General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

External wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default External wastegates

Dougs issue with trying to find a decent price on external wastegates has got me thinking.

Ive found a really cheap source of external wastegates, they do a couple of different designs, a basic one which is good for a few hundred bhp and a bigger one which is good for the massive power engines.

If i imported a few extra when im buying some stuff in anyway, do you think people would want them?

Im thinking as much here for people who just want a cheap way to run a screamer pipe after disabling their internal wastegate really with the lower spec ones.

Would be around 100 quid for the lower spec ones, and a couple of hundred quid for the larger ones?

Ill get details/specs/pictures etc if people are interested
Old 05-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chip,
Would be very careful with external wastegates, as some of them have suspect material specs and are not up to the exhaust gas temps that Cossies tend to see. Also incorrectly speccing the wastegate size and they won't offer sufficient boost control .
Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Mike cheers for your input, much appreciated, but as i said the cheaper ones i was thinking more for the stage 1-3 but want the noise type brigade or even more so all the people with CVH lumps out there who like the idea of a noisey screamer pipe, so they arent exactly after the ultimate in control, these gates will take a fair bit of abuse heat wise though as i know people who have used them, for boost control, even a badly specced external gate will compete well against the internal penny valve rubbish found on most turbos.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Ive seen cheap ones like that from the USA, ive also seen the comments from the people whos used them

Il stick with paying 300quid delivered for a top of the range one ta

If anyone wants a cheap but reliable wastegate, go get one off an Audi down a scrap yard, they do the job
Old 05-04-2005, 10:34 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree with Stevo.