General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

turbos,

Search this Thread

Old 19-07-2017, 07:36 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

never enough power, those vortech's have a lot of lag don't they, long time ago, what you running now
Old 20-07-2017, 07:58 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by bj928
never enough power, those vortech's have a lot of lag don't they, long time ago, what you running now
No lag whatsoever as you'd expect with any supercharger. They may develop boost in a different manner to a PD blower, but that doesnt mean for one second there is any lag.
They like any blower are always moving a ton of air as long as they're still connected to the crank ready for immediate use in the engine.

An I'm using a pair of BW's now.
Old 20-07-2017, 02:24 PM
bj928

it seems to me the BW's are the way to go, mainly on cost, and if need be upgrade, but for initial setup, they will be perfect, if running auto i might just go with the 66mm, should spool quick enough, and if they don't i'll get a smaller pair and keep the 66mm for if i decide i need more power.

thanks for the help and advise, its been very useful
Old 21-07-2017, 05:15 AM
bj928

found a kit with some useful figures on a chart, it shows the 55mm turbos can produce 800hp at just 12psi on a stock engine, with virtually no lag, thats a lot of power with little puff

Old 21-07-2017, 07:58 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

As you can see and what I said, there are few downsides to using the smaller turbos.

And even if actual boost developed at any given point lower down may not be a huge difference, there is a substantial difference in torque produced which is what you will feel.

I use larger turbos than that, and a larger engine. In say 4th or 5th gear from a roll, I can probably build more boost than those too at any given point, but the units are absolutely not "on song" for want of a better description down low, below 4k on mine there isnt a lot of assistance from the turbos despite showing reasonable boost levels.

Of course I also dont only use 12psi.

As said before 66mm's with some 1400+ worth of turbo would be a bad choice given what you initially asked for.

the small 57mm 200SXE's or somewhere in that range would be a very good choice and still allow good power up top.

Obviously in the data above, the 62mm's look crap, but I'm sure at higher boost levels they would start to show much better results.

It's definitely a good table to show how the two different units perform on the same engine ! And also that boost pressure alone doesnt tell the whole story.
Old 21-07-2017, 03:56 PM
bj928

having seen this chart i am will you on the 57mm, with that much torque coming in so low, it would be a good driveable engine, and as you said, the BW's are cheap enough that a bigger set can be got later if i want more power, or for special events where i want to show off (with a built engine), i'm thinking i might sell the heads and inlet and go down the coyote route, they seem a real good engine, and i can pick them up cheap, and just change the rotating assembly for the one i want from MMR, its rated at 2500hp so should be strong enough for anything i throw at it as long as i keep my air/fuel mix right and don't get detonation issues, but it should be very safe and almost a bullet proof bottom end