General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Pug 207 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2017, 09:08 AM
ProjectBobcat
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Pug 207 coolant leak

Hi, hoping someone can help.

The car's a 56 plate 207 1.4 16v (hey, at least it's not a 1.8 diesel focus held together with hopes and dreams). Yesterday the water temp suddenly rocketed on the gauge accompanied by a warning beep/notification to turn off the car.

The header tank was completely empty and the top of the gearbox appeared to be very wet. I removed the airbox assembly and it appears the leak is coming from somewhere around the underside of the thermostat housing, just above the gearbox. There is a plastic water pipe in that area that leads around to the back of the engine that was also particularly wet but doesnt appear to have any cracks itself, just have been sprayed with water. By squeezing the rad hose i briefly managed to get a bit of water to run out but it seems to be further under the thermostat and I cant quite work out where.

Are there any known issues/common problems that someone could advise of?

Not directly relevant but I notice there is a Schrader style 'bicycle' valve gap sticking out of the housing, is this to bleed air locks?

Thanks in advance.