General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Performance Ford people! Here is an idea for ya....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005 | 10:10 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Default Performance Ford people! Here is an idea for ya....

Have been talking to a few mates and one was going on about how much power he got on the Engine Advantages Dyno and another imediately turned round and said that dyno over reads you should use such and such cus the tuners are better and they Dyno more accurate.

And thats about time the ol tuner loyalty kicked in from both of them and had a blazing "discusion" about it.

So what I am thinking is how about you guys get a car, get a bunch of ECUs for it. Stick one in, take it to be tuned up on a rolling road, tell them to set it up, get the results and keep them safe.

Then take the ECU out, replace it with a normal one, take it to someone else and so on and so forth untill you have ecu's that have been mapped by loads of different tuners. Then take the car down to brunters, strap on the timing gear and test each one for 0-60 0-100 and top speed.

Then take the times you have got and compair them to the dyno print outs and score them accordingly to how accurate the performance is Vs the Dyno and how much each tuner managed to get out of the car.

That way we can stop arguments like this and finally put these rolling road peoples money where their mouth is.

What ya think?
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:11 PM
Sx Drifter

sounds expensive.....
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:11 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

you paying for it?
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:13 PM
Barry_GTi
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Well if the tuner is confident I am sure they will be happy to tune it and win the event.....

BTW I think it's a cracking idea.........
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:21 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Sx Drifter
sounds expensive.....
give ya any money when they walk into a shop and say "we are from performance ford and we want you to map this car." they will fall over themselves to do it.

Besides if they can send their crew to some channel island to report on an RSOC branch meet I'm sure they can afford to tune a car a few times
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:29 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i think thats a bit OTT, but taking one car and comparing it on a few different rollers aint a half bad idea!

would have to be done on the sly tho, ie use a mate not nick/dave/ben and not have it talked about so people dont see it coming...
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:33 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

my car needs mapping badly, how about we use it??

Old 09-05-2005 | 10:49 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

ok so maybe doing a full test is a bit ott, but, would be damn interesting to see dont you think?
Old 09-05-2005 | 10:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dont see any reason why tuners whould wanna have that as all its gonna do is decide where people should go but dont forget the tuners pay to advertise in the mags !!!!!!!

im sure they dont wanna upset there paying customers

thats why i take anything wrote in a nag with a pinch of salt as ya getting the opinion of a writer whos car is also been used by that garage for work, when are they gonna give the real answers no matter how good the garage is ya dont know as they are using em

notice mags also have time where they rave about the latest products ect and then the old ones are forgotten about
Old 09-05-2005 | 11:02 PM
Sx Drifter

bah... just run a megasquirt
Old 10-05-2005 | 07:40 PM
Nick-T
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
dont see any reason why tuners whould wanna have that as all its gonna do is decide where people should go but dont forget the tuners pay to advertise in the mags !!!!!!!

im sure they dont wanna upset there paying customers

thats why i take anything wrote in a nag with a pinch of salt as ya getting the opinion of a writer whos car is also been used by that garage for work, when are they gonna give the real answers no matter how good the garage is ya dont know as they are using em

notice mags also have time where they rave about the latest products ect and then the old ones are forgotten about
A few points to make on this one

I don't speak for all magazines, but feel the need to clarify a few things.

We've always stated that we speak as we find, and we do stick to it. Take a look at the review in the current issue for the rally school and the nitrous test in the same issue. Also cast your mind back to our test on the Vortech exhaust

When we test something, we print the results that we get, otherwise there'd be no point in doing the test. We could just have a fitting guide and then say yep it was better, or I felt a difference like some mags do, but instead we like to back it up with facts and figures so people know what they're buying. Hence why we do back to back tests on rolling roads or use timing gear to see the difference that the parts make to the performance of the car, which is really what it's all about.
We're pretty suire that you guys would rather see what something can really do rather than "yeah it feels quicker"

We tell the maufacturers when we organise the tests that we will print the results if they're good or bad.
If we tested a product, found out it's shit but say in our write up that it's really good go out and buy it, we'll have a lot of unhappy readers wanting to know why they didn't get the same results as we did.

Also about the garages we take our cars to, we do give our opinion on their capabilities, because we know their capabilities. We take our own cars to them so we must be confident in their work or we would go elsewhere
Old 10-05-2005 | 07:45 PM
Phil
Jeebus

It would be very interesting to take one car and run it on all the popular rolling roads around the UK You would need some figures like ambients, charge temps, barometric pressure (i think?!) etc to make it worthwhile comparison but it would no doubt be interesting!
Old 10-05-2005 | 07:53 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Old 10-05-2005 | 08:01 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Aint that been done? I'm sure I can remember reading sommat about one car going to a few different rollin roads...

Twas a while ago now mind... prpbably while Mac was still in shorts...