General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Saff cossie help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 03:03 PM
Tango48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saff cossie help!!

What's up guys,

So I just bought an 89 saff cossie. Been parked for the best part of a decade in a garage. I'm going to pick it.up later this week.

One thing I have a question is when the engine is run, there is a clack clack clack sound coming from the head. This is believed to be a stuck hydraulic lifter. Can anyone recommend some?? Please post a link 👍

I am putting together a list of items that I will be replacing. Is there anything else I need to get? I won't be driving it until next spring so I will have another time to take care of everything.

​​​​​​IM also going to probably look into making my own heat shield as it doesn't have one and $200 to replace is more than I wanna spend unless I have to.

Timing belt and tensiontensionerAlaux belts
Water pump and thermostat
Plugs and leads
Oil/ filter/ magnetic sump plug and gasket
fuel filter
Top end gasket set
New brake hoses
T5 gear box oil
Rear diff oilBrake hoses and fluid
Full set suspension bushes
Cheers

Last edited by Tango48; 03-10-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:03 PM
BIG LEE
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 74 Likes on 73 Posts

Biggest problem with aload of people is fact its been sitting for years all the oil would of run away out head etc then people bang a batt on and try starting it.. yeah the oil will move and psi will get up but for them few secs etc its bone dry....
Old 03-10-2022, 07:08 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

They're a clattery engine when cold a lot of the time due to piston slap. Once warm not so bad, as above an engine thats been sat years will be noisy initially.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:38 PM
Tango48

Originally Posted by BIG LEE
Biggest problem with aload of people is fact its been sitting for years all the oil would of run away out head etc then people bang a batt on and try starting it.. yeah the oil will move and psi will get up but for them few secs etc its bone dry....
Originally Posted by GVK.
They're a clattery engine when cold a lot of the time due to piston slap. Once warm not so bad, as above an engine thats been sat years will be noisy initially.

Totally get what you're saying. Turned it over for a bit before we started it. She ran for a bit before we decided to turn it off to give it time to build pressure further. But the noise remained. Bottom end is very low mileage, maybe 10k before it was parked.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:04 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 428 Likes on 403 Posts

they can be horrendous piston slap in the 2wd cossie engine .it could also take a few miles to fill all your lifters as all the oil will have drained out of them
Old 04-10-2022, 06:03 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

I've had loads of old engines stood for years I just service them and start them up, can do more harm than good cranking it over and over on starter as some engines won't pick up the oil til they get to idle rpm
watch out for cambelt aswell I've known rats chew through rubber water hoses
Old 04-10-2022, 06:07 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 135 Likes on 121 Posts

Pm sent.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2022, 06:39 PM
Tango48

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
I've had loads of old engines stood for years I just service them and start them up, can do more harm than good cranking it over and over on starter as some engines won't pick up the oil til they get to idle rpm
watch out for cambelt aswell I've known rats chew through rubber water hoses
Picking it up tomorrow and will be ordering bits for it that will likely arrive next week.

I'll change the bits and then go over and then let her run till she goes quiet and hope she does lol.

​​​​​​