General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone own or driven a Skyline R32/R33?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Anh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
Jesus mate, get a clue

They both good cars, but you clearly have no idea and are just doing your damndest to make GTSTs look just as good as GTRs. Both good cars but FAR more different than your making out

Either blinkered or havent a clue. Id reply in more detail but at mo im at work WRITING THE TECH STUFF FOR A JAPANESE CAR MAGAZINE to pay for my SKYLINE GTR, while also finding out a few bits and bobs for my mates 600ATW RB30 ENGINED RWD S13...
So sorry if i not wrote in more detail than some goon with a lightly modded old supra

If it was to just do a top speed infact you might be best off with a GTST base car

GT-R is techically superior, but then again, so it should be being it is a homologation model, and you have to spend the extra money for it. You do know what the purpose of homologation is for don't you?

As a road car, in addition to the extra outlay, there is no significant advantage in carrying an extra 200 kg, the 4WD extra transmission losses and an extra .1 litre of displacement if you just plan on running a car with modest power levels.

Am I supposed to be impressed that you write columns for japanese car magazines to finance your 15 year old off-the-road shed? Half the writers out there don't know what they are talking about, and it's clear to me which camp you're on.

I'm glad mk3 supra's aren't wanked over by goth-faced magazine racers like yourself, you can insult my car in all the childish forms you like but all it does it justify my choice in cars.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:04 PM
jasonp
Advanced PassionFord User

Just buy one dragon i loved mine and i owned nearly ever decent RS ford made and i cant see me going back.

Buy a decent one and you can have shed loads of fun and reliability Dont bother going down the GST route its not worth it

Anh have u driven a GTS or a GTR..?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear, how little clue you have about anything just pours out with every mouthy forum warrior style post

So why Anh? You Vietnamese or is it abbreviation for Absolutle Nob Head?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Lovely piccy Jason. Midnight Purple, easily the best colour Those rims really suit it mate

Old 03-05-2005, 03:22 PM
jasonp

cheers lee the women who bought it crashed it 2 days later and destroyed the wheels D2RTY looked nice in midnight purple with those rims i thought
Old 03-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Skylines, but despite the car's being the dog's danglies, the tuning for these is in the dark ages . People always slate the Cossies for being old hat, and the actual technology that makes up an RS is certainly that, but by comparison to the tuning that is done on Cossies, the tuning that is done on Skylines is neolithic and a BACKWARD step .

There is only one car in the country at the moment that I am aware of that has been "semi" properly tuned and unsurprisingly enough, that car has just done a 9.6s quarter....

People seem to take the technology OFF the Skylines and revert them back to basics .

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there is not one single recognised specific Skyline tuner in this country that I would take my car to if I owned one .
Old 03-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Keiths car properly goes man... heard rumours of a 160mph Terminal on one pass?!?!?!? if thats true then Christ on a bike its fast and its going to go alot faster on the 1/4 once it gets hooked up
Old 03-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Steve, didn't realise you can write Japanese?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Anh

A few good points there, Mike.

Alot tuners and fanboys tend to blind people with the "advanced technology" on the Skyline, but yet it adds weight to the car and the increased number of working parts raises the probability of things breaking down.

Reliability can 99% be dealt with, but there will always be the extra weight. You have to look at the net effect any technology has on performance. 4WD gives you traction advantage, yet it adds weight and increases transmission losses.

I will now quote Colin Chapman (A REAL car engineer, not some magazine columnist): "just keep it simple"
Old 03-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
People always slate the Cossies for being old hat, and the actual technology that makes up an RS is certainly that, but by comparison to the tuning that is done on Cossies, the tuning that is done on Skylines is neolithic and a BACKWARD step .
Yes and No my retrosexual friend

Removing shite like the rear wheel steering isnt a bad thing, and ive binned crap like aircon etc as its more weight than its worth, but ENGINE specs i totally agree with you, almost all are way off the mark in my eyes.

Ancient technology overpriced junk, and specced in such a way that gives feckin horrendous powerbands and power delivery for no real increase in top end.

Hence why mine is specced totally differently from any other GTR ive seen in the UK, but quite a bit like a lot of modern spec cossies...

Why you mention Keiths car tho Mike? Its an awesome car, hence the 160mph terminal speed, but barring Autronic i see nothing in the spec remarkably different from the traditional big power ones, and on that engine powerband isnt an issue anyhow, its all out power, and thats never been a problem.

Getting power from an engine dont take a genius, its all pretty obvious, its giving it as big a powerband as poss with as much torque as well at that power, thats the real talent...

As well as not spending huge amounts of cash for owt, which is what most fail on

Keep it simple is the way tho, most stuff is totally superfluous (or however you spell that word that means its a waste of feckin space )
Old 03-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Steve,
Hence why I think it is only "semi" tuned . However, at least it is properly mapped, which for a Skyline is almost unique .
Old 03-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

You got that fookin right But the sheep still blindly follow their leaders in the UK Skyline pack

As for me, I think il be paying Stu to come down Brunters to map my car
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Dragon

Guys chill out

As already pointed out, I'm not interested in mega BHP - I just want something newer and different to the RS's i've had. The most the car would ever get is a stage 1 setup to push it the skinny side of 300bhp which will be more the adequate.

So, in conclusion, a GTST is more than sufficient, within budget and shouldn't carry the inherent 'wallet killing' pedigree of the GTR. Ok, granted it doesn't look nearly as good as the GTR, but then there are limits to my funds.

So stop agruing LOL

Jason - you just have far too much money - everytime I see you, you have a different car. I take it the drugs market is still very affluent in Romsey What ever happened to that battered RST I sold you that ended up with Viper?

Jim.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:06 AM
jasonp

lol drugs buisness in romsey is sweet the over 90 years olds is a niche market

your car is still alive and kicking in southampton m8
Old 04-05-2005, 12:56 PM
ADUSR33

I love Skylines, but despite the car's being the dog's danglies, the tuning for these is in the dark ages . People always slate the Cossies for being old hat, and the actual technology that makes up an RS is certainly that, but by comparison to the tuning that is done on Cossies, the tuning that is done on Skylines is neolithic and a BACKWARD step .

There is only one car in the country at the moment that I am aware of that has been "semi" properly tuned and unsurprisingly enough, that car has just done a 9.6s quarter....

People seem to take the technology OFF the Skylines and revert them back to basics .

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there is not one single recognised specific Skyline tuner in this country that I would take my car to if I owned one .
yeah ronnys car won ten of the best 3 years running with a old hat turbo aswell
Old 04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Anh

Originally Posted by Dragon
So, in conclusion, a GTST is more than sufficient, within budget and shouldn't carry the inherent 'wallet killing' pedigree of the GTR. Ok, granted it doesn't look nearly as good as the GTR, but then there are limits to my funds.

Jim.
I'm sure there is plenty of GT-R style kits out there.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Dont make a replica for gawds sake

And the real ones have far wider arches thatd be well expensive to fit.

And why? Esp when there far better looking kits around...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Adus,
Have you ANY idea how much money it he has had to sink into the car though ?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Anh

GTS-T: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/573222
GT-R: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...ad.php?t=22127

In my opinion the front of the GTS-T is where it is let down with the standard bumper and that grill.

The rear acrhes isn't quite as aggressive as the GT-R model, but it doesn't look bad either way.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
jasonp

jim go for a r32 GTR IMO mate
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...ad.php?t=36331
Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Can't stand non-GTR Skylines... Just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:29 PM
jasonp

agree lee their like women with a dozen fake gold necklaces and 10 rings NASTY and cheap looking
Old 04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Philip
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

You got that fookin right But the sheep still blindly follow their leaders in the UK Skyline pack

As for me, I think il be paying Stu to come down Brunters to map my car
Steve,

I think you're a bit quick to judge. For example, my car runs F-CON V Pro because that's what it came with when I imported it and the people who look after it can map it easily and effectively.

No doubt if I was starting from scratch I'd go MoTeC/Autronic, maybe even AEM, but F-CON is plenty capable enough for my needs for now.

Now there are more cars over here I think you will see more bespoke and UK-made parts appearing for them.

Mike,

What do you think is so backward, specifically?

Phil
Old 05-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A nice 32GTR can be had for very reasonable money so I wouldn't consider a lesser model. All the hulaballou about GTRs driving themselves and being a sterile experience is a load of bollocks. Its a really rewarding car to drive and as regards running/servicing costs my 34GTR did better mpg when running in stg1 400hp trim than my small turbo 300hp EsCos. A full service on the GTR cost me Ł245 at Rod Bell Motorsport.
There is a far more diverse tuning GTR scene with no real consensus on whats the best route to a given power output (big single or twin turbos/stroked, bored or both/long duration or high lift cams etc) whereas by and large Cossie tuning is just about set in stone until the most extreme tunes (400+hp).
Old 05-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Dragon

Originally Posted by jasonp
lol drugs buisness in romsey is sweet the over 90 years olds is a niche market

your car is still alive and kicking in southampton m8

Good to hear it as it had an almost new engine in it I just hope it's been painted by now

Re: R32, I'm not overly impressed with the looks. Perhaps a decent set of rims would make it look better
Old 05-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Philip

Mike,

Phil
1. The backward way they are mapped (or the inability of the alleged top tuning companies to be able to do this beyond a certain level ).
2. The removal of the OE throttle butterflies and fitting a single throttle body / plenum (probably because of 1. ) (ruining drivability and creating lag).
3. The removal of the twin turbos and sticking single turbos on (ruining drivability and creating lag).
4. Something like Pectel T6 has the ability to run the individual maps required for the throttle butterflies as well as controll the clutch on the 4x4 set up (which would improve the quarter mile time, as it could be run fixed 50/50 on launch, before reverting back to normal operation - all ECU controlled via wheel speed sensors etc).

It just seems that the Skylines are not tuned to the same level of professionalism as the Cossies are when it comes to mapping...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Muzz

Think they are ugly as fook but the highly tuned ones are impressive.

Would highly recommend you driving a Supra before you buy a Skyline first, cos i've driven one and now im in love
Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 AM
jasonp

muzz have u driven a skyline..? i thought the skyline was alot better than the supra personally as i nearly bought one myself.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Muzz

Na never driven a skyline but for me the Supra has both the looks and the drive..those clever systems keeping the arse end in gear kinda kills it for me with the skyline. I have only ever driven a N/a Supra and that was quick, those tt's must be fucking lightening!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Driven both alot, both very good. Supra much more of a cruiser and more comfy. Skyline much more involving and fun in my experience.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Dragon

Originally Posted by Muzz
Think they are ugly as fook but the highly tuned ones are impressive.

Would highly recommend you driving a Supra before you buy a Skyline first, cos i've driven one and now im in love
The Supra is another option and I've done a lot of investigation on these through the owner's club. I have driven them too

Only useable in the dry though unless you want to put a motobility sticker on it and stick to 25mph
Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Philip

Originally Posted by Philip

Mike,

Phil
1. The backward way they are mapped (or the inability of the alleged top tuning companies to be able to do this beyond a certain level ).
2. The removal of the OE throttle butterflies and fitting a single throttle body / plenum (probably because of 1. ) (ruining drivability and creating lag).
3. The removal of the twin turbos and sticking single turbos on (ruining drivability and creating lag).
4. Something like Pectel T6 has the ability to run the individual maps required for the throttle butterflies as well as controll the clutch on the 4x4 set up (which would improve the quarter mile time, as it could be run fixed 50/50 on launch, before reverting back to normal operation - all ECU controlled via wheel speed sensors etc).

It just seems that the Skylines are not tuned to the same level of professionalism as the Cossies are when it comes to mapping...
Mapping has come on in leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. It's not rocket science in any case.

Single throttle bodies aren't used much in the UK, and if they are it's on the big power drag cars. Not sure how it would cause lag, would obviously affect throttle response.

Twin turbo/single argument - no evidence that I've seen to suggest it ruins driveability, obviously depends on the turbo (i.e. a T88 on a stock engine isn't going to be great) - I've seen the dyno sheets from a 2.8 engine with a T04Z which was making more boost more quickly than a 2.6 with little GT-SSs.

Management - I suppose people are put off MoTeC, Pectel, Autronic etc. because you need to make up a loom. When the AEM becomes available I imagine this will change - that has the ability to control other stuff and plugs straight in.

Phil
Old 05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Muzz

I didnt think they were that bad in the wet.

And the way they handle in the dry is worth keeping them out of the rain anyway .
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
boXXer
GASH!

GTS= RWD = More fun
GTR= 4wd= Grandad Mode
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Wow mike, you talk shite dont you
When you said about Keiths engine being modern i thought "hmm, mike dont actually have much GTR knowlege then" and now youve shown it

1) Agree with the mapping thing, some are shocking.

2) Removal of standard 6 throttle is VERY rare in the UK, infact i can only think of TWO off the top of my head, ME and Keith Cowie so and TBH it barely changes driveability in the slightest, and thought you knew enough about cars to realise that...

3) Thought you knew enough about turbos to realise the twins dont create noticable more lag than a single Only reason many single conversions are laggy is they use old 70s truck turbos like T78s and T88s.
Use shit turbos, single or twins (trust me, most bigger twins conversions are laggy as FUCK) and theyl be laggy, use good ones and they wont, amount makes feck all difference.
My turbo is rated to over 900bhp and il put money im on 30+psi by 4500rpm

4) Mapping again, i agree.

So to sum up mike, I can tell Harvey dont do GTRs as you obviously didnt have his help on that one

I gotta say, seems most the people commenting on the cars and what they like on this thread seems to never have driven one in their lives
Old 05-05-2005, 07:23 PM
BEC_400

Poor mans Porsche 911

Until you tune it ŁŁŁ
Old 06-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Steve,
I think we just have different ideas about what is acceptable as levels of response .

I concur about the poor choice of single turbos though, but as you seem to agree, this does affect driveability and this is the point I was making, so am confused why you are disagreeing with me, but at the same time agreeing with me .
Old 06-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Have YOU ever tested the difference in responce between the std 6 throttles and a well designed single setup? NO, so shat it
Infact even IF there was a slight drop in responce itd be worth it to be able to bin the horrendously complicated inlet manifold and idle control setup which makes the car a total coont to work on.

And the turbo thing im not agreeing, im saying most singles they use are shit, but so are most of the twin setups.
My point is, if you get 2x GT28RSs rated at 350 each, and put them on a car, then replace them with a single 700 rated GT40R, you REALLY belive, or have any proof that the twins will spool up sooner, while giving the same power at the same boost? NO

Remember, what might be true in theory, is often totaly indectectable or non-existant in the real world

Old 06-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Remember, what might be true in theory, is often totaly indectectable or non-existant in the real world
In theory Mike should have a penis...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 AM
8pot

Steve,

Mine doesnt run the multiple throttle body set up either. Your engine is about as complete as mine so I can not see how you can make the association with Keith Cowie any more than I can or would do bearing in mind the car has not even turned a wheel. Do you not just have a pile of bits and a shell like I do?

Quick Reply: Anyone own or driven a Skyline R32/R33?