General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Welding a damaged exhaust housing

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2017, 08:04 AM
jdsjojo
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Welding a damaged exhaust housing

After my T34 let go and discovering the turbine wheel had shed a fin and scored the housing i was wondering if it can be welded?

I'll try and get a picture up later, basically there is a 1 inch scratch that you can just get your finger nail in which i didn't see at first until i split the core from the exhaust housing. it sits directly where the wheel is and im assuming will have a diverse effect on the flow of gasses.

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Welding a damaged exhaust housing-photo974.jpg  

Last edited by jdsjojo; 13-01-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 13-01-2017, 06:43 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

im no turbo expert in not to sure what part of the turbo im looking at but if its just the space where the fins turn in give it a good rub with some emery cloth to get shot of any burrs cant see why it shouldnt go again if its cast its got to be pre heated to weld it then its got to be machined
Old 13-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Seems like a lot of work when a new housing or turbo is cheap or yiou can upgrade to something modern
Old 14-01-2017, 07:12 AM
jdsjojo
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Rang round a couple of places yesterday for advice and after describing the issue I've been told not to worry about it. It won't make much difference they said. As long as there's no burrs or chunks missing, they said just smooth the area out and make sure nothing is interfering with the wheel.

A little sceptical but I'm happy it's not been written off.

I've got a new core from Turbo Rebuild to go in, once the Saph is back on the round I have it checked over at MSD and get it on the rollers to make sure everything is cushty.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies
Old 15-01-2017, 10:44 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Not a damn thing wrong with the housing...just fire away.