General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Hub dyno v rolling roads

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2015, 06:01 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Hub dyno v rolling roads

Anyone used a hub dyno on here?

Im guessing they are typically more reliable/accurate compared to regular rolling roads due to the fact power is measured at the wheels and there's no chance of wheelspin etc?

Cheers Paul
Old 14-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

The ones I have seen and used read higher at the hubs so you can't add Rr losses to hub losses.
To really compare you need to run your car on both and then you know the hp on both rather than guessing.

Mark
Old 14-12-2015, 07:15 PM
turbotrev

Good point.

Why do you think they would read higher?

Cheers Paul
Old 14-12-2015, 07:15 PM
turbotrev

I feel like all your doing lately is answering my questions! Lol!
Thanks though!

Cheers Paul
Old 14-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it depends what you want to do really. They are a pain in the cock for power runs as it takes quite a long time to load and unload cars. However once loaded they are probably better for tuning as (like you say) no pissing about with straps or wheel spin/keeping large sticky tyres cool etc.

They are also (or can be at least) very compact so you can roll them out the way and use the space for other things when not tuning.

If space and money was no object I would personally buy a chassis dyno as I believe them to be more representative of real world conditions (as much as can be anyway) and combined with a super dyno cell (like MSD) they are a superb tool, loading and unloading is also nice and fast for dyno days. A good cell is where its at really.

Horses for courses, but for me if you spend most of your time tuning and not doing dyno runs, and want repeatable and safe tool for the job a good hub dyno would be hard to beat. If you spend your time doing both and have the space a dyno dynamics chassis dyno is the respected name.

Both are as inaccurate as the operator.

Rob,
The following users liked this post:
turbotrev (14-12-2015)
Old 14-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by turbotrev
Good point.

Cheers Paul
All diff makes of dyno read diff I have found so if you want to compare apples to apples buy from tesco

Mark
Old 14-12-2015, 07:37 PM
turbotrev

I'm not keen on apples....

Cheers Paul

Trending Topics

Old 14-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Fast Guy

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point.

Cheers Paul
Probably because you've removed rolling resistance associated with the tyres.
Old 14-12-2015, 09:47 PM
turbotrev

I thought that but surely the hub dyno's have some kind of resistance setting to give an accurate figure?

Cheers Paul
Old 15-12-2015, 08:57 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Interestingly, I know Devil Developments recently built a Focus RS which dyno'd on their Dyno Dynamics rolling road at 766hp. This was obviously calculated at the flywheel.

People called bullshit etc... as always, so it was taken to an independent and well respected hub dyno down at Torque Developments. There it made 692bhp at the hubs, which meant it was about right on the Dyno Dynamics.

That shut everyone up as people tend not to question hub dyno figures. It was only done to compare really.
turbotrev (16-12-2015)
Old 15-12-2015, 01:24 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Good point.

Cheers Paul
Why do Dynojet read higher, why does any dyno read higher or lower ?

And higher or lower than what exactly ?

If they are repeatable, consistent etc...that's all that matters.
Old 15-12-2015, 01:29 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Fast Guy
Probably because you've removed rolling resistance associated with the tyres.
So will engine dyno's read higher because they've removed resistance from all drivetrain components ?
Old 15-12-2015, 10:26 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Blimey, back in the day this would have been a violent 20 page mega thread how times change
Old 16-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought that but surely the hub dyno's have some kind of resistance setting to give an accurate figure?

Cheers Paul

They will try to guess friction, rolling and of transmission etc but friction is really difficult to accurately model so they most likely have a generic correction factor which won't be the same for all vehicles and will not be the same for all brands of hub dyno, just like with chassis dynos, they all read fairly differently but give you a ball park figure.
Old 16-12-2015, 07:48 AM
turbotrev

Good info xrt Si.

So in reality there's probably not much difference in either with respect to that.

Cheers Paul
Old 16-12-2015, 08:57 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Blimey, back in the day this would have been a violent 20 page mega thread how times change

Good info xrt Si.

So in reality there's probably not much difference in either with respect to that.

Cheers Paul
Yeah, I think it shows certain dynos CAN be considered just as accurate. It's not quite as black and white as that, as the Devil Developments' dyno is known for being 'accurate', but that's not enough to please some people! I've seen a car that made 700bhp at AmD's dyno struggle to make 550bhp on the Devil's dyno.

I think the key thing to remember is that a well run dyno, with an operator who knows what he's doing, is the most important thing for consistency. Figures are figures, but it's nice to know similar results can be accomplished across different dynos.

Last edited by XRT_si; 16-12-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 16-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Surrey rolling road is supposedly very accurate, what ever that means. He is at least independent and not trying to lower power figures to get business.

The fewer guesses the more accurate the results will likely be. A hub dyno giving hub BHP WILL be more accurate than a DD giving estimated crank bhp. In the same way that an engine dyno will give a more accurate crank bhp figure than either.

Anything which isn't being measured at the load will be an estimate. Ie, accurate Hub HP using Hub, crank HP with engine dyno and wheel hp with chassis dyno. From this point of view I would argue that wheel HP meant more than Hub HP.

Last edited by Rob_DOHC; 16-12-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 17-12-2015, 07:17 PM
turbotrev

Funnily enough Rob I gave surrey rr a ring a few weeks back about a power run for my car (2wd saff) and he didn't wanna know.
Even though I ran my RS turbo there a few years ago he said he don't like to run older fords as they are just trouble.

He has a dyno dynamics rr

Cheers Paul
Old 17-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Funnily enough Rob I gave surrey rr a ring a few weeks back about a power run for my car (2wd saff) and he didn't wanna know.
Even though I ran my RS turbo there a few years ago he said he don't like to run older fords as they are just trouble.

Cheers Paul
Try Eurospec in Guildford they have a Dyno Dynamics RR and wont have a problem running it.

Mark
Old 17-12-2015, 07:25 PM
turbotrev

Guildford ain't far from me at all, nice one.

I did in the end went to Dynotech Hayes Engineering, in Eirth, Kent.
Problem was my car broke traction as it came on boost and spun the wheels every run.
Not 100% sure but think it was due to the super soft compound rear tyres I have fitted??
Small bits of tyre were flying everywhere!

Hence my hub dyno question

Cheers Paul
Old 17-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Guildford ain't far from me at all, nice one.

I did in the end went to Dynotech Hayes Engineering, in Eirth, Kent.
Problem was my car broke traction as it came on boost and spun the wheels every run.
Not 100% sure but think it was due to the super soft compound rear tyres I have fitted??
Small bits of tyre were flying everywhere!

Hence my hub dyno question

Cheers Paul
Strapping it down is the most important thing, I have run 809hp on Rods with little trouble,
With the semi slicks like toyo once they start to spin you have little chance of getting them to grip again.
I have also done 1053hp on a 4wd car at Eurospec with no problems either.

Mark
Old 17-12-2015, 08:22 PM
turbotrev

They said if it was 4x4 it wouldn't be a problem.
They tried strapping it down harder but with no luck.
I read somewhere that when the soft semi slicks get hot and start slipping it's game over on a rr??

I will be fitting new wheels with 'normal' road tyres in January hopefully so would like to try again with them fitted.

They said this had never happened before with even with big hp supras and skylines....

Cheers Paul
Old 17-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Fast Guy

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So will engine dyno's read higher because they've removed resistance from all drivetrain components ?
They should do because you're measuring direct at the crankshaft and you don't have any of the drivetrain losses otherwise your engine dyno would read the same as the hub dyno meaning you had a drive train with no associated losses which I'm sure at the moment is not possible.
Old 17-12-2015, 09:18 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Fast Guy
They should do because you're measuring direct at the crankshaft and you don't have any of the drivetrain losses otherwise your engine dyno would read the same as the hub dyno meaning you had a drive train with no associated losses which I'm sure at the moment is not possible.
And you can be sure the initial units they're measuring in aren't HP etc.

On any system there will be many maths channels at work to give the final numbers you see. Which means type of dyno used should be completely irrelevant.

but the all read different anyway, so it's no big deal. Use them as they are supposed to be used. As a tuning tool, nothing more. Stop all the pub HP bullshit.
Old 17-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

It can be done Trev. Went the day before to experiment. Let tyres down then strapped as hard as possible then pumped the tyres back up to 40+psi, it worked. Would have been some Power loss doing that but 809bhp was recorded this is a 803bhp run during the testing. It had made 838 on an Engine Dyno 3 years before.

Last edited by Rod-Tarry; 17-12-2015 at 09:29 PM.
turbotrev (18-12-2015)
Old 18-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
Strapping it down is the most important thing, I have run 809hp on Rods with little trouble,
With the semi slicks like toyo once they start to spin you have little chance of getting them to grip again.
I have also done 1053hp on a 4wd car at Eurospec with no problems either.

Mark
How do you strap big power stuff down Mark? I did a 600bhp skyline recently and let the car climb the front roller, ie left 3/4" of slack in the straps and used the brake bar to drag the back end down as it moved forward. That worked well and we had no wheel spin, every dyno I see who just strap RWD cars down with out the slack seem to just break traction as they come on boost.

However doing similar things on a FWD, especially if the tracking is out can be a night mare.

Rob,
Old 18-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers Paul
Thats really weird mate, in the past he has always been helpful but I usually rent the dyno rather than take cars for power runs... I haven't been to him for a long time and use another place instead for convenience.
Old 18-12-2015, 10:47 AM
turbotrev

He seemed just really anti-ford on the phone so just hung up on him!

Where do you work Rob? Or run cars?

Cheers Paul
Old 18-12-2015, 10:49 AM
turbotrev

What tyres and compound was them power runs on Rod out of interest?

If I can work it out I can try and put a my vid up or pics of the graph

Cheers Paul
Old 18-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

He seemed just really anti-ford on the phone so just hung up on him!

Where do you work Rob? Or run cars?

Cheers Paul
I usually do the dyno stuff at Austec racing in Crawley as I just hire the dyno for half a day and they leave me to it. I don't know what they would be like if you just turned up for a power run. It a dyno dynamics and whilst its not the newest of models it is in a really nice Maha dyno cell with proper extraction rather than being just a dyno sat in the middle of a workshop.
turbotrev (18-12-2015)
Old 18-12-2015, 11:32 AM
turbotrev

I know guy that works there (or used to), Glenn Sone?

Didn't know theirs was a dyno dynamics rr to be honest

Cheers Paul
Old 18-12-2015, 11:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Anyone used a hub dyno on here?

Im guessing they are typically more reliable/accurate compared to regular rolling roads due to the fact power is measured at the wheels and there's no chance of wheelspin etc?

Cheers Paul
the correct answer is "you get more bragging rights down the pub (regardless of if the operator has still guesstimated the flywheel figures, let alone the power before you take into account all the parasitic losses from the likes of the alternators and power steering pumps and if it was a hot day or the guy had forgotten to remove the probe from his cup of tea etc) because it's the next big thing inni't bruv"
Old 18-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know guy that works there (or used to), Glenn Sone?

Didn't know theirs was a dyno dynamics rr to be honest

Cheers Paul
Don't know who Glenn is sorry mate. They used to have a Maha dyno which was replaced with a DD. Sadly they got a lot of bad rep as the bloke who used to do lots of their tuning just fudged results to make power. As soon as a company does that they are doomed in my eyes. When we use the dyno we use the DD default weather station corrections (thats what its for after all ) with the understanding that the car makes what ever power it makes and I will not under any circumstances fudge results to make a customer car look better down the pub lol.

I ran my girlfriends not very old Honda Civic type S on the dyno a while back and got results which fitted the car perfectly (ie standard) so have no qualms over accuracy... or at least no doubts over ball park accuracy in as much as any other DD out there would give similar results.
turbotrev (18-12-2015)
Old 23-12-2018, 08:33 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

I did abit of research into this a few years ago with my own cars, comparing Dyno runs and real world recorded performance times

I came to the conclusion that a hub Dyno figure to get an approximate crank figure add 15 hp per hub connected to the Dyno, so add 30 hp for fwd or rwd, and 60 hp for AWD just as a guide
Old 23-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Charlie at Surrey 're has had a few cossie piss oil every where ECT and ended up costing a fortune in clean ups when the owners say the cars are perfect and as mentioned he's a independent so don't want the hassle these days
Old 24-12-2018, 12:08 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

3 year old thread bump ?
Old 24-12-2018, 10:09 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

3 year old thread bump ?

I didn't take any notice of the date just saw it searching and replied
Old 24-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Didn't know the toyo semi slicks are bad to gain traction again if they light up on the dyno ..I've got my escort in at the moment for mapping and it's on toyo R888's .
Old 24-12-2018, 02:43 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Rsmat
Didn't know the toyo semi slicks are bad to gain traction again if they light up on the dyno ..I've got my escort in at the moment for mapping and it's on toyo R888's .
Depends on the dyno.

Some have shit rollers that nothing grips on, others have rollers that are quite aggressive and need harder tyres to grip, as soft tyres get eaten up. There are just lots of variables.
Old 24-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Depends on the dyno.

Some have shit rollers that nothing grips on, others have rollers that are quite aggressive and need harder tyres to grip, as soft tyres get eaten up. There are just lots of variables.

dyno dynamics it's being mapped on ..don't fancy my new R888's being eaten .

Quick Reply: Hub dyno v rolling roads