General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Will diesel cars de-value quickly now??

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2017, 03:30 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will diesel cars de-value quickly now??

looking at a Jaguar XF S this weekend. It's a lot of money, but a lovely car. Will this government thing with diesels being charged to go into city centres ect de-value the car quickly when I come to sell it in 2 or 3 years?
Old 27-04-2017, 04:00 PM
MONSTER
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

A bit early to say yet as you know how quickly governments can change their mind when there's a corporate shilling in it for them, but that said I wouldn't be buying a new/newish diesel unless I was getting a good discount.

Just a shame petrol cannot compete with diesel on mpg's unless you want to smoke around in a 1.0 ltr Polo
Old 27-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a 2017 1.2TSi Polo for the day and couldn't get it to average 50mpg driving the same journeys I do with my Focus and get over 65mpg.

Hoping the government will lay off the Euro6 diesels for the time being and then I can get a few grand for it in a scrappage scheme when it's 10-15 years old with 250k on the clock.
Old 27-04-2017, 04:31 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Its only Euro3 and older I thought
Old 27-04-2017, 05:07 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

The trainers at the Daf training centre say there all ready looking at euro 7 lol
Old 27-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Probably just a lot of fuss over nothing as usual.
Old 27-04-2017, 07:58 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

I'm not bothered about mpg, just like the effortless power. Only thing that will be annoying is having to pay a Ł20 fee to go into the city centre to go shopping for a pair of trainers...

Trending Topics

Old 27-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I think that a modern turbo diesel on close ratio 7-8 speed box is the most relaxed way to make sensible progress on every day roads. My 330d BMW whips through the gears and even my huge 4.4v8 Rangie makes effortless and suprising speed down a B road...518ftlb of torque and closely stacked fast changing gears works a treat.
Old 27-04-2017, 08:26 PM
dan le moignan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Not quickly but they will take a hit I think
The shift to mogas for commercial use is underway.
No real viable option at the moment though for haulage such as trains and lorries etc
Old 28-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Can anyone confirm if bmw are knocking diesels in head due to euro 7 regs. Or was it just someone talking bs to me

Adder
Old 28-04-2017, 07:15 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Adder
Can anyone confirm if bmw are knocking diesels in head due to euro 7 regs. Or was it just someone talking bs to me

Adder
Not sure about BMW, I do know Renault will no longer make diesel cars after 2020 so I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers follow.
The following users liked this post:
Adder (29-04-2017)
Old 28-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The Jag XFs are a stunning car. Just get the fooker bought.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:44 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I've herd Scania have said in a round about way they have gone as far as they can go. Weather this is true or not is another matter. When you work on a modern truck and go on road test with the computer plugged in and see the nox reading before and after the cat you do wounder how they can possibly get it even lower that it is now
Old 29-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I've herd Scania have said in a round about way they have gone as far as they can go. Weather this is true or not is another matter. When you work on a modern truck and go on road test with the computer plugged in and see the nox reading before and after the cat you do wounder how they can possibly get it even lower that it is now

Would a cat after a cat make any further difference?
Old 29-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Thing is, I am pretty sure that anything 2010 onwards is probably a very clean car, anything 2017 onwards is really clean BUT as our givernments and media always do they make the whole thing look different and 90% of the British public are just sheep, even if we know it's bull we still panic that we might lose money and bail out...the tide turns and everyone follows. It's the same with housing, stock markets etc....

If you learn to swim against the flow you invest when the market crashes and therefore there could be some superb bargains to be had when people do (if they do) jump out of diesels.

The electric industry will boom for a bit until people see what a 7 yr old battery costs to replace. My electric stealth bomber bike was left with the charger plugged in over a winter and the battery monitor drained the battery so low that one cell dropped below critical and reveresed polarity....that ruined a 2000 dollar battery. My friends did exactly the same. What would a tesla battery cost? Ł20k?

Last edited by Caddyshack; 29-04-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 29-04-2017, 08:58 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

I bought it anyway..

Old 29-04-2017, 10:20 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
The electric industry will boom for a bit until people see what a 7 yr old battery costs to replace. My electric stealth bomber bike was left with the charger plugged in over a winter and the battery monitor drained the battery so low that one cell dropped below critical and reveresed polarity....that ruined a 2000 dollar battery. My friends did exactly the same. What would a tesla battery cost? Ł20k?
tesla replace the batteries in their vehicles when they get the newer technology

i spent an hour or so chatting to the guy in the dealership about various things, they also install a fast charger at your home address into the price

not sure about the second hand market for them but as a first time buyer of a new car, they certainly look after you as a customer

ok, so Ł90k is a lot of money but it's a lot of kit
Old 30-04-2017, 04:47 AM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

when i see a car with a d on the back i just think to myself well theirs a tight arse
Old 30-04-2017, 05:52 AM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

I would rather pay the extra to have a diesel...

bmw 330i m sport or 330d m sport? It's a no brainer. 330d is twice the car.
Old 30-04-2017, 08:54 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Personally I think the whole thing is total bollocks! And the comment about people being sheep is bang on.
People seem to have very short memories. Remember a few short years ago before catalytic converters, dpf's, fuel injection, unleaded fuel etc - walking down the street getting covered in black smoke from buses and lorries, breathing in the smell of petrol fumes and two stroke fumes. Vehicle emissions back then were rather dirty (although the smell of two stroke was good!), but I don't remember people keeling over left right and centre and dying. In fact I don't think I know anyone who has died as a result of vehicle emissions.
Technology has come on a long way and vehicles burning petrol and diesel these days are, I believe pretty much as clean as they're gonna get (which is a good thing). I think I might be correct in saying that today you would even struggle to kill yourself by connecting a hose to your exhaust and running it in to the car. The car would probably run out of petrol before you die! However, I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Anyway, my point is that I believe it's all about money and revenue for the government. Over the years I would say revenue from road tax and fuel has fallen. Remember when four star petrol was bad and we all had to switch to unleaded which was nice and clean! Unleaded was cheaper - less tax revenue. Then remember when unleaded was bad and diesel was nice and clean! Everyone switched to diesel cos it was cheaper than petrol and the road tax was cheaper - less revenue! To combat this the government hiked up the tax on diesel fuel to make it more expensive than petrol, but as you get more mpg from a diesel you use less of it. Now everyone is buying cars that are free to tax or Ł30 or so, that is even less revenue. Remember, it wasn't that long ago when it cost us all somewhere in the region of Ł150 -Ł200 a year to tax our cars. So guess what, now there are so many diesel cars on the road generating not as much revenue for the government, diesel is now bad and is gonna kill us all! Great excuse to hammer the diesel owner.
Then in a few years when we've all switched to electric cos that's 'clean' and cheap, that will become bad and dirty due to all the things that goes into making batteries and all the power stations belching out nasty emissions so we can charge them up.
In my view as always, the motorist and the whole industry is an easy target when it comes to getting people to behave like lemmings and to generate some cash when it's needed.
Well that's my view anyway!
Caddyshack (30-04-2017)
Old 30-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dojj
tesla replace the batteries in their vehicles when they get the newer technology

i spent an hour or so chatting to the guy in the dealership about various things, they also install a fast charger at your home address into the price

not sure about the second hand market for them but as a first time buyer of a new car, they certainly look after you as a customer

ok, so Ł90k is a lot of money but it's a lot of kit
That's all new car stuff, getting them in to the market, try going in after 5 years having bought in the 2nd hand market and asking if you can have Ł20k worth of replacement batteries cos you only get 80 miles on a charge now.

TVR cleverly did this for ages, they proped up the replacement market with buying back and upgrading, you took your chimera in for a service and they said "that's Ł1500 for the service, OR don't pay that, give us Ł40 per month more and you get a shiny new one", it worked for about 10 yrs then the arse fell out of that market....only just gone up now due to the classic market.

The tesla market can do this with Ł90k cars and a whole new market to buy market share in whilst it all gets going....it will be fun for a while until you get the Ł20k or no bids trade in out in the open market, they are predicted to depreciate 25%more than a new Range Rover and I can watch Ł20 notes vapourise whilst I look at my Rangie...it lost Ł40k in first 2 yrs of its life!
Old 30-04-2017, 11:23 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

If your gonna spend ÂŁ90k on an electric car I don't think I'm 5 years time ÂŁ20k is gonna bother them much, prob just means they'll only be able to have fresh salmon twice that week
Old 30-04-2017, 01:30 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by nick46
Personally I think the whole thing is total bollocks! And the comment about people being sheep is bang on.
People seem to have very short memories. Remember a few short years ago before catalytic converters, dpf's, fuel injection, unleaded fuel etc - walking down the street getting covered in black smoke from buses and lorries, breathing in the smell of petrol fumes and two stroke fumes. Vehicle emissions back then were rather dirty (although the smell of two stroke was good!), but I don't remember people keeling over left right and centre and dying. In fact I don't think I know anyone who has died as a result of vehicle emissions.
Technology has come on a long way and vehicles burning petrol and diesel these days are, I believe pretty much as clean as they're gonna get (which is a good thing). I think I might be correct in saying that today you would even struggle to kill yourself by connecting a hose to your exhaust and running it in to the car. The car would probably run out of petrol before you die! However, I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Anyway, my point is that I believe it's all about money and revenue for the government. Over the years I would say revenue from road tax and fuel has fallen. Remember when four star petrol was bad and we all had to switch to unleaded which was nice and clean! Unleaded was cheaper - less tax revenue. Then remember when unleaded was bad and diesel was nice and clean! Everyone switched to diesel cos it was cheaper than petrol and the road tax was cheaper - less revenue! To combat this the government hiked up the tax on diesel fuel to make it more expensive than petrol, but as you get more mpg from a diesel you use less of it. Now everyone is buying cars that are free to tax or Ł30 or so, that is even less revenue. Remember, it wasn't that long ago when it cost us all somewhere in the region of Ł150 -Ł200 a year to tax our cars. So guess what, now there are so many diesel cars on the road generating not as much revenue for the government, diesel is now bad and is gonna kill us all! Great excuse to hammer the diesel owner.
Then in a few years when we've all switched to electric cos that's 'clean' and cheap, that will become bad and dirty due to all the things that goes into making batteries and all the power stations belching out nasty emissions so we can charge them up.
In my view as always, the motorist and the whole industry is an easy target when it comes to getting people to behave like lemmings and to generate some cash when it's needed.
Well that's my view anyway!
the black soot didn't get into your lungs though, the more efficient the burn the smaller the particles and the more harm they do

THATS the deal
Old 30-04-2017, 01:33 PM
dojj

That's all new car stuff, getting them in to the market, try going in after 5 years having bought in the 2nd hand market and asking if you can have Ł20k worth of replacement batteries cos you only get 80 miles on a charge now.

TVR cleverly did this for ages, they proped up the replacement market with buying back and upgrading, you took your chimera in for a service and they said "that's Ł1500 for the service, OR don't pay that, give us Ł40 per month more and you get a shiny new one", it worked for about 10 yrs then the arse fell out of that market....only just gone up now due to the classic market.

The tesla market can do this with Ł90k cars and a whole new market to buy market share in whilst it all gets going....it will be fun for a while until you get the Ł20k or no bids trade in out in the open market, they are predicted to depreciate 25%more than a new Range Rover and I can watch Ł20 notes vapourise whilst I look at my Rangie...it lost Ł40k in first 2 yrs of its life!
Originally Posted by gcfcos
If your gonna spend ÂŁ90k on an electric car I don't think I'm 5 years time ÂŁ20k is gonna bother them much, prob just means they'll only be able to have fresh salmon twice that week
it means that you stay a loyal customer, if you don't need to buy a new car because the dealer is replacing the bits as and when why would you?

and if you have a "new" car, then why would you want to buy a "new" car?

the guy who drives about in a TE55LLA has had 3 of them now in 3 years
Old 02-05-2017, 08:38 PM
ray barker

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

drivers like me with astra td will be hit the hardest my 61 plate its the newest car ive ever had but to those at westminster its pile of shite and they want them of the road now
Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 AM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Seen this coming a while ago which is why we sold my wife's zetec s fiesta and I wouldn't own a diesel. Sad how many people will be made to feel bad just because they were given poor advice at the time of buying. Once they get rid of diesel petrol will be next.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:14 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

ive just been given my brother's old 2000 reg E46 320d - will run around in that until i have to pay to go into city centers as will scrap the car after that.

Will continue to enjoy 600 miles per tank in the meanwhile
Old 04-05-2017, 05:11 AM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

i get fed up people going on about electric cars and how clean they are, what a load of bollocks, plugged in to a nuclear reactor over night with all that radiation and nuclear waste that takes millions of years to clear so dont give me all that old pony about how clean and goody two shoes they are.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ray barker
drivers like me with astra td .........to those at westminster its pile of shite
It's not just Westminster that thinks they're shite Ray.........
Adam-M (05-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:49 PM
ray barker

its mine for the next five years ill think about petrol next time may be. jap diesel used to be the way to go if one can afford one
Old 08-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dojj
it means that you stay a loyal customer, if you don't need to buy a new car because the dealer is replacing the bits as and when why would you?

and if you have a "new" car, then why would you want to buy a "new" car?

the guy who drives about in a TE55LLA has had 3 of them now in 3 years
Why has he had 3 then if you don't need to change?
Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by ray barker
its mine for the next five years ill think about petrol next time may be. jap diesel used to be the way to go if one can afford one
Unless your buying a Mazda 6 diesel, used to have them littered about
The yard with blown engines when I worked for them
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 AM
dojj

Why has he had 3 then if you don't need to change?
with that number plate i think he's probably got ties to the company
Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Unless your buying a Mazda 6 diesel, used to have them littered about
The yard with blown engines when I worked for them
Yeah guy at my old work had to replace his DMF and had to pay over 1k for a new one, then not long after his engine went.

Most other Jap stuff is brilliant
Old 09-05-2017, 06:22 PM
ray barker

i remember in the mid 90`s working on the original nissan cab star they were old then quarter million clicks they would jump into life
Old 15-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a beautiful motor TomPengelly

I got a kick in the teeth when my bm touring went up in RFL and the other half's Aston Martin was cheaper!! WTF lol
Old 15-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Stunning car Tom. I really love these Jags.

Out of all the posh car ie bms mercs audis. I would have a jag every time.
Old 15-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Me to Glenn Unfortunately, our last one broke the other half's stone heart, if that was possible LOL - It got returned for a full refund, as it spent more time in Jag than it did on the road!!
It was brand new, but the roof used to come down randomly on the motorway at full chat or it used to put the windows up and down for no reason. It had gremlins He got a Merc SL500 AMG after it, but it had no soul

I would have another in a heartbeat
Old 17-05-2017, 05:33 PM
dojj

My mates got a supercharged Jag convertible
Excellent car
But he too has reported many trips back to Jag to fix problems
2 days for a battery fault, a week for a seat bolster, several attempts to sort the misaligned bumper
Plus it's too low to get into his driveway
Old 18-05-2017, 12:37 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TomPengelly
looking at a Jaguar XF S this weekend. It's a lot of money, but a lovely car. Will this government thing with diesels being charged to go into city centres ect de-value the car quickly when I come to sell it in 2 or 3 years?
Lovely looking cars..but a guy I know has one, and what a dose of shit.

From water leaks, burst hoses, seized calipers worn suspension parts etc etc. He's probably spent more repairing the car than the damn thing is worth, as every time it is supposed to be just getting a service....there's a list of things fucked.

So nevermind the diesel...I'd avoid the car ! lol