General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help Please: Slave cylinder leaking Mondeo tdci 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Smethick0216
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please: Slave cylinder leaking Mondeo tdci 2006

Hi all, this is my first post. I need sound advice and I was hoping someone could help.

I have a old Mondeo Mk3 2006 Tdci and it is leaking brake fluid from the point where the clutch pipe goes into the outside of the slave cylinder.

its leaving a small puddle on the ground when I park overnight

I only realised there was a problem when my brake light started flickering due to low fluid and on a couple of occasions my clutch pedal didnt come up on its own

If anyone could answer the following questions I would be grateful
1- Should the clutch pipe be moving back and forth from the outside of the slave cylinder as I pump the clutch (this is where brake fluid is being leaked from)
2- The pin in the pipe seems to be in place so has it failed or is the internal whatever become worn over time and is no longer holding the pipe in place

3- Do you need to remove the gearbox to change the slave cylinder (& change clutch, dmf whilst your at it) OR can you just change the outside of the slave cylinder where it connects to the clutch pipe from the outside without removing the gearbox in the hope it will fix the problem and stop the leak without going all out snd changing everything

The above was suggested to me by local mechanic can anyone tell me if that it is worth trying getting a slave cylinder on its own and just changing the outside where it connects to the clutch pipe andctry to stop the movement and leaking

or is it just more better snd sensible just to get everything replaced

Thank you in advance for any help it is much needed

Smethwick lad
Old 11-01-2018, 03:28 PM
RSmark84
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Slightly different car, This happened on my MK7 Fiesta. Except the fluid leaking into the footwell. I bought the car brand new and roughly 18,000 miles later it failed. The garage replaced everything.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The pipe that goes into The slave cylinder has a rubber seal on the end. It might be worth trying to get one. They shouldn't be dear.

I've got a spare one at work. I will get you the part number.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The part number I have is 1 430 502. For that seal on the slave cylinder pipe.