General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheated pinto without water in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2016, 01:45 PM
MADMAXPTT
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheated pinto without water in cooling system

I have a pinto 2,1 on my Mk3 Cortina, a friend of mine started the engine for maintenance because I had it in his garage for the past few years but he hasn't noticed that there wasn't any water in the cooling system.
He started up the engine and after several minutes he noticed that engine overheated and the water temperature gauge was at max heat.
What should I check to see if there is any damage in my engine.
I have removed sparkplugs and turn the engine by my hand and I have noticed something like compression without and sparkplug installed.
Oil is clean and there is no water in it
Old 22-11-2016, 02:17 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

First things first do a compression test with a compression tester
Old 22-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
First things first do a compression test with a compression tester
Same reply from me.

If the compression or cylinder leak down test is fine then you will need to check the coolant for oil contamination and vice versa.

You can buy small bore scope cameras from machine mart and the like, if in doubt have a look down the plug hole at the bores or take the head off for inspection
Old 22-11-2016, 02:34 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

The sender is usually submerged in water to get its reading. The fact it read max in "several minutes" strikes me as very odd, more so when you say there was no water in circulation.
I'm gonna say the engines fine if it literally was a matter of minutes - it takes far more punishment to kill an old pinto .

Edit: Note you then say theres no water in the oil etc - Well there wouldnt be if there was no water in the system regardless?
Old 22-11-2016, 02:37 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Knowing a pinto it will be fine, their bullet proof. Some of the drag pintos you see at Santa pod run without a rad for the 1/4 mile run, rad removed to save weight!
Old 22-11-2016, 02:42 PM
MADMAXPTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll start it this weekend, fill up cooling system with cooling liquid and after an hour of letting the engine to warm up I'll do a compression test
I'll post reply with photos
Old 23-11-2016, 09:38 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Compression test when the engine is cold will tell you more IMO.

Same as above, if there was no coolant, you wouldn't find any contaimination between oil and water.

I also think that if it was a matter of a few to several minutes the engine will be fine.
Old 26-11-2016, 07:56 PM
lesley7

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

comp test isnt really the way head of look down the bores see if its picked up comp test can show reasonable if its picked up it will smoke like a twat when its warm a couple of mins can be fine