General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MLR thread - 420 BHP on standard EVO turbo..everybody happy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MLR thread - 420 BHP on standard EVO turbo..everybody happy?

MLR (Mitsubishi Lancer Register) forum thread........

Over 400 BHP from a STANDARD turbo (320 ATW) with very few other mods, all verified on the best/most accurate/most advanced rolling road in the world.......WRC Tech in Silverstone

You'd think: Great News - Everybody Happy!

WRONG: 218 replies and 8,042 hits in just two days

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=82567

Hi All,
This topic of conversation has become a heated debate on the MLR in recent weeks, so we have decided to share our findings, and the well educated members of the MLR can come to their own conclusions.

Before commencing, it is important to remember the only accurate
measurement of flywheel BHP is on an engine dyno. The asterisk beside BHP and torque figures indicates that these values are estimated figures. However, in recent MLR dyno days these estimated figures have proven to be within 1% of most figures seen on an accurate and reliable engine dyno - Norris Designs in this case.

Our Dyno Dynamics is the largest capacity chassis dynamometer in the Northern Hemisphere. It is the largest and most sophisticated Dyno Dynamics dyno in private hands on the planet. There is one other system used by the Australian military for vehicle endurance and performance test testing. There is a lot of sophisticated software that we will probably never use.

One aspect of this software that is in constant use is Shootout mode. This locks out the operator from altering any of the dyno parameters which can influence dyno figures. The only values that can be entered into the system are the atmospheric conditions the run is performed under. If anyone can demonstrate that the figures can be altered - as suggested by someone on this forum - then I suggest you contact Dyno Dynamics in Australia and get the position clarified.

There was also a reference made to Shootout Accreditation - which is not available anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. To our knowledge I am the only Dyno Dynamics dyno operator in the UK that has been to Australia for Shootout training. We pushed heavily for being the only dyno in the UK with Shootout Accreditation - but Dyno Dynamics knew this would cause
even greater problems with other Dyno Dynamics facilities in the UK and the USA so we cannot put the boards up.

We have one of the largest chassis dynamometer dyno cells in Europe. The importance of a dyno cell is to ensure the atmospheric conditions can be controlled, which leads to repeatable results. We have run the EVO in question several times since the original graphs were posted - the results of which are listed below. Notice the atmospheric conditions change and the dates of each run are listed.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

WRONG: 166 replies and 6,211 hits in LESS than two days
They've been busy then!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Ive so so so little faith in WRC Tech its unbelivable.

Lots of reasons, but TBH i dont belive they know half as much as they make out they do.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Who cares?
Chip, try and get a drive of an EVO 6/6.5/7/8.......the one absolutelly astounding thing about them (apart from the handling and grip) that you would notice is how quickly that turbo spools up (especially the titainium one in the TME 6.5)........

Virtually ZERO lag and a manic burst of accleration that is VERY impressive and sooooo addictive. Then, make that turbo work harder with a bit more boost to improve the power delivery (even less lag) and as a bonus get 140 BHP more for a "few hundred" quid.

I know it does not answer your question - but with 3 year old EVO 7's selling for Ł 14 K nowdays it's starting to make Es Cossies look a bit expensive.......
Old 06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Whats the 6.5 version all about then Doug? Didn't know they did one, thought it went straight from 6 to 7?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Some bloke on their called evo-7 is posting acting like some sort of expert and then comes out with:

the size of the combustion chamber is fixed assuming the cams have not been changed

How can people post technical info with such a fundamental lack of knowledge?

How the hell would cams ever effect combustion chamber size?

Easy to see how people get tempted into arguing with such morons!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dan the 6.5 is what they call the Tommy Mak edition
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
Who cares?
Chip, try and get a drive of an EVO 6/6.5/7/8.......the one absolutelly astounding thing about them (apart from the handling and grip) that you would notice is how quickly that turbo spools up (especially the titainium one in the TME 6.5)........

Virtually ZERO lag and a manic burst of accleration that is VERY impressive and sooooo addictive. Then, make that turbo work harder with a bit more boost to improve the power delivery (even less lag) and as a bonus get 140 BHP more for a "few hundred" quid.

I know it does not answer your question - but with 3 year old EVO 7's selling for Ł 14 K nowdays it's starting to make Es Cossies look a bit expensive.......
doug i agree completely, ive driven Evos and they are great cars, im just saying who cares that there is an argument on another forum, which seemed to be your point, more than actaully an interest in the cars.

interesting read though on the whole, so i'll retract that "who cares" as obviously i do, so its a in my own foot for me then!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Ah, cheers Deano
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
Whats the 6.5 version all about then Doug? Didn't know they did one, thought it went straight from 6 to 7?
Well, officially they did go from EVO 6 to 7..........But, after the 6 had been out for about a year Mitsubishi won the World Rally Championship and produced the "TME" (Tommi Makinen Edition spl).......It was much more than just a re-badged 6 as it featured a titinanium turbo, new front bumper and interior, special white wheels and quite a few other "mods" including the option of the rally car decals.......so it became known by the dealers as the TME or "EVO 6.5"
Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dan
Ah, cheers Deano
Thick fooker
Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Some bloke on their called evo-7 is posting acting like some sort of expert and then comes out with:

the size of the combustion chamber is fixed assuming the cams have not been changed

How can people post technical info with such a fundamental lack of knowledge?

How the hell would cams ever effect combustion chamber size?

Easy to see how people get tempted into arguing with such morons!
Exactly Chip, people with too much money who want a fast car like an EVO, but then know nothing to maintain or modify it!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Anonymous
Banned

You can sum the vast majority of Evo owners up in one sweeping statement IME:

ALL THE GEAR, AND NO IDEA

Ive nothing against such people, who just want to own a car, pay someone else to work on it and never know anything technical about it, but i do have a problem with them when they then start trying to make out they are some sort of expert just cause they paid someone else to do something, have heard so many comments like "i should know ive got a 400bhp car" when in reality they have no idea how their tuner achieved that other than a list of bits, they dont know why those bits were chosen etc.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Deano
Originally Posted by Dan
Ah, cheers Deano
Thick fooker
Fook off!

I obviously knew about the the TME EVO, just not the 6.5 thing!

Couldn't someone just say AJ's car! lol
Old 06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dan
just not the 6.5 thing!
Like I said in the above statement
Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Ive nothing against such people, who just want to own a car, pay someone else to work on it and never know anything technical about it, but i do have a problem with them when they then start trying to make out they are some sort of expert just cause they paid someone else to do something, have heard so many comments like "i should know ive got a 400bhp car" when in reality they have no idea how their tuner achieved that other than a list of bits, they dont know why those bits were chosen etc.
Chip to be fair the EVO's are relativelly "new" so it will most likely be the 3rd/4th/5th owners that will be inclined to do their own engine mods......they will learn from what the PRO tuners do and more or less copy what is proven to work.

A good comparrison would be with Cosworths......3DR Cossie's were around in 1985.........and even 4/5 years later (1989/90) the only people tuning them were "works related" teams like (GGR/BBR/Rouse/Collins)............a few small firms/indivisuals set up and learned the hard way......be discovering how easy it was to blow the damn things up Many of those early small tuning companys have dissapeared.

But my point being that it would have taken a brave (os stupid) owner to "tinker" with their just out of warranty Cosworth in those days.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Anonymous
Banned

doug, its not that they dont do it, its they dont even understand whats involved that is my point.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Say what you like about WRC Tech (I don't know their work), but you can't knock that rolling road.

If you're gonna have one, it's the best in the country.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Hlafwat through reading the post, it does bear a remarkable similarity to one on here a few years ago about not being able to make 300bhp@ fly at stage1

Same non-believers sputing the same twentieth-hand information about the limits of turbos, fueling etc etc
Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

England, maybe
Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Hlafwat through reading the post, it does bear a remarkable similarity to one on here a few years ago about not being able to make 300bhp@ fly at stage1

Same non-believers sputing the same twentieth-hand information about the limits of turbos, fueling etc etc
Anyone who knows how to read a compressor map will know that there isnt ever an exact "thats it, thats all you are getting" value for a turbo, its just a case of effiency going down and being a pointless exercise to try and squeeze more when you can just bolt on a bigger one instead.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

WOW!! Mike R..........nice comprehensive reply on that MLR thread

And NO killer caps........think he only saves those for us over here on PF
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Mosi says (about Mike R):

"Christ On A Bike!
Someone with a brain - what an alien surreal experience for this place
Mike, could this lot do a Group Buy on any extra brain cells that you dont need please ?"
Old 06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

PMSL @ Mike!

Seems to be popping up on all the other forums, and attempting to put out fires/wind people up (delete as applicable )
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Dan
Originally Posted by Deano
Originally Posted by Dan
Ah, cheers Deano
Thick fooker
Fook off!

I obviously knew about the the TME EVO, just not the 6.5 thing!

Couldn't someone just say AJ's car! lol