General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castle Combe track organisation - What are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 PM
badger5
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
if anyone did not like what i was doing they only had to say so and i would have stopped it.

Then again,i got the 'best track car award' last year in the silveer saff.

Wonder why i got that!

Dave.
yea...and I got "overall car of the day" in 2003 in my SEAT Ibiza of all things... and that was'nt for being sideways, cos I dont.

A well driven, drifting car is entertaining to see. Its good fun. We all enjoy our respective cars, but I would'nt be trying it on a track day myself, such as Combe's one. Public are a fickle thing.. hero to zero in seconds.

Not having a pop at you specifically Dave, god knows you have had enough terrible luck. and I am very sorry for your loss. We're all car nuts who enjoy their brands etc.. BUT, I just dont think an event like Combes track day is the place for drifting. sorry dude.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 PM
RS DJ
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Sean Bicknell
Originally Posted by RS DJ
Sean opening post was very good and I didn't take offense if somethings not working then constructive comments are taken on board if it's working better somewhere else you people are the people to know I'am always willing to learn I may get you all to e-mail me so I have the armour to tackle the people in charge of the track to sort it before next year.

I personally do not want to be associated with something that is perseved as disorganised

Cheers Dave
Swindon/Bristol show Committee
Thanks Dave,

I thought long and hard before opening the can of worms, but I feel it is best that everyone vents there opinion in public (in a constructive way) so that one of the best events of the year can be made even better.

Sean..
Sean I only got an inkling that there was a problem with the track when I walked into the back of the Strawford centre with Tiff Needell into a heated discussion between 2 of our committee and a couple guy's from the track this was at about 3pm, as for the briefing fiasco I raised this at virtually every meeting as one of our members Bob Tilling pleaded with me to get it sorted because it has been an on going problem, I was assured that it was sorted and would not be a problem this year.

Now I don't want to say to much but the committee know what the problem is and we know how to sort it and hope we do because if it's not I won't be a part of the committee next year.

Cheers Dave.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:29 PM
chrismc
Virgin

Well im totally with Badger5 on this one! I was one of the unfortunate people sat in the pit lane with him for 2 hours+ waiting for all the overspill from the crash to be cleaned up!

Drifting & showboating has its place, but its not at Castle Combe on a "track day". As Bill has said, drifting doesn't have a place on "trackday" with other cars that are lapping quickly....

A track day allows you to explore the limits of the car as you generally cannot do on the road, but to delibrately put the car into sideways attitudes is asking for trouble..

Sadly, this is exactly what happened, & many people felt the effect, not just DaveCos 4x4

I thought the name of the game was to drive safely & swiftly, not play up to a few muppets in the crowd who have only come along to see a shunt..
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

badger5,

Not having a pop at you specifically Dave, god knows you have had enough terrible luck. and I am very sorry for your loss. We're all car nuts who enjoy their brands etc.. BUT, I just dont think an event like Combes track day is the place for drifting. sorry dude

Fair comment.

Dave.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just a quick question.....does it specifically say on the rules & regs/agreement that you sign that drifting on the track is disallowed???
Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM
DAB
Rs500 DataBase Editor

Location: In the Karate Dojo , or updating the rs500 database
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i am a little p.i.s.s.ed 500 mile round trip got there at 830 signed on briefing ect and then only 2 track sessions not good enough i wont be doing coombe again unless it changes
sorry people my opinion
daz
Old 12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Originally Posted by Lee_R21Turbo
Just a quick question.....does it specifically say on the rules & regs/agreement that you sign that drifting on the track is disallowed???
No, but I have seen peeps black flagged at Combe for drifting on a couple of occasions. Phil2400 (RWD saph) ended up in the sin bin, that was a couple of years back

The problem at Castle Combe is that the good drifters make it look quite easy to do and that encourages others (that have never done before) to have a go themselves........then you get a spate of "offs" and lots of delays/near accidents.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 PM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

I was gonna suggest a session for people that want to "drift" but that might cause more problems than it solves .

I think its a difficult one to solve ... I've seen a couple of accidents at track days that have been nearly as bad as Daves and they weren't drifting.

I think the people moaning at the fact they didn't get many sessions as a result is unjustifed. Its more due to the 12 cars per session/disorganisation and the fact it was just before the overunning parade laps!!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorry but track days are dangerous end of storey, i wouldnt give a flying fuck iof ya hit my car driving past ya own limit or going sideways and writing it off, still means ya done what ya couldnt do and if i dont agree to them terms then i dont go on track with cars and drivers i dont know

track days are to explore all aspects of the car, also i notice that alot of drivers of fwd cars seem to be against drifting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but might just be me looking too deep

now remember that track days are also about the crowd watching too, make it fun and exciting and people will come back, seeing the same car doing the same thiong every lap makes it look like F1 and lets be honest who watches every race all the way through for a whole season

what about a drift gruop going out at sperate times to attempt to balance em a bit

going fast anyone can do tbh and wouldnt interest me in the slightest tbh as i can do that on empty motorways for free, goind sideways needs real conditions and so trackday drifting is fun and the reason why i would do it tbh

but id personally only do bedford and thats a track for the non skilled monkeys like me to drive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dave 4x4 cos might like it for when hes back on the road

fair play for having fun, as too many people that do a few track days seem to go on like they are used to driving with jenson button
Old 13-07-2005, 07:25 AM
chrismc
Virgin

Originally Posted by b19bal

now remember that track days are also about the crowd watching too, make it fun and exciting and people will come back

id personally only do bedford and thats a track for the non skilled monkeys like me to drive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dave 4x4 cos might like it for when hes back on the road

fair play for having fun, as too many people that do a few track days seem to go on like they are used to driving with jenson button
WTF?? Who cares about the crowd? The majority of people watching are other participants anyhow...

I know it must be tempting to drift with RWD & big BHP (& enough Cossies were doing so whilst holding me up ).......but go & do it safely on an airfield! That way you can "have fun" in a safe environment without risking losing your prize possesion
Old 13-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrismc
WTF?? Who cares about the crowd? The majority of people watching are other participants anyhow...

[/quote]

i think thats wrong
Old 13-07-2005, 08:30 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

chrismc - track days are about having fun, away from the public highway... maybe you have reached the point of being serious enough to go racing instead... where everyone else out there is at the same level as yourself ?
Old 13-07-2005, 09:00 AM
chrismc
Virgin

Originally Posted by ** T **

i think thats wrong [/quote]

I dont understand?? The majority of trackdays are advertised on the NET & certainly don't draw a lot of public support. Most people who spectate at your average day are other track goers! Combe may have been an exception as it was an owners club day, but track-goers havent got an "obligation" to entertain those watching. That was my point..

As for going racing..im not that serious! Track days are fun, correct, & that generally involves driving hard & fast to see what your car is capable of. I just think drifting is a risky business, & adds another danger element. How would you feel if your car was hit by someone who had lost control whilst drifting???
Old 13-07-2005, 09:23 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Most people who spectate at your average day are other track goers!
What have you been smoking mate?

Any RS day where there is track action is gonna be spectated mostly by NON-track goers.

Look at RS National Day - 10,000 people through the gates, and about 200 of them will be regular track day goers.
Old 13-07-2005, 09:26 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How would you feel if your car was hit by someone who had lost control whilst drifting???
please don't get me wrong.. i quite agree that no-one should unneccesarily be putting another participant at risk for any reason..
The drifting thing has been singled out here due to one incident, which in itself is not particularly relevant, as there was no-one else close.
There are many more antics which I personally find much more intimidating and consequently potentially dangerous which occur all the time and no-one seems too bothered.. having someone climbing all over the back of you is more of an issue in my book, as you have no control over what they do.. I personally do not want to follow someone, who i am not happy about, closely enough to get in a tangle, I would prefer to let them go and give myself clear space front and back.. but that's my preference, i only have myself to worry about then

ultimately the Circuit operators have control over what they deem to be acceptable, and i have seen them exercise that control on plenty of occasions..
Old 13-07-2005, 09:46 AM
chrismc
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Most people who spectate at your average day are other track goers!
What have you been smoking mate?

Any RS day where there is track action is gonna be spectated mostly by NON-track goers.

Look at RS National Day - 10,000 people through the gates, and about 200 of them will be regular track day goers.
Fair comment...

But the idea that track users should entertain the crowd is a load of b*llocks!! Average Joe trying to drive like Tiff Needell= wrecked cars (& possibly people more importantly)i

I realise the incident @ Combe was a one-off & was generally quite impressed with the driving standards on the day...

Lots of people coming over & chatting about the car too, & no clique-ness between owners of different makes!
Old 13-07-2005, 09:49 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

You'll always find that at RS days, as most track day goers are sensible.

I was in the black MR2, and had no problem in using the indicator and letting people get on with it. Normally in the cossie, I'd have been so much quicker, but you have top appreciate there will always be faster cars...........

Annoying about some of these cossie drivers though - catch them up through the corners, and then they just boot it in a straight line
Old 13-07-2005, 09:56 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

quite fair i think.. I will only do RS days, i don't want to get involved with the "Action Days" due to the nobends that it seems to attract... there's always at least one joker with a Ł100 325i who doesn't give a stuff if he takes it home or not on those days..
Old 13-07-2005, 12:18 PM
badger5

Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
badger5,

Not having a pop at you specifically Dave, god knows you have had enough terrible luck. and I am very sorry for your loss. We're all car nuts who enjoy their brands etc.. BUT, I just dont think an event like Combes track day is the place for drifting. sorry dude

Fair comment.

Dave.
Fair Play Dave... we dont know each other and all that, but seem to come across as a very sensible guy. A lot of peeps would rant.

I wish you the very best of luck sorting it all out. Sorry you lost your motor from what should have been a fun day.

Good luck
Old 13-07-2005, 12:21 PM
badger5

No idea... BUT one to chew on..
We have a VAG asction day by Autotetrix Publications end of thi smonth and they now tell us that Slicks are specifically excluded from the hire license, and this is for all hirers of the circuit. RS club too?

Not applied if the case.

Would need to see the T&C's. I know its not mentioned in the briefings, but has been known for peeps to be pulled for being too lairy on track. (complaints made perhaps?)
Old 13-07-2005, 12:23 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Slicks were excluded at Trax too, as the wanted to keep the quicker cars corner speed down, as there were so many novices on track.........
Old 13-07-2005, 12:23 PM
badger5

Originally Posted by John Laverick
I was gonna suggest a session for people that want to "drift" but that might cause more problems than it solves .

I think its a difficult one to solve ... I've seen a couple of accidents at track days that have been nearly as bad as Daves and they weren't drifting.

I think the people moaning at the fact they didn't get many sessions as a result is unjustifed. Its more due to the 12 cars per session/disorganisation and the fact it was just before the overunning parade laps!!
a culmination of a lot of things.
Later before it bagan (signing on etc)
too few cars on track to keep a flow
accidents, recoverys, one serious
over booked? (maybe not)
just plain very popular, sunk by its own success?
Old 13-07-2005, 12:27 PM
badger5

going fast anyone can do tbh and wouldnt interest me in the slightest tbh as i can do that on empty motorways for free, goind sideways needs real conditions and so trackday drifting is fun and the reason why i would do it tbh

but id personally only do bedford and thats a track for the non skilled monkeys like me to drive
anyone can go fast?

can they?

Daft statement, but you do then clarify your comments..

but id personally only do bedford and thats a track for the non skilled monkeys like me to drive
Old 13-07-2005, 12:32 PM
badger5

I realise the incident @ Combe was a one-off & was generally quite impressed with the driving standards on the day...
well its not tho..
look familiar?
http://www.the-mpg.com/scoobycrash2004.wmv
Old 13-07-2005, 12:34 PM
badger5

Originally Posted by richm
quite fair i think.. I will only do RS days, i don't want to get involved with the "Action Days" due to the nobends that it seems to attract... there's always at least one joker with a Ł100 325i who doesn't give a stuff if he takes it home or not on those days..

Amen..
Had a spirited debate with Castle combe directors myself on their Action Days earlier this year.

Lunatic fringe element - well dodgy
Old 13-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by badger5
well its not tho..
look familiar?
Link dont work mate!!!
Old 13-07-2005, 12:44 PM
badger5

Slicks were excluded at Trax too, as the wanted to keep the quicker cars corner speed down, as there were so many novices on track.........
Interesting.
does'nt make a lot of difference to speeds for me... Road legal track tyres vs slicks.. Fast is still Fast, compared to slow.
Old 13-07-2005, 12:44 PM
badger5

Originally Posted by badger5
well its not tho..
look familiar?
Link dont work mate!!!
doh!
Old 13-07-2005, 12:46 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Annoying about some of these cossie drivers though - catch them up through the corners, and then they just boot it in a straight line
Erm...being a Cossie owner you must realise that they WON'T get through a twisty corner at a very impressive speed,however,exiting a corner at high acceleration rates is what they ARE good at.
Old 13-07-2005, 01:45 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Plynchy - yes - hence the smilie after

Just loads of track day cossies are just mega slow through the corners, and it's not always down to the cars!
Old 13-07-2005, 03:02 PM
badger5

Just loads of track day cossies are just mega slow through the corners, and it's not always down to the cars!
I dont think Martin Hadland or Steve Scott pedalled their very slowly...
blindingly quick...

It can be done.
Old 13-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so ... pon ... nice to see you keeping up the habit of falling off the track
so wished i had seen that rich the combine

at the end of the day its down to the combe track staff to decide what is and is not acceptable on the track....
Old 13-07-2005, 04:40 PM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Pics of the scoob for anyone thats remotely interested

Obviously not half as bad as Daves shunt
Old 13-07-2005, 05:09 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Eagle
so ... pon ... nice to see you keeping up the habit of falling off the track
so wished i had seen that rich the combine
Pete,

I'm on a mission to have one corner at every circuit in the UK renamed after me
Old 13-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

cool ... so ... where next????
Old 13-07-2005, 09:57 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

I dont think Martin Hadland or Steve Scott pedalled their very slowly...
blindingly quick...

It can be done.
Their's aren't exactly lightly modified road cars tho are they?
Old 13-07-2005, 11:41 PM
zoso11
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

now dave you didnt tell me you where drifting!!!

Wheres the link to the pix?
Old 13-07-2005, 11:50 PM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pon these are for you
they did not ban slicks on trax cuz i had them on
there was so many twats out there thow it was a nightmare
Old 14-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BROM@ZOO
there was so many twats out there thow it was a nightmare
thats the one reason i can't be arsed to do trax again .....
Old 14-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Brom, Slicks weren't allowed at Trax.

Just coz you get away with something doesn't mean its not against the rules...

Quick Reply: Castle Combe track organisation - What are your thoughts