General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 27-10-2017, 07:08 PM
steve_k98
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for help

evening folks.

newbie here looking for urgent help/advise.

car in question is a mk2 mondeo 2L auto,
problem?? loss of brakes & hard juddering from the engine & auto box lever really hard to get into PARK.

took the car out today to go collect my son (140 mile round trip), was nearly half way there & stuck in traffic, when all of a sudden the engine started to judder pretty hard (never done it before) & the traffic started to slow rapidly, went for the brakes only to find the peddle went nearly straight to the floor & had to pump the peddle to make the car stop but the juddering had stopped by then.

safe to say that the problem with the brakes scared me enough to pull in at the nearest lay by & come to a halt using the handbrake. (stop engine, get out & spark a fag) & when i calmed down i thought "i can't risk this, not worth it" so rang the AA who said someone was on their way, they turned up plugged in his diagnostics's & it came back as a dodgy maf sensor, also explained to him that the lever was really hard to get into PARK & also what had happened with the loss of brakes.

as for the brakes, after he'd checked the fluid level & found it to be at the max mark, he had no idea at all (what a surprise) so said he'd tow me back home just to be on the safe side.

so my question is this,

what could cause a sudden lose of braking?? like i said i had to pump the peddle quite a few times to get the car to stop.

never had this happen in the last 4yr's of ownership.

please help if you can as i need to get the car sorted ASAP.

thanks in advance.
Old 27-10-2017, 07:21 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Possible air leak. Check the vacuum hose going from inlet manifold to brake servo.
Old 27-10-2017, 07:55 PM
steve_k98
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
Possible air leak. Check the vacuum hose going from inlet manifold to brake servo.

thanks dude i'll have a look at that in the morning, fingers crossed its an easy fix,