General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is the new Focus RS encouraging bad driving by some people?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by james kiely
charlie i am one of the deluded few who chooses to ignore any car manufactured after 1994 lol
your cossie was one of the best mate
Nice 1 mate I know what you mean addictive are Cosworths

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Get more pics up Charlie not seen it before
I’ve not got too many on my iPad mate which I use a lot more than the pc theses days plus I’ve got rid of my photo bucket account, I’ll try and find some good ones and put them up

Originally Posted by cossynut2
charlie luciano. Your Saff that you had looked very nice but what was wrong with it if every time you gave it a thrashing you were worried about it "burning leaking and smelling"? Never had any issues with mine in 23 years ,and yes it does get used properly.
If you’ve had 23 years trouble free motoring with your one then fair play, what I said was in jest and I meant a bit of humour with it but having said that Cossies are temperamental to say in the least imo, my one destroyed two gear boxes, melted the loom for the cooling fans, ripped out front drive shafts, engine loom was wankered and needed replacing, it leaked coolant after kicking the fuck out of it and ultimately the engine let go after I was chasing 500 horse power so it was time to say no more, I bought it when it was 11 years old and owned it for 13 years, don’t get me wrong I love them but wanted to move on, many Cossies owners I know have moved on and wouldn’t go back

Originally Posted by bigdel
So I hear, but in all the time i was coming to the Middx meets I never saw the mythical beast once
I find that difficult to believe, it must have been there on at least one occasion on a meet night

Last edited by charlie luciano; 06-11-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:29 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Charlie. You do have to keep on top of looking after a Saff but providing you do that they wont let you down is what I have found. Mines a 2wd and yours was a 4X4 but I dont know if that makes any difference? The only time I have had to call out the RAC in the last 15 years was when my alternator packed up and I ran out of electric power. I have replaced worn out parts and done a lot of modifications but I have never worried that when I go somewhere the car may have a problem. Its just passed its 23rd MOT so it is still holding together pretty well!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Charlie. You do have to keep on top of looking after a Saff but providing you do that they wont let you down is what I have found. Mines a 2wd and yours was a 4X4 but I dont know if that makes any difference? The only time I have had to call out the RAC in the last 15 years was when my alternator packed up and I ran out of electric power. I have replaced worn out parts and done a lot of modifications but I have never worried that when I go somewhere the car may have a problem. Its just passed its 23rd MOT so it is still holding together pretty well!
To be honest mate it was not from the lack of looking after it, I spent thousands on it
Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdel
So I hear, but in all the time i was coming to the Middx meets I never saw the mythical beast once
Saw it plenty of times
It was a real beauty
The following users liked this post:
charlie luciano (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I think cossies start to come unreliable when people start to chase big bhp figures. Especially with 4x4 saffs. About 400bhp the gearboxes are just waiting to pop lol.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:10 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dojj
Saw it plenty of times
It was a real beauty
You were out with me in it once iirc, tunnel run springs to mind

Originally Posted by Glenn_
I think cossies start to come unreliable when people start to chase big bhp figures. Especially with 4x4 saffs. About 400bhp the gearboxes are just waiting to pop lol.
A lot of it is driving style though mate, I blew two boxes with 326bhp 312ft/lbs

Then I strapped a gt30 to the car and it made 420bhp 400ft/lbs i drove it for around a year with a standard box eventually taking the internals out and selling them in perfect working condition when I bought my oppliger big tooth kit
Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
You were out with me in it once iirc, tunnel run springs to mind

A lot of it is driving style though mate, I blew two boxes with 326bhp 312ft/lbs

Then I strapped a gt30 to the car and it made 420bhp 400ft/lbs i drove it for around a year with a standard box eventually taking the internals out and selling them in perfect working condition when I bought my oppliger big tooth kit
Was that on standard engine internals?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Was that on standard engine internals?
Yes, the engine had a rebuild when I went stg 3 with it, Mahle pistons, but truth be known when I was trying to screw more power it probably could have done with a fresh rebuild including long studs
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Yes, the engine had a rebuild when I went stg 3 with it, Mahle pistons, but truth be known when I was trying to screw more power it probably could have done with a fresh rebuild including long studs
Not bad getting double the power out standard internals the oil and water leaks is down to bad build tbh
Old 13-11-2017, 02:26 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

im surprised this wasnt long studded given the power you were aiming for. Mark should have recommended them
Old 13-11-2017, 02:36 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by R4N SS
im surprised this wasnt long studded given the power you were aiming for. Mark should have recommended them
It’s a pipe dream now mate, Car’s Long gone and I’ve moved on
Old 14-11-2017, 08:50 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

It’s a pipe dream now mate, Car’s Long gone and I’ve moved on
Im still living the pipe dream but its very close to being a bloody nightmare
Old 14-11-2017, 06:37 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Im still living the pipe dream but its very close to being a bloody nightmare
The defence rests you see Cossies temperamental

I organised a run out to Chelsea Cruise a while back and a few of us met up at Heston services, a fella turned up in a nice saph that had a right few quid spent on it, 20k rebuild, nicely trimmed interior, we ribbed him about his sagging head lining though we set off and when we got to Hogarth roundabout he was nowhere to be seen I asked another mate who he’d turned up with “where’s he gone” he replied “it’s not boosting right he’s gone home”

I’m still loving the 5 pot pops 3 years down the line with my MK2 FRS 420 bhp and 400 ft/lbs which uncannily was the same power figure as my saph, alright it all goes to the front wheels and the car turns right when the turbo kicks in but still luving it

Last edited by charlie luciano; 14-11-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 15-11-2017, 10:17 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Charlie, the guy who had spent Ł20k on his Saff rebuild just makes me think who did it for him and WHY wasnt it running right.A good engine builder/tuner will get it right and do road testing to iron out any problems.Its always the same old comments about how unreliable tuned Saffs are and expect to break down every time you take them out. Done right they are as reliable as any other car and will take a good thrashing and come back for more every time.
You cant compare the way your Focus RS drives to a 27 year old Saff, of course its smoother etc but for me I just love the way my 2wd puts down its power and can still humble lots of modern performance cars.
I have driven a mk 2 Focus RS which was new and standard but it just didnt do anything for me. We all like different cars and its good that you are pleased with yours but I will be sticking with my old fashioned Saff for a while yet.
Old 15-11-2017, 10:23 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

to be fair my old moonstone 3dr was reliable engine wise - it was just everything else
Old 15-11-2017, 12:04 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Charlie, the guy who had spent Ł20k on his Saff rebuild just makes me think who did it for him and WHY wasnt it running right.A good engine builder/tuner will get it right and do road testing to iron out any problems.Its always the same old comments about how unreliable tuned Saffs are and expect to break down every time you take them out. Done right they are as reliable as any other car and will take a good thrashing and come back for more every time.
You cant compare the way your Focus RS drives to a 27 year old Saff, of course its smoother etc but for me I just love the way my 2wd puts down its power and can still humble lots of modern performance cars.
I have driven a mk 2 Focus RS which was new and standard but it just didnt do anything for me. We all like different cars and its good that you are pleased with yours but I will be sticking with my old fashioned Saff for a while yet.
Don't get me wrong mate I wasn’t comparing the two I was just saying I’m still loving the car three years down line after buying it I love the way Cossies put down the raw power, mine used to just go in a straight line and was awesome without a doubt, I only ever took my Cosworth to two establishments and the guy who built my engine is arguably one of the best out there, but despite all the money I pumped into the car it still had problems occasionally which was frustrating. As you have said yourself they are old cars so undoubtedly may get reliability issues if you are turning up the power on them, but I agree 100% with you they can put a lot of modern stuff to shame, they are bloody rapid without a shadow of a doubt.

to be fair my old moonstone 3dr was reliable engine wise - it was just everything else
Yeah including the driver

Last edited by charlie luciano; 15-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 15-11-2017, 01:13 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Yeah including the driver
I remember the last meet we went to in the 3dr at the rugby club and then had a "leisurely" drive down to egham and back
Old 15-11-2017, 05:48 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

I remember the last meet we went to in the 3dr at the rugby club and then had a "leisurely" drive down to egham and back
And the time me, you and Jason were 3 up in my saph and we left the kings fairway and had it major down the dual carriageway
Old 16-11-2017, 03:52 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

And the time me, you and Jason were 3 up in my saph and we left the kings fairway and had it major down the dual carriageway
Good days mate
The following users liked this post:
charlie luciano (16-11-2017)
Old 16-11-2017, 05:19 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Good days mate
Nothing stopping us from doing it again bruv
Old 16-11-2017, 06:10 PM
dojj