General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just got new alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005 | 09:02 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Nothing that would interest you frog, its a cruising website me and clare used to use about 5 years ago.
Old 01-07-2005 | 09:05 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Old 01-07-2005 | 09:08 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Clare had a very seedy past
Old 01-07-2005 | 09:31 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Chip,

Most Clifford dealers never used to fit the wireless fuel cut anyway, as it's the one system that doesn't respond well to too many variables.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:04 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip no offence but thats rubbish about the loom and ecu situation

one of the imobilser cuts should be at the starter adn the toother at the fuel pump,,,,,,,, now dont get me wrong theres a easy as piss way of sorting that too but its not down to the lim only

btw any alarm if installed properly will be fine, every car ive ever seen with alarms have been shit with 1 exception and thats the cossie, thats got a clifford on there and the install is the bollox !!!, the tracker instalation i had to relocate as that was just stupid but the clifford in mine is the tits and its just a basic system, therewas 1 problem with it and that was the location of the proxy sensor causeing false alarms but that was false alarms caused by coins or foil near it making the proxy fook up as there not good with metal, thats now been relocated and its all sorted, the wiring and the location of the alarm is also in the fucking best location to fit one too

ive got a few mates who have done a few naughty things in life and thats where i got my info on whats good or not

my mate on the other hand has a clifford avantgaurd fittted to his car, cost him over a grand and the fuck cuts are on the igniton barrel only and located where the steering cowl is aswell so ya can by pass it with out even takign the dash out

when refitting his loom i was worried about the alarm but when we got it in place i was then worried about the instalation of his shit fitted alarm that he got done by a autherised dealer

its down to time, installers for clifford are just staff and not the owners and so they do cut corners, they also sell other alarms that also cut corners with too

ive had a cat 2 imobilser disconected from my old orion and started the car in 30 seconds, thats 80 quid down the drain, the wanker wanted another 80 quid to uninstall the fooker too, in 4 mins i cut the cable ties holding it to the steering colum and had iton the passenger seat in a bag

anyone who knocks cliffords and bigs up other alarms fitted by the same place i would soooo recomend ya get it looked at

cola the car ya had nicked, thats a tough one as the best alarm in the world aint gonna stop a tow truck driving of with it on the back, thats why i got a tracker and thats even a bit moody so im having another custom jobby fitted too that i can keep an eye on, aswell as my baby monitor that i leave in the car

toads are good alarms though chip and if ya fit it properly and not follow the instalation points ( never understood why all cars get em fitting in a set location, 106 in the passeger side under the dash for example as the fuse box is located there )

anyone who gets a copy of the disk will also known where to find the fooker

anyway essay over but all them who dont like cliffords as there crap is the same as people saying all cossie engines blow up and are unreliable , its al cowboy mechanics
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:08 AM
Anonymous
Banned

ginge, takes 1 minute to hardwire the fuel pump mate, and as for the starter motor, you obviously havent nicked any cars lately you just stick a jumplead to it from the battery for a couple of seconds to turn it over or pushstart the car, not faff around wiring the starter back into the key

Next you will be telling me that after they break in before they drive it they have to fit new glass and valet the fooker
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:12 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cola the car ya had nicked, thats a tough one as the best alarm in the world aint gonna stop a tow truck driving of with it on the back, thats why i got a tracker and thats even a bit moody so im having another custom jobby fitted too that i can keep an eye on, aswell as my baby monitor that i leave in the car
Thing is they drove it away (and promptly crashed it into a lamppost 3 miles up the road.. after racing my DUMB mate).

But that was on an old car, trust me the cossie is secure up to the eyeballs.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:14 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip i was just saying its not just a loom thats required

fuel pump is also a simply thing to sort but does confuse some

what i was thinking though for the effort thats involved it trying to get to the water temo sensor in a cossie and the other sensors

why not just tow the fooker away

also if ya only got 1 bonnet sensor then ya a fool too as even i got more than 1 sensor on the bonnet
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:15 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Any alarm is good if installed correctly. Saying that I will only install Toad and Laserline alarms (i'm an authorised Toad fitter) as ive had problems with CLifford alarms, particularly the brain on the Concept 300 and 50x's. Due to this personal experience with Clifford alarms I wont fit them! (got no interest ripping it back out for a warranty claim!).

Chris
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:17 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I heard about that brain issue with the late 50x and early G4 stuff, as they had a batch of faulty components...........
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:20 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Yep, in the past they have had a few issues, as have pretty much any company, hence now most of the components they use that are key ones are actually specifically built to their spec not bought off the shelf.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:21 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

glad to hear it cola, pm me the alarm details and location of the bat cave and ill confirm if its safe

well if they drove it then its a crap instalation behind the steering colum like most the other crap installs i see

but being honest when i first found out my cossie had a clifford i though "bollox" and when i swopped the trim and dash i thought i would look at the install, i made sure i looked at the install when i found the location of the tracker in the boots rear pannel where the jack is ment to be located

but the clifford is the bollox of a install , i was soooo suprised as most cliffords are done the worst as there sold the most so more chance of seeing a bad one

chip good luck on the install and im sure ya not gonna be unhappy

i wish i had more toys on my alarm though as i got the channels but the owner just wanted a cat 1 alarm for the insurance, which is cool tbh

oh and chip alot of companys dont like paying the 10k fee to be thatcham aproved was one reason i was told a while ago why some alarms aint cat 1, also some have a glass break sensor or somink like that where thatcham dont allow, cant remember what it was though
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:24 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as said they are good alrams and most of the problems are down to the fitting
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:25 AM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
glad to hear it cola, pm me the alarm details and location of the bat cave and ill confirm if its safe
trust me, its safe
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:26 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

particularly the brain on the Concept 300 and 50x's

concept 50x did have issues as i remmeber that issue with em, a mate got locked out of his car with the roof down in epping forrest then it started to rain

the concept 300 i got in my car and apart fromthe proxy being under the hand brake adn change and chewing gum setting off the alarm znd driving the neighbours mad the only other issue is the batt drain it does. but i got 2 cat 2 imobilisers, cat one alarm and a tracker , bound to be a little drain there

btw what do people thing about the multilock gearbox lock thing as i got a mate who might be selling his soon and thats a top idea, got one to be fitted in my car soo as i can be arsed ( cheers jim, cost me a coke )
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:27 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Depends on the type of glass sensor, thatcham is concerned a lot with not giving false alarms and frequency senstive mic type window sensors are a bastard for false alarms.

IIRC clifford spent in excess of 20K on their latest thatcham approval tests, its an expensive business, some of the tests (like the vibrations one for example) last for 3 months 24 hours a day.

As far as im aware the 650 is the ONLY alarm to have ever passed thatcham first time, thats what thatcham told clifford anyway, every other alarm (inlcuding previous cliffords) have had to be retested after amends.
Thatcham dont like alarms passing first time, as they cant charge you again for the tests

With regards to channels, you can but a 3 channel expander for the clifford for about 50 quid full trade price, and install up to 4 of them, so you have the possibility for 14 auxillery channels including the two in the alarm.

I cant even beging to think of 14 things i need to operate from my alarm key fob TBH, i will just get one expander probably.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:34 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip i was thinking of a seperate boot lock, lights and anther, i got a blitz turbo timer that dotn get along with the clifford and at times when its going off i cant set the alarm as the cars still running

but thats cause the relay need to close and open to trick the alarm to thinking the cars stopped , this way dont interfere with the imobiliser as that dont kick in for 60 seconds before anyone thinks my cars easy pickings via the turbo timer ( as thats what i thought with it )
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:40 AM
Anonymous
Banned

With a recent clifford you dont need a seperate turbo timer if you install it correctly, you can do that with the alarm.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:46 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by chip-3door
With a recent clifford you dont need a seperate turbo timer if you install it correctly, you can do that with the alarm.
And invalidate the Cat 1 certificate at the same time.

Or so we were told by our alarm fitters when we had nat's in for an installation certificate for the insurance company.

The guys removed the remote start and delayed off facilities otherwise, no certificate
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:50 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

frog ya need a proper installer to be found mate

but dont worry as turbo timer is a computer part that the disabled

fookers for doing it though,

btw any turbo timer invalidates it as its because the cars left running when nobody is in the car, even though the engine cuts when ya try and move it or on mine it cuts out after 60 seconds anway as the imobilser kicks in

chip my turbo timer is a boost gauge too and set for the correct amount based on use ect, if i dont rag the car it goes for 10 seconds

and its another gauge, ill see if i got a piccy as its in a nice location
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:52 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

not a good piccy but look under the boost gauge and through the steering wheel spoke, about where the fog light switch is
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:01 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by b19bal
frog ya need a proper installer to be found mate
Ginge, I have, and I trust them 100%

I'd rather take their advice and start / stop the car myself properly than risk not being covered by my insurance company if the car is stolen, worse, if they decided that the add-ons would be good reason enough to not pay out on a major 3rd party claim
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:05 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats a good logical point, as ya know im not that way inclined
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:07 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Technically the thatcham approval IS invalidated by a turbo timer, but ONLY during the time which the timer is running, if its gets stolen after the timer has stopped running and the alarm is fully armed then its still covered.

On an integrated turbo timer like you can do with the 650 it shuts the turbo timer off if the door etc is opened, so at that instant becomes thatcham approved again.

Would be very difficult for an insurance company to try and claim that your car wasnt thatcham at the time, especially as they would first have to recover the car complete with the alarm still installed and working before they could prove you had the turbo timer operating anyway!

So basically if its a seperate turbo timer you are likely to have an issue potentially but if its intergrated to the alarm you arent.

After all the alarm passed thatcham with that capability to be used as a turbo timer, so there isnt anything on there that wasnt when the alarm was approved.

Does that make sense, not sure ive worded it very well?
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:07 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

No comment gingster
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:08 AM
Anonymous
Banned

PS

Personally i always like to leave my car in gear, so turbo timers and me dont get on for that reason!
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:14 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip its a add on with software though and the insurance will make it invalid, if the cars nicked and it a bigger engine, even though thats not why ya claiming its still invalid, if ya car gets nicked during the day at ya house and ya have a garage they still come round to see if ya got a garage anyway even though it wasnt over night

but im not worried about that, any fooker who looks at nicking my car will all my bells and whisles on it will prob got for the M3 evo, the slk55 or the other nice motors on my road rather than my ford sierra with 2 rusty doors and covered in berry shite

besides all the parts worth any money are in my little girls bedroom, well apart from the wheels but black wheels only make it look more like a sierra rather than the CHROME SPINNERS , on the dakar yellow M3 evo with the jamican flag ont he plates and the air freshener

joys of a black neighbour hood, people are too afraid to visit and touch cars incase they aint nice people
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:17 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Ginge they cant just invalidate your insurance cause they feel like it, they would have to PROVE that your vehicle wasnt protected by a thatcham approved alarm at the time.

How do you propose they do that when your car has been nicked?
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:26 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Technically the thatcham approval IS invalidated by a turbo timer, but ONLY during the time which the timer is running, if its gets stolen after the timer has stopped running and the alarm is fully armed then its still covered.
*cut to keep short*
Perfectly worded, I guess it all depends on whether the add-ons are tested by thatcham too, if only the "basic" alarm is tested, the add-ons could arguably invalidate the certification.

We could discuss this till the cows come home, at the end of the day, I don't need a turbo timer, or remote start, so it's pretty academical to me
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:31 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by frog
*cut to keep short*
Perfectly worded, I guess it all depends on whether the add-ons are tested by thatcham too, if only the "basic" alarm is tested, the add-ons could arguably invalidate the certification.

We could discuss this till the cows come home, at the end of the day, I don't need a turbo timer, or remote start, so it's pretty academical to me
I agree with that, i dont think turbo timers are really needed personally, i normally just drive steady for the last 30 seconds or more anyway, then just switch off after about 10 seconds as i get out after ive taken the stereo face off etc.

Was just giving the legal point of view as best as i understand it.
Old 01-07-2005 | 12:37 PM
BAZZA BOY2
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Well i got a clifford on my saph and its great no faults at all!!

my mate got a toad on his audi and it had to go back 3 times twice cos the sensors were nackerd and it kept setting it self of and the 3rd was because the key fob wouldnt work so he could only open the doors with the keys but then the mob would still be on so he couldnt go anywhere, also as soon as he did open the doors the alarm would sound!!!!

i agree with the others half the time its not the alam at fault but how its been installed etc!!
Old 01-07-2005 | 12:59 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Those toad problems sound like a shite installer who didnt remove the standard Audi prox, thats exactly what would happen in that case to either a Toad or a Clifford.

Basically it goes like this:
Cliffords have no real faults
Toads have some immobilisation faults but no sensor or alarm faults
Most installers are fucking clueless braindead morons with no GCSE's

So when you have a problem its easy to see where to start looking
Old 01-07-2005 | 01:10 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Those toad problems sound like a shite installer who didnt remove the standard Audi prox, thats exactly what would happen in that case to either a Toad or a Clifford.

Basically it goes like this:
Cliffords have no real faults
Toads have some immobilisation faults but no sensor or alarm faults

So when you have a problem its easy to see where to start looking
yeah deffo, clifford are shit alarms

i also got a toad alarm that i fitted to me cabrio and was the first alarm i ever fitted, was told by a company what to do and then told what else i could to to make sure its done proper
Old 01-07-2005 | 05:58 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks mate!
Old 01-07-2005 | 07:51 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cfoster

thanks mate!
he forgot to add

" or retired city pretty boys with too much money and hair dressers cars in yellow "

Old 01-07-2005 | 11:41 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 02-07-2005 | 11:38 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Any one driving a yellow car is blatantly gay if you ask me, and its not just me who thinks that, my boyfriend said the same