General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

6 Speed Transit Gearbox Issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Thrustyjust
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 Speed Transit Gearbox Issues ?

We run a fleet of Transits ( OK not cars but the boxes are probably car based ) and all 2012 and due to be replaced in the next 4 months or so. We have now suffered our 3rd gearbox failure of completely losing 5th gear. The first went at 15k miles, the second in another van at 80k miles and the first van has lost its second time at 105k miles. So, speaking to Ford, they say , not their problem. From calling a couple of gearbox places, they laughed and say, yes , major issue. Something about a gear spinning on a shaft, very common. I guess with so many Transits pounding the streets, we cant be the only ones suffering this. Anyone know any different ?. Out of 8 vans, 3 boxes is something we have never suffered before. The previous vans all had EGR valves, but these ones have been good, but the boxes are damn expensive to repair.
Old 17-02-2016, 09:38 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I heard from a mechanic mate that the MTX suffers from a problem with the gear linkage, which causes issues with lost gears. It's a much easier/simpler fix apparently.
Old 17-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Thrustyjust
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly this is more than cables. Seems the guys say it suddenly gets noisy and then a bang and the gear is gone. You can stick it in 5th stationary and drop the clutch and the engine doesn't change note or anything. One gearbox place I called yesterday said 3rd gear does the same too. Tried calling Ford Customer services this morning and allegedly my colleague said they were too busy on an answerphone and call back later !!