General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Which fast car for £6k?

Search this Thread

Old 25-10-2015, 10:28 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

6k, then i had that in mind with my e90 330d m sport, cracking motor, not the best on juice, sub 70mph run and over 40mpg, over 80mph run and just holding over 30mpg.
round town you really have to reign it in to be cheap to run, but after a map and it's a tad under 280bhp (or there abouts).
really does go like stink, but not great on the twisties as i tried keeping up with a fiesta st and no where close.
i'd still entertain an e46 m3, might not be the best example for that money, but you will average over 20mpg and a very good car, don't bother with a 330i, good car but thirsty for the performance IMO.

evo, scooby best bang for bucks though, a focus st after a map would be quick.
i fancy a jag next, something nice about the xf, to look at at least.
Old 25-10-2015, 12:47 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 561 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
I also think a little perspective is required...

Yes, a Focus ST or Golf GTI isn't as quick as some of the X-billion-bhp cars on this forum, but you need to remember that the vast majority of people in this world drive cars with, what? 100bhp? 150bhp? A car with 2-230bhp is more than fast enough in the real world.

Even in my old ST220, which wasn't fast at all by the standards of this site, if you drove that car at even 30% of what it was capable of, you'd be locked up in reality.

People are obsessed with bhp.
A man who speaks sense. When we were lads running around in old hot hatches and anything we could get our hands on the words "bhp" never even got a mention. It was untill I bought my Cossie that I was introduced to the bhp obsessed crowd. My old 1.3 mg metro was one of the most fun cars I even had with half
The fluid emptied out the suspension lol but had sod all
Bhp
Old 25-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I know it's a ford site but I'm gonna stick to what I think about e36 bmws, this is coming from a mechanic also, I'm going to say and have said this to people before that I believe the Bmw e36 is the best car ever made, ever! I've seen these cars do things other cars can only dream of, my friends 316 is on 320,000 miles and has only just had its first clutch and has never ever broken down,
Not even once! He uses it everyday. We got quite a good drift scene at our
Local oval race track and I've also taken part with an old e36 I had. There's at least 5 bmws there either 323, 325 or 328 that have been drifting there once a fortnight since they started it there over 5 years ago and there on the same engines! Just my opinion but I think everything about them is awesome and I've had quite a few
Now. If I had to get rid of my Cossie then a nice 318is m coupe would be the next car in my garage
I totally agree, they are a bit long in the tooth now but I've had my 328i touring for 7 years now (longest I have ever owned a car) and really should get something a little newer/smarter but just can't bring my self to get rid. Its done just shy of 200k and has been given serious grief from day one and never lets me down.
Old 25-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can't believe some of the cars people are suggesting. It appears to me that the OP is looking for something practical enough to use every day, but still quick enough to put a smile on his face, not some twenty year old super car slayer that is going to cost a fortune to keep on the road.
I kind of agree, but think its probably down to the OP to filter out the silly suggestions. I'm not sure which cars you are specifically talking about buy I have mates who use M3's, STI's and EVO's as daily drivers with out issue. In some respects I would rather own an e36 M3 (for example) than a focus ST as the M3 will not depreciate at all where as the focus will still continue to devalue with miles.
Old 25-10-2015, 07:10 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

I can't believe some of the cars people are suggesting. It appears to me that the OP is looking for something practical enough to use every day, but still quick enough to put a smile on his face, not some twenty year old super car slayer that is going to cost a fortune to keep on the road.
Guess your comment could of been aimed at me, sorry I was really only going by the thread title, which to me didn't suggest anything about practicality, but for reliability the jap stuff I mentioned is just as good as the others, and fuel economy wouldn't be far off some either (seen focus ST mpg figures?). Provided the person looking to buy the car has a decent NCD on his insurance (the killer amongst my selections) and buys a good example, I don't think it would be too much over the running costs of some of the other choices.
Old 25-10-2015, 07:56 PM
dalmarshall
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original choice was an R32 Golf, for the power, and as it may not depreciate as much as the others, but when folk said it is over rated I thought I'd put the word out and get some opinions.

The only stuff I would discount are the 2 seaters and convertibles.
EVOS and scoobies etc may be hard to find one for 6k that hasn't been ragged to death .
Personally I think the e36 M3 3.0 is a good choice but it's not for me, it's a mate who's buying.
Focus ST could also be a contender as we're not talking about anything here that has have 300bhp plus!
His wife has a 1.6 auto focus so he just fancies something with a bit of welly.
Great suggestions and info so far, giving me plenty to look at!
Thanks so far guys keep it coming!
Old 25-10-2015, 08:19 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The ST is a good shout imo, would certainly be trying a golf GTi out, but also the golf GT TDi 170bhp if mpg is an issue. Very easy to drive, tried and test and nippy.

I am guessing if it is a family wagon and they are coming from something a but sluggish then anything with 200bhp or there about is going to feel quick so really comes down to whats a nice car to own in terms of looks, toys and drive.
Old 28-10-2015, 09:07 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

E36 M3 as a daily

They are old
Old 28-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

For me id also vote for the Focus St. My mrs boss has his for sale for £5250. 320bhp in red looks the bollocks and goes bloody well. Although I wouldn't own one as theres just too many about but that would be the only reason.

A mk1 frs for 6k? Would be a cat d for that money or mega mileage.
Old 28-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
E36 M3 as a daily

They are old
Huh? They are a great drive, and if your not bothered about petrol (which I'm not) I would rather drive an appreciating 'classic' and have some good fun than a depreciating and frankly boring rep mobile. Its different, and they drive every bit as well as anything modern in the same price bracket.
Old 28-10-2015, 10:40 AM
dalmarshall
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ST's seem to be holding their money pretty well, maybe even going up. I haven't really been paying attention over the past couple of years to the prices but I sold my 07 5 door ST225 with 34k on the clock for around £6500 ......and that was 4-5 years ago!!
I guess the RS must be keeping prices up.
E36 M3 3.0 is a great car but a bit old now.
Maybe a scooby wagon or the R32 still keeps popping up, after all its a good car and will hold its value well. Maybe not the fastest or most impressive on paper but still a good car.
Old 28-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I do like the ST and I wasn't actually talking about the ST above when I compared the M3 against a boring rep mobile, with 300bhp they are certainly a good laugh and an easy jump in a drive kind of car... just a little too common place for me, the ST3 is a nice place to be too.
Old 28-10-2015, 07:12 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

E36 m3 even not what I'd call fast after driving a few they are a very nice car to drive and use on a daily basis as are all e36 bmws. They don't feel that old once u start driving one
Old 28-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 316 Likes on 289 Posts

Mate mate just recently bought a mk6 golf gti and he hates it says it bores him to tears just not an involving drive. I like the inside smart seats ect but wouldn't say it felt like a hot hatch, power delivery felt n/a
Old 28-10-2015, 08:20 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Golf's are SO dull it's almost impressive.

A well piloted EP3 will run rings around most things.

Surprised no one has mentioned an early S3, a bit flat as standard but a map wakes them up.
Even a B5 S4 ticks the boxes.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 AM
mgtkr1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

just got the mrs a 172 sport and I love it. the build quality comes under criticism but coming from old fords, its really not bad. goes well enough and even shunned my r32 gtr as I enjoy the little Renault that much, has all the mod cons and is relatively comfortable. these can be had for 1200-1500 and as long as the cambelt has been done word is there trouble free. the 182 is even better,by a fair wack going on reviews ive read. if you can find a 182 trophy then I think it would be a good choice and a genuine contender in the hot hatch class. also the fact that there quite an exclusive bit of kid. I imagine the extra 10 or so hp makes a fairly big difference in such a light car.the little 172 is hardly slow. an added bonus is the fuel economy is also beyond reasonable, 36-38mpg

Last edited by mgtkr1; 02-11-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default fast-ish

could you get a leggy 335d for that?
i have one it can do 45mpg,mapped they are quickish[or a tuning box]
handle ok ish too
nice cars to drive-not got the character of an m car though-but lots cheaper to tax/insure and run
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by danneth
3mps of course
Listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about. Awesome cars and better than any focus St in my opinion as I looked at both before I bought my MPs and glad I made the rite decision.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevos
Listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about. Awesome cars and better than any focus St in my opinion as I looked at both before I bought my MPs and glad I made the rite decision.
The 3mps is a pretty quick car decent inside too
Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I used to work in Mazda dealership and I honestly thought the 3 MPs was pretty slow tbh, the Mazda 6 MPs was much better
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I looked round a couple of both before I bought my st. I didn't like the mps as the interior was cheap and plasticky, seats were uncomfortable, the whole thing felt tinny and the doors were really thin and shut with a clang instead of the focus's thud.

Just reminded me of your usual economy Japanese hatch, not much special at all!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 PM
stevos

Originally Posted by RichieST
I looked round a couple of both before I bought my st. I didn't like the mps as the interior was cheap and plasticky, seats were uncomfortable, the whole thing felt tinny and the doors were really thin and shut with a clang instead of the focus's thud.

That's exactly how I felt about the focus ritchie I thought it was cheap looking inside and just wasn't doing it for me. I have a mk2 3 MPs and is much nicer inside than the mk1 MPs. It's funny how everyone views cars in different ways.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 PM
stevos

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I used to work in Mazda dealership and I honestly thought the 3 MPs was pretty slow tbh, the Mazda 6 MPs was much better
The 6 MPs probably felt quicker because it's 4wd.
I do agree the 3 MPs is shit in 1st gear as the engine has torque limiters but once it's in second it feels great.
I also like the fact not a lot of people know what they are.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The 6 MPs probably felt quicker because it's 4wd.
I do agree the 3 MPs is shit in 1st gear as the engine has torque limiters but once it's in second it feels great.
I also like the fact not a lot of people know what they are.
Yeah I'm defo not knocking it as a cool car as I did like them and handled like it was on rails, I think it's since driving my stage 3 saph it's hard finding something else that has that pull as it were, that's the prob when u own something fairly quick that when u get in a lot of other cars it can seem slow compared. Mind u some of the vw and Audi diesels I've driven lately have surprised me!!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 PM
It's Czech Mate

This, nasty and cheap feeling one the newness wears off, not as well resolved as a focus either IMO, they gave it more headline power to attract sales that is all, in every other way it's worse than the focus IMO
Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 PM
stevos

Horses for Courses really everyone has different experiences with cars. I viewed a few of both before I bought my mk2 3 MPs and in my eyes the St never came came close to the equipment level of my 3 and how anyone that owns an St can say the Mazda is plasticky inside compared to focus must be blind.The two tone dash in the St is just awful and the centre console is horrible. It was the interior of the St that put me off them.dont get me wrong the St is a great car in its own rite but would I sell my MPs to get one now. Not a chance in my eyes the mk2 3 MPs is a much nicer place to be than an old focus.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:39 PM
It's Czech Mate

There's a reason they had to give it more power and equipment and make it cheaper than an St...........

Having said that neither were the car for me anyway. Far too thirsty for that level of performance.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sat side by side on the forecourt, the St I bought had parking sensors, dual zone climate, Bluetooth, sat nav, xenons, recaro seats, voice control, disc changer etc. The mps it was next to had air con, a disc changer and I think it might have had a cup holder or two. Both with similar mileage, condition and price. Yes the mps may have been quicker in a straight line but after a few hundred quid the focus is chucking out 300bhp, which imo is much more than you could have done with a mazda. I'm not trying to have an argument or anything, but when I was in the market, the mazda couldn't even come close to what the st was offering!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Having said that neither were the car for me anyway. Far too thirsty for that level of performance.
I sold it after being unable to keep up with a diesel audi
The following users liked this post:
It's Czech Mate (03-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 AM
stevos

Fair point mate we all like different stuff. The ST was the rite car for you over the MPs and vice versa for me. Still both two great cars just depends what you fancy.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I sold it after being unable to keep up with a diesel audi
So then you bought an even slower car?
Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Megane 225/230.
I had a 225 Cup (without diff), 35mpg daily when driven like a human on the commute, yet quicker than a Type R on the road. I wish I kept it to use as a sensible daily when I got my Evo. It did everything very very well imo.