General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ribbed belt tensioner..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 AM
VEEDUBBED
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ribbed belt tensioner..

Right guys,
Need advice regarding a Long serp. Belt that drives all the endlgine's aux. pulleys. I've had to renew the tensioner and jockey wheel because they were both noisy. Problem is that the new jockey/idler wheel isn't ribbed, like the old version so the Last run of the belt runs with the 5 ribbed side directly on the smooth surface. Anyone reckon it could damage the belt in the long run? I'm also worried that the belt might jump a rib and possibly snap the belt.
Forgot to mention that the old, 5 ribbed idler isn't made anymore, the smooth version is the direct replacement part.
Cheers.

Last edited by VEEDUBBED; 03-03-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM
ray barker

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by VEEDUBBED
Right guys,
Need advice regarding a Long serp. Belt that drives all the endlgine's aux. pulleys. I've had to renew the tensioner and jockey wheel because they were both noisy. Problem is that the new jockey/idler wheel isn't ribbed, like the old version so the Last run of the belt runs with the 5 ribbed side directly on the smooth surface. Anyone reckon it could damage the belt in the long run? I'm also worried that the belt might jump a rib and possibly snap the belt.
Forgot to mention that the old, 5 ribbed idler isn't made anymore, the smooth version is the direct replacement part.
Cheers.
it will be ok ive replaced a few like it. the other ribs on the alt etc will keep it tracked
Old 03-03-2017, 06:27 PM
VEEDUBBED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok mate, Cheers!