres immediatly, and keep the reciepts, and take them with you and show them to the coppers when you go to do number 1 , and say I know its bolting the door after the horse has run etc, but it shows I take my cars roadworthyness seriously etc , and explain noone was more shocked than you when they found your tyres to be below the legal limit

4) tear up that letter to the superior, it will get filed in the B1n anyway, and just make them think you are a cocky arrogant prick.

5) if the copper doson't relent, take it to court with all the evidence that you have collected for above, and the judge should see sense, as long as your tyres wern't totally bald /canvas/wires etc and you can prove you had them checked a short time before, and you had them replaced IMMEDIATLTY after you found them to be out of limits, then they should see sense and let you off

all worth it if you don't want to have to take shitty public transport eveywhere, oh and insurace companys take a VERY dim view of car fault point codes on your licence and hammer you accordingly
Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 PM
big russ

Now your'e gonna be on public transport for a while,you best not try and out run them,You'll get shot and won,t have a chance to be cocky
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Snowy_Astra

Cheers guys I knew there would be a difference of opinion on this. I'm not going to go back to the coppers to kiss arse, i will send the the letter to the super, and i will go to court and see how it goes.

If i fail in court, then it won't be a ban, as i'll drag it out by appealing each time till my 10 points are off, so when i get the new points (if any) i will still be able to keep the licence.

I'm not bothered, i need some time to work on the car, i don't rely on driving for my livelyhood, or work, or anything, so its no skin off my back.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:54 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Matt J
Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Maybe they were borderline and rather than let them become potentially unsafe and illegal, thought it safer to book you for them. He wouldnt have known you were not going to drive on them for the next year and be responsible for a pile up on a motorway.
If there illegal then you cant really argue, but the above quote is bollox, they cant do you for something you MIGHT do, in the same way as he MIGHT of left them on for another year he MIGHT of been on his way to the garage to get them swapped the same day.

Coppers can only do you if something is illegal at the time, otherwise someone with new tyres could get done incase they leave them on for another 3 years without changing em and causing an accident
That is bollox. Put yourself in the policeman's (person's) shoes. A car is speeding who is trying to outrun the Police (or so it may seem to them). What does that say to the Police about the driver? For all we know it could have been 0.1mm on the legal side but either through spite (which is wrong) or being on the side of caution, they decide to issue the points. Not talking booking drivers for brand new tyres here. They were as near borderline as they could be run I would have said.

Brand new tyres and years down the road are not my point.

Snowy Astra - guess it was bad timing if it was going to be laid up soon anyway and have them changed.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not going to go back to the coppers to kiss arse, i will send the the letter to the super,

REAL REAL smart move , how does your letter go?? "Dear super, I was driving like a coont, when I saw a police car turm round to chase me, so I booted it being even more of a coont, but when they caught me instead of being polite and listening, and agreeing to sort my cars defects, instead I gave them a load of shit and bsically told them to fook off. Please can you let me off cos I hate you lot and don't think you ought to do me, fook you all pigs, snowy astra "
p.s , go catch some real criminas you filth

soz but I really don't think you are going to gain much, who's the super going to support??? Two of his officers who he knows well and probably is friends with, or some mouthy jumped up prick (in his eyes, not mine ) who is pissed off cos he got caught???? THINK ABOUT IT

Don't take this as a personal dig, I'm just trying to explain it the way the police will see it , and I wouldn't call it kissing arse apologisiing to the coppers, even if you don't mean it it will look good if you do end up going to court, as instead of the coppers saying "yeah, the guy was full of attitude and a coont", they might just say "well, he was a coont when it happened but at least he had the decency to come and apologise and expain why he was a mouthy fook, perhaps hes not such a bad guy afer all )
Balls in your court though mate, if you would rarther pay upto Ł1000 a tyre a 3 points a tyre, then add on legal expenses, do what you gotta do, but surley a quick sorry to the coppers is less painful than a pissed off JP hammering you
Old 07-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Bamber
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

mate go to kwik fit etc soonas get independant report done asap in writing but dont tellem why it will help you in court so long as they date and sign it