General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any BT broadband users keep getting disconnected ??

Search this Thread

Old 24-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any BT broadband users keep getting disconnected ??

I have been lately.......just wondering if anyone else is getting the same ?
Old 24-06-2004, 03:03 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

At home, all the bloody time recently!
Old 24-06-2004, 03:03 PM
fordy007
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I am on AOL broadband that uses a BT ASDL modem and its always disconnecting pain in the arse. Its something to do with the power stops going to the modem from the USB port so I'm told. Don't know how you sort it
Old 24-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Godspeed
Part of the Furniture

My mate had the same problem and it turned out to be his filter dying. If you've got another i'd give that a try first to make sure it aint signal related.

HTH

Cheers

G
Old 24-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the BT broadband connection thats was Ł19.99 a month at home and touch me wood, no problems....

However, we got the BT Connect Broadband at the showroom [bout Ł35? me dad pays 4 it so dunno...] and it is really really bad. IT's like me after a few stellas, can't keep it up....
Old 24-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Dan B
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by fordy007
I am on AOL broadband that uses a BT ASDL modem and its always disconnecting pain in the arse. Its something to do with the power stops going to the modem from the USB port so I'm told. Don't know how you sort it
Buy either a PCI (internal) ADSL modem (can pick them up for about Ł20-25), or an ADSL router (slightly more expensive).

The PCI modem still uses the PC's power, but since it plugs straight into a PCI-slot, it takes power from the power-supply directly, rather than through a USB-socket. The router will have it's own power-supply, plugged into the mains, so no chance of your PC affecting that (power-wise).
Old 24-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Dan B
Advanced PassionFord User

Oh, and to diagnose the intermittent/dropping connection, here's something I posted on another forum the other day:
==========================================
Firstly, when it disconnects, does your router/modem lose synchronisation? There'll be a little status light on whatever you're using, that'll be marked one of: synch, link, ADSL, line (or any other variation).

Check ALL other phone-sockets in the premises, and ensure that ANY devices plugged into them (whether they be phone-handsets, fax machines, Sky DigiBox, premises-alarm system, credit/debit card franking machine, anything) is plugged in through a microfilter (sometimes also called a splitter) of its own.

Do the disconnections coincide with anything, like a phone ringing, sending/receiving a fax, your anti-virus or operating-system updating, or anything else at all?

Try running the modem/router from the test socket (carefully unscrew the faceplate from your MASTER phone-socket, unplug the connector from the test-socket inside this, and plug your filter & modem/router directly into the socket inside this (this bypasses ALL extension sockets in the premises) and try it from there) to see if you still get the intermittent disconnections.

Next thing to try: if it's a modem, remove and reinstall the modem-drivers; if it's a router, reset it to factory-defaults and set it back up again. Try again.

Disconnect, and reconnect using the following details, and see if the disconnections still occur (you won't be able to browse anywhere, just see if the connection drops within 15 minutes of connecting):

Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: test (can be anything, really, but that's an easy one to type in)

If all else fails, contact your ISP who may require a few more tests before raising a case with BT ADSL Faults...
Old 24-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No problems on BT Broadband here at home.

We reported a problem to BT earlier in the week with one of our offices with ADSL and BT informed us of a nationwide ADSL problem.

Could be associtated..
Old 25-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Fiestasi-Andy
Regular Contributor

BT = GAY dont use em