General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Transit T260 2.0L Di Battery Light Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2015, 10:17 PM
gareth2304
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Transit T260 2.0L Di Battery Light Staying On

I have owned my Transit T260 2L Di for a few months now with no problems at all. The other day the battery light came on whilst driving and stayed on, It now stays on all the time when the van is running apart from occasionally going off when first started but as soon as i rev it comes on again. I have read many post explaining that a corroded wire from the alternator can cause this. So i firstly tested the voltage at the 5 amp fuse F4 which gave me 12 volts. I then started inspecting the wiring from the alternator to the fuse box in the engine compartment, All seamed to be intact. the next place i intended to look was the generator cut off relay R5, I found it was not were the haynes manual said it should be. Looking at the gap were it should be i could not see any connectors for a relay to fit into. I also checked the passengers side fuse box for the battery saver relay R15 and once again it was missing. Im a bit confused as the light never came on before and nothing has changed since i bought the van. I also checked the battery voltage which reads 12.3v ignition off 14.5v running. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Gareth

Old 26-04-2015, 09:21 PM
gareth2304
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit of an update today, When i first bought the van it had been stood over the winter. The seller said he had to jump start it so the first thing i did was to go to halford and got a new battery. I matched the code on their chart to the van HB010, after reading a few post advising to check that a lead acid was not fitted i looked at the battery i had bought. It was a lead acid type so off i went to halford were they changed it for a silver calcium (which they should of sold me in the first place). The battery light went out straight away but a mile later it was on again. Now the light goes off when first started and comes on shortly after driving aprox 1 mile. Still confused about the missing Generator cut-off relay and battery saver relay.