General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

2002 focus 1.6 zetec se popping from inlet

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2017, 08:58 PM
d.kenny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 focus 1.6 zetec se popping from inlet

Hi all

i have got a 1.6 zetec se engine 2002 focus that has a backfiring issue/stinks of fuel and co off the chart

at first i thought usual coilpack plugs etc but all swapped for good know working ones still no better

decided to check timing which was ok to

was a bit stumped at this point

changed breather pipe on inlet to pcv and still no different

so with diagnostics i decided to monitor a few thins to see if i could see an electrical issue

turned out number 2 injector was all over the place seemed to be intermittantky firing and timing was constantly being pulled

thought bingo its an injector

swapped injectors round and fault still on number 2 injector with popping sound again

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution as i seems many threads on the internet go dead?

looking online it seems that a software update on ecu is the recommended fix/has fixed a few peoples problems

so without going to the dealer with a 15 year old focus for a software update could anyone perhaps point me in the direction of a place i can get hold of the update/a file or map to load onto the ecu to tey?

cheers
Old 15-05-2017, 09:33 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

I would have the wiring checked all the way back to the ecu, if thats good maybe send the ecu to be tested, this is presuming that cylinder 2 has good compression.
Old 16-05-2017, 06:44 AM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do a compression check to make sure it hasn't burnt a valve out.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:43 AM
d.kenny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok il do comp check today

i think it runs a bit to well to be a burnt out valve

and the fact the diagnostics is picking up a fault with the injector i think points more towards an electrical issue as opposed to mecvhanical
Old 16-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Rusty85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default popping in the inlet?

In theory, combustion should be complete by the time the exhaust valve opens. Just before the exhaust closes, the inlet opens. It is possible that there is so much fuel that there is still combustion going when the inlet opens, but I would have thought it unlikely.
If there is popping in the inlet then I would check the inlet valve isn't bent and leaky. do a compression check......