General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

focus mk1 stuttering/shacking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 AM
ash_husky
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus mk1 stuttering/shacking

Hi all,

Focus mk1 1.4 petrol 2001 model,

Wife's car have issue when going round bends and under acceleration not heavy as the wife isn't a girl racer. Seems to be when ever gong round bends and some times in a straight line is shakes/stutters. (like its starving it self or something) I was thinking fuel filter. Not really sure how to describe it. But its like your dipping the clutch in and out. and it just wants to die. No warning lights on dash as of yet, haven't taken it to a garage yet to get it plugged in and checked, thought id ask on here in case its a common fault somewhere. I have had a look on here but couldn't really mind much.

It does it when it wants, so I can't pin point as in hot or cold. fast or slow. It happened to me so I know its not the wife going mad. But it happens to the wife more than me as its her car and she is getting on at me. Happy wife is a happy wife they say.

Any help would be great or any advice would be great.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 AM
steppy
PassionFord Regular

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Coil pack or ignition components breaking down causing a misfire under load would be a likely suspect, also does she often run the car low on fuel? It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter and see if it improves after doing that you could also chuck some injector cleaner in and take it for an Italian tune up

Last edited by steppy; 05-04-2016 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ash_husky (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
ash_husky
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying steppy.

Ok ill have a look at them tonight and see if I can see anything that jumps out at me. Check nothing is loose. Yes she does run her car down low. I'll tell her not to but still does it. Hence my first impression was fuel issue. I will bang some injector cleaner through it and see what happens with a new fuel filter on there, and try and take it for an Italian tune up, its not that quick but ill try and give it some beans. thanks for your help.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:52 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

As above, check coil pack for cracks. My wife's 2004 Fusion started doing something similar, a new coil pack sorted it
Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by steppy
Coil pack or ignition components breaking down causing a misfire under load would be a likely suspect, also does she often run the car low on fuel? It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter and see if it improves after doing that you could also chuck some injector cleaner in and take it for an Italian tune up
Italian tune up lol, like it, haven't heard that one before. I may use that if I ever get caught speeding in a customers car