General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Big Shout to the Croft crew! (dingy, matt, sean, Neil_s etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Shout to the Croft crew! (dingy, matt, sean, Neil_s etc)

I had another ace weekend down at croft.

Great laugh the night before with Dingy and his mad crew, setting fire to parts of their caravan after the BBQ coals ran out... wild night...

On the Sunday, big shout and thanks to Sean Bicknell for taking me out in the Exige. ACE little motor! Seans driving was nice and solid. I think the Subaru keeping up with us was the kick in the 4rse he needed, at which point the level was lifted and we set some SOLID fast laps! What a machine! FYI I timed some of your laps from the hill side.

1:41.9
1:41.7
1:41.4

The first lap was a totally clear track as u were leading and the others had back markers. Either way nice consistent times!

Dingy and Matt Bell Cheers for a top organised track day. All in all another wicked day. Thanks for the great hospitality an looking fwd to you lot heading up this way before summer is over!

Neil_s cheers for taking me out in the cossie One day you SO gotta give me the keys to that machine

Danger Dave. He's got me thinking, I could sell my ghia x v6 mondeo and get me a 172 clio cup. I loved that wee car. Daves laps were coming on strong and its a shame we ran out of track time! Next time eh!

Most of driving was pretty good. Only got one question. The guy was the sh!tty saph cossie in flint grey with plastic in instead of the headlights. What the FUCK were you up to nearly running into the back of the clio in the complex on the last lap. It frightens me to be on the track with people like that.. and in a car.. not much frightens me at all...

All in all a top day

I'll be back for the next one. TBh its a better day than national day, every year

RW
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Steve - didnt know u were there! U campin? Think Linsay must have spent some time with u
Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sean done really well in his car,just seemed to get further away all the time,well done mate.

Dave.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto as above - top weekend (apart from dave cos4x4 melting another piston )
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

RIck,

Not sure who Linsay is? I was camping across with Dingy and the others, Matt B etc.

Top weekend eh!

RW
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

apart from dave cos4x4 melting another piston )
lol,

Still feel shit.

Must say Tony,i was really impressed with your car,first time i have seen it perform.

Was in the subaru sti,blue one and you was giving us a good run for our money.

thanks for the offer too,did not want to break that too, , lol.

Dave.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:49 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Dont remember a Subaru Dave - was someone else driving it ? I only did about 16 laps all day

Luckily this strip down and engine rebuild will only cost us about Ł30 or so Those mini moto's are fun

I had 1 go at Sean's exige as we came out of the hairpin together, he didnt get away on the pit straight but left me for dead as I missed a gear in the bottom chicane, then all I saw was an orange dot getting smaller
Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

YUS,

I had an ace time today!

Some folk need a lesson in track etiquitte like

Nae bother with the laps rw - hopefully I'll find some more committment for next year

Neil.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Sean Bicknell
Advanced PassionFord User

No worries Steve, was glad to take you out. In my defence as you saw when you were in the car, it takes a good two or three laps for the tyres to get up to temperature. Was impressed that the Scoob hung on to us for as long as he did. Once everything was up to temp though we managed to leave him behind.

Tony, was good to meet you and have a look over your motor. Quite a few things out dragged me down the straights, it's really frustrating, but then thats 200bhp for ya. I have to say Oli's car was one of the quickest things I came up behind down the pit straight, he left me for dead till we got to the corner at the end. I was shocked at how well my car did on the brakes, I took loads out of everything under braking.

TOP DAY!!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Big Shout to the Croft crew! (dingy, matt, sean, Neil_s

Originally Posted by Steven_RW

Most of driving was pretty good. Only got one question. The guy was the sh!tty saph cossie in flint grey with plastic in instead of the headlights. What the FUCK were you up to nearly running into the back of the clio in the complex on the last lap. It frightens me to be on the track with people like that.. and in a car.. not much frightens me at all...

I was sharing this car with Andy today and there was a reason as to why he v nearly hit the Clio, cant remeber as im too tired and wasnt around at the time so keep your FUCKING SNIDE COMMENTS to yourself and find out the full story first. And who cares how it looks as the grey shell is only being used until his new one is ready and it still goes fairly well.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Oooooooooh!!!!!

Neil.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Jamo
Part of the Furniture

Was good to see you again Steve must of been a good 5 years ago when we did Stoke with Trubs and the rst's

I was saving what was left of that apple for later!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Sean,

I can appreciate that it took a while to get the car up to temp. I have driven similar tyres on a heavy car and they take a lap, on a light car I can appreciate it would take a couple! Ace car

Dave,

The tracks quite wide, the speed is very low at that point and the clio is a small target to aim for.

Edited to say, im not actually bothered as as long as it didn't hit it doesn't ACTUALLY matter, I was just surprised to see how close you guys came over what seemed like nothing. I'm pretty hardcore on track myself looking for any gap and usually get a bit of abuse at the end of the day. Just couldn't see ANY reason why we nearly got bumped at such a simple bit of the track?

Cheers

RW
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 AM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steven, I dont know what happened as i wasnt in the car or spectating at the time but I do remember Andy telling me something about nearly hitting a Clio and he isnt a wreckless driver by any means so im sure there will be a reason as to why he was so close and also neither him or myself had any warnings or comments from the marshalls and they woulndnt have been slow in letting us know if they had any issues.

Also why didnt yourself or the driver say anything to us on the day if you felt so strongly about it rather than waiting and posting it up on here ?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

i wrote a reply however it doesn't seem to have posted. Can't be bothered writing it all out again, however it went like this roughly.

Conclusion, miss is as near as a mile. Was primarily interested in enjoying the cool down lap working on the lines of the Clio Driver. So we moved on. Couldn't see a reason to have nearly crashed into a lovely little road car in a track going sierra when. This is the trouble with track cars and road cars on the same circuit.

If it was a mistake then thats fine, at the time it felt like a scrapper sierra not concerned about a little bump with a pride and joy. The reason i put it down to a scrapper sierra was every lap the passenger tyre hit the wing when turning hard right in the complex. That sort of car gave me the feeling of no regard for quality or safety.

RW
Old 04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As before I didnt see what happened myself but only comment on Andys general driving.

It does look like a bit of a scrapper and the shell is way past its best but no other option but to use it just now until the new one is ready. However just because his car looks far from nice it doesnt mean that we had any less regard for others on the track and also its not worth driving like a twat just to be sent off after driving all the way down and cost/time of getting everything ready. The wing was rubbing due to the slicks that were fitted were too wide, we cut and rolled the arches in the morning but still had problems with it rubbing even after that.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 AM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil S

Some folk need a lesson in track etiquitte like
Too fookin right

Some tosser in an Evo nearly hit me on the pit straight,he was driving like an utter prick
Even a load of lads in the pits after i came in said what a twat he was and if it happened to them they would have hit him on track to teach him a lesson!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Yeah, there was a cossie'd mkii that simply wouldnt get out of the way for me every session. He was dawdling round the corners, then planting it down the straights.

My little stage 1 didn't have the grunt to get past him

Frustrating, especially given the instructors very concise briefing!

Overall though, the day was fookin superb! Weather was kind to us, and Dingy, Gimpy and co did a top job of organising it all so faultlessly!!

Neil.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Which MK2 are you on about mate
Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Some white scrapper

No, it was a red one with holes in the bonnet over the turbo

What was the story when we overtook you? I'd LOVE a trip out in KIA one day

Neil.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Dunno when you passed me LOL
Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

On the approach to tower - you clearly weren't trying like

Watching you leave the hairpin was class - it was instant acceleration once you passed the green bus
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
andymaac
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

steven , i am the driver of the saff and it was not the cooling down lap, yes i may have been a bit close but he was going that slow , the driver of the clio was at fault as i was waiting till we got round hair pin before i over took as we were told but he indicated right and moved over nearly causing me to crash in to him and the car behind me , when the session finished whey did you not say some thing i would not off been hard to find, and as the car i may look shit but it goes well and has had a lot off money spent on it.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
c_w

Track time was good, but I'd agree with the etiquette comments about some people not moving over, and even worse being painfully slow round corners then booting it in a straight line, particularly the white sapphire with green L plate and the red MK2 cosworth all not letting people by, both very quick in a straight line. I could maybe understand it if I was slowly catching them but they were out of sight one lap and I was right behind on the next I think I got stuck behind the clio cup for a few laps too on one of the later sessions but that might be becasue he was tryuing to get past someone in front??
Old 04-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Flashing people over feels wrong too!!

c_w - is yours the MI16's 205?

If so, I was hoping to follow you round as your vid looked really smooth last year, and I could do with a bit of finesse lol

Neil.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
c_w

Originally Posted by Neil S
Flashing people over feels wrong too!!

c_w - is yours the MI16's 205?

If so, I was hoping to follow you round as your vid looked really smooth last year, and I could do with a bit of finesse lol

Neil.
Yes that's the one. I can't flash because I haven't any headlights I think I was quite a bit quicker this year as I was managing to use 5th on the last bit of Jim Clark esses entering barcroft.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Cool!

What kind of speed does that equate to then?

Neil.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Andymaac

I know it wasn't the cool down lap. I meant that after the event we set about enjoying the cool down lap. I only thought about the whole incident after getting home and reliving the day.

I dont think Dave indicated (or if he did it was after you nearly rammed into the back of him), he was actually trying to take the bend flat out on road tyres

Either way as long as it wasn't a hit thats all that really matters but at the time I couldn't figure out why u were THAT close. I would estimate it to be less than 6 inches what would you say?

RW
Old 04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

steve you know your more than welcome anytime pal, northern hospitality you see and yes derbyshire is north was very cool to catch up with you and andy

all, i have to hold my hands up and say that the track etiquette issues may partly down to the groupings, people filling last minute cancellations get what they are given, simple as, impossible task to sort on the day when all are present so some assumptions HAVE to be made beforehand. the format of booking will be changed next year if im having any involvement
Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Good point Matt - I had assumed that folk had put themselves in for inappropriate groups TBH.

That was the only regional day I'll be attending this year, and I loved every minute of it!!

Neil.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:06 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Agree with the groupings Matt.

Only issue I had with it was sending my car out in session C with a completely novice driver behind the wheel. Im sure if I had asked it would have been okay for her to go out in session A but the car and tyres needed to cool down before sending her out on track... a tricky one to solve maybe ?

Rest of the day and organisation/facilities etc was just superb and a credit to you all as usual
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Couldnt have been that bad if you just remembered on the way up the road or is it that you just arent man enough to walk up and complain to someone about their driving so have to resort to putting it up on this board.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

David,

I'l spell it out for you again as thats clearly necessary. At the moment of it happening I was really shocked as I couldn't figure out how on earth the cossie was that close to us. People at the side of the track said the car was clearly carrying too much speed. Andymaac has put up his piece and thats all fine. A miss is as near as a mile. These things happen. Where do you come into this having stated you didn't even see the event?

Thanks

Steven
Old 04-07-2005, 07:37 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I come into it as you were trying to have a go about one of my mates and we both want to know why you did not come up and say something at the time rather than leaving it and posting on here.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm quite happy with the explanation are u not?

RW
Old 04-07-2005, 07:43 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There has been no explanation or reason as to why you didnt come over at the time. thats all we want to know.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

David,

A. We didn't crash
B. I dont own the clio

this is an endless circle of time wasting. I'm bored with it.

Thanks

RW
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im very bored with it but still want to know why you didnt come over at the time ?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Does repeating the same question often get a different answer?

My answers are clearly labelled A. and B. above

RW
Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well why post about it in the manner you did then ?

Quick Reply: Big Shout to the Croft crew! (dingy, matt, sean, Neil_s etc)