General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

in my quest for a new car....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default in my quest for a new car....

With literally minutes to spare the seller has pulled my bid, which was pretty high, from the auction and now it's listed as "sold"

Pissed of is an understatement

But rather than making a noise about it on eBay what are the rules about pulling a sale? It was all "collection in a timely manner" and that but nothing about being for sale elsewhere and it could be pulled at any time
Old 10-08-2014, 10:27 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 395 Likes on 359 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by dojj
With literally minutes to spare the seller has pulled my bid, which was pretty high, from the auction and now it's listed as "sold"

Pissed of is an understatement

But rather than making a noise about it on eBay what are the rules about pulling a sale? It was all "collection in a timely manner" and that but nothing about being for sale elsewhere and it could be pulled at any time
Were you the highest bidder with only minutes to go? If so you should have won it. Sounds a bit fishy to me. E-Bay is a bit of a minefield with lots of rules which seem to be able to be interpreted in different ways to peoples advantage.
I recently thought I had bought a motorbike silencer on E-bay as I paid for it via pay-pal only to find out more than a week later and it still not turning up I had a refund and a note to say it was no longer for sale! Obviously sold it to someone else for a higher price.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thought there was a cut off time for removal.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 AM
dojj

Looking at the feed back it's a trader
Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 PM
HaggisTurbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a cut off for removal its 24 hours before auction end. Unfortunately there is nothing stopping someone cancelling all the bids so that it doesn't sell.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:44 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Ebay can be a right pain! Its blatantly obvious when something is being bumped up to try and get more money, had it happen to me. Cant remember what it was but as soon as I bid on an item I was outbid moments later, when it had been up for some time with zero interest. Gave up as I couldn't be bothered to spend any more, the auction ended and it was re listed a couple of days later with the same seller.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
I recon that sounds a bit tall Dojj, you cant pull an auction in the last few mins.. Maybe you were outbid by a bidder using a sniper ??
Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 PM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Seen as though no one else as asked, what were you bidding on?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
I recon that sounds a bit tall Dojj, you cant pull an auction in the last few mins.. Maybe you were outbid by a bidder using a sniper ??
the car in question

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251607457955
and the email i got from ebay:

The bid that you entered for the item (251607457955) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Please be cautious if you are contacted about purchasing this item after the bid has been cancelled and as always, avoid paying for your eBay item using instant wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram as these payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.

Regards,
eBay

but seeing as there are NO BIDS i can't see the bid history

buying a new car has never been easy i'll give you that, but this is just taking the piss now, it's been over a month and every car i've looked at has either been overpriced tat or the guys not got back to me or (in one case) the guy was not available when i wanted to do the deal and the deal was done in the meantime with someone else

in the last case i can say "well, you know what, that's just life" but for the dozen or so other cars i've treked to see or called up about to arrange a viewing or enquired about, people just don't want to know or want top money for a bottom $ motor

and while i've now spent the money i had put aside to buy a car, it still doesn't make it any better to see so many peeps out there trying to shaft you
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM
tkracing
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't use ebay unless it's project or bargain, it's a joke.
The whole bidding up yourself thing is so easy to do and you know exactly what's going on.
I wish everybody used the auction site as it should be used, I mean bidding something you want up yourself days in advance is downright stoopid.... Don't bid until the very last minute or two.
Why give someone else a chance to up the price, stoopid is as stoopid does. If everybody did it right there would be again the true values of stuff, and some bargains to boot......
Not just people logging on thinking oh there's one sold for x amount, mines must be worth that, where in reality the item was bid up many times and re listed.... Fuk in joke.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
dojj

Already posted about the guy who bid his motor up and then second chanced me

And on this one I stick in my Max bid and then let it go to the end because I'd rather let someone else sweat it out