General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Poor starting from cold/no throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor starting from cold/no throttle response

Couple of weeks ago I foolishly jet washed my engine bay, some water got inside the ecu and long story short caused absolute havoc. I took the ecu off and let it dry in the airing cupboard for a couple of days, put it back on and the car fired up. Since I built it MK3 Fiesta 1.1 to 1.8 Zetec, it had some issues with starting. Used to take ages to start, so I replaced the coolant temp sensor and it seemed to remedy it albeit still takes more turning over than any of the Fiesta Si's I've had. It also appears to jerk every now and then on light throttle, this is with a new coilpack, leads and plugs. These issues were all before I washed the engine bay, since doing the engine bay however and allowing the ecu to dry, on cold starts it starts up fine but there is no throttle response for a couple of seconds, similar to if the fuel tank was empty or loss of spark. It only does it for a split second but enough to annoy me as it shouldn't be doing it. Is this and the jerking potentially down to a faulty maf perhaps? It's a little difficult to diagnose because it only does it after overnight/after work starts. If I turn it off and back on I instantly get throttle response, it just seems to happen after around half a days worth of not being started? Any help would be appreciated