General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Gearbox Focus ST any gearbox gurus👍

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 PM
RoryG25
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearbox Focus ST any gearbox gurus👍

Need some help so I have a 2006 mk2 ST Focus and am not getting any power down in first and second currently going to be running a Quaife diff and S6 drive shafts. But I'd like to change the drive in first & second through the gearbox! So anyone know what is needed and what parts. Any help from a guru who knows about gearboxs.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:04 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

The diff should help along with a decent set of tires, but like me you are running approx 300hp, and trying to put that through the front wheels in 1st and 2nd just ain't gonna happen, especially in mid winter with damp slippery roads. Mine will still spin up in 3rd and occasionally 4th depending on the road surface.
The ST is not particularly great in getting off the line, it's when your up in to 3rd gear and you can use all the torque is where the ST is good.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:20 AM
RoryG25

Surely that the ratios can be changed in the gearbox through different gear within the box?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:47 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

You may be right, changing the ratios might be possible. I'm no expert on gearboxes so I don't know. All I do know is that front wheel drive and a lot of power and torque is always gonna be an issue when trying to get it off the line. I don't know if you're aware and I forgot to mention in my last post that power and torque in the ST is already limited in 1st and 2nd to help protect the drive train and to probably help with getting it off the line. Floor it in 1st or 2nd and it will not give you full boost until you get in to 3rd.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:32 PM
RoryG25

I've been told by a friend a mechanic that there's another way round this issue, he says with the wright boost controller you can set the RPM, the BOOST when to come in and psi pressure so I'm going to have have a look into BOOST controllers.