General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Hello from newbie/all-in-one satnav/radio thing.

Search this Thread

Old 16-04-2018, 10:56 PM
srj999
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from newbie/all-in-one satnav/radio thing.

Hello one and all,

I've not joined any forums for a while but felt that, now I'm on my third Focus, this time a 1.8 Mk2 Titanium, it was time to drop in to see what it's all about.
I'll be Steve and I'm based in St Leonards on the Sussex coast. I've worked on and off for Ford in the Dunton design facility, which is where I am currently.

As far as the car is concerned, I have no intention of doing anything major with it but I am conscious that the Sony radio/CD is a bit pants. The car itself is a 2007.5MY, so just too early for the built-in Bluetooth. My previous Focus, a 2005.5MY Ghia saloon, had a Parrot system which was very good. It also had a 6 CD player/radio, which was also superior to the standard unit fitted to the current car. I wrote that Focus off and, although I managed to get the Parrot out, I had no tools to remove the radio unit and so couldn't get to all of the harness.

So.... I've seen a number of these Android units on FleaBay and wondered if anyone has had one fitted and if so, whether it was any good. The item number in eBay that corresponds with the photo is 362198399348.

If there are any owners using such a system, I'd like to know:
1. How easy is it to fit?
2. Can it be fitted by an amateur (me) or am I better off finding a professional?
3. Am I likely to need any additional harness to connect it to the Focus' electrical system?
4. How do I go about installing Waze (my preferred sat nav), or do I simply have the unit talk to the phone which already has Waze installed?

So many questions and I've only just joined. Thanks for your time, people.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Hello from newbie/all-in-one satnav/radio thing.-dab.png