General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Master cylinder size for hyd clutch

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Dont think i made any complaint about the centre push it works just fine.
I read it as if you were saying it's not as good, which I don't agree with.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
jamie956
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Right a bit of an update now have the car running and driving but still have issues , its difficult to get into gear when cold and crunchy to get reverse, once up to temp forward gears ok but sometimes a little difficult during a change and reverse 50/50 if it gos in.

Box has been recon'ed everything else new so im thinking I still need more travel on the fork which means a 0.75 master cylinder any one else had to go to this size.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep I run a 0.75 master cylinder on mine it's quite heavy in comparsion to the 0.625 but works very well.
Rich
Old 13-07-2014, 08:09 PM
jamie956

Still struggling with this fitted a .75 master cylinder and still the same may be in my head but seams as if its getting worse.

Can not get reverse now with engine running, you can also feel car try to move when you put it in first this is with the clutch peddle to the floor which is what's making me think its not enough fork travel.

every thing is adjusted up so as soon as you push the peddle you get movement on the fork and getting plenty of travel on the MC.

Could it be a box or clutch issue, shifter is also a after market pro type could this be the problem.
Old 16-07-2014, 09:36 PM
jamie956

Anyone its doing my head in now
Old 16-07-2014, 09:39 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Dose seem a little odd! Have you mounted the slave the same as others going by the few pics that are on this sight? There's a few using slaves of that size with out a problem! It's not some thing silly like the clutch plate sticking on the splines and not realising fully is it
Old 16-07-2014, 09:58 PM
jamie956

Slave cylinder was fitted to the belle housing by Rayland so all in the right place,

Not sure how the clutch plate could be sticking it dose drive so would have freed it off if stuck.
Old 16-07-2014, 10:01 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by jamie956
Slave cylinder was fitted to the belle housing by Rayland so all in the right place,

Not sure how the clutch plate could be sticking it dose drive so would have freed it off if stuck.
If the plate is stiff on the splines and don't slide on them very well it can not disengage fully letting drive through the box. Making it feel like the clutch is not working. Just a thought
Old 16-07-2014, 10:10 PM
jamie956

Yer see what your saying I think im getting good travel on the clutch fork so there's gotta be something else going on, its all new clutch, bearing, fork and rebuilt box so even if it all comes apart again don't think I will be able to see anything wrong.
Old 16-07-2014, 11:24 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

So were the plates free on the splines ?
Old 17-07-2014, 08:53 AM
jamie956

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So were the plates free on the splines ?
To be honist i never checked the clutch plate on the gearbox shaft before i put it all together but the box slid on and off a pice of piss, if the splines on the shaft or in the plate where damaged i think you would have felt resistance getting the box on,
Old 17-07-2014, 09:01 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

To be honist i never checked the clutch plate on the gearbox shaft before i put it all together but the box slid on and off a pice of piss, if the splines on the shaft or in the plate where damaged i think you would have felt resistance getting the box on,
Not always as the weigh of pushing the box in can hide it.
It only takes for it to be a little stiff and it will hold against the flywheel with the clutch released. I see it a fair bit at work
Old 19-07-2014, 05:01 PM
jamie956

Right the mystery continues, pulled the box off checked everything and it looks good plate slides nicely on the main shaft.

So thought I would try another clutch fitted a used standard one, now when I had the helix paddle in there was approx 20mm movement back and forth on the fork with the standard one in the fork is pushed hard up against the back of the hole in the belle housing, I can now get all gears but the clutch slips really bad normal driving, so im thinking the bearing is pushing on the cover all the time.

I really cant understand it
Old 19-07-2014, 05:07 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

So the installed height of the two is completely different ?

Is it a standard fork and release bearing ?..and correct ones ?
Old 19-07-2014, 05:15 PM
jamie956

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So the installed height of the two is completely different ?

Is it a standard fork and release bearing ?..and correct ones ?
Yep std fork modded by rayland for the hyd slave, fork and release bearing brought from Burton.

Measured the depth of the covers both laid flat on the bench measured from the bench to the surface the bearing sits on and the std used cover is approx 4-5mm taller than the new helix.
Old 19-07-2014, 05:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

you need to measure the installed height.

ie cover bolted to flywheel with plate installed. The height of the clutch fingers is what matters in this respect.
Old 19-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

The installed height will be near enough the same, my kit works perfectly with a Helix, AP or std clutch cover.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:00 PM
jamie956

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
The installed height will be near enough the same, my kit works perfectly with a Helix, AP or std clutch cover.
Hi Martin

Was gonna give you a call Monday to try figure out what's going on,

With the slave off and the helix clutch in there is about 20mm movement back a forth I think this is normal, with the slave on it pushes the bearing onto the cover. with a .75 master it pushes the slave out about 1'' not sure if this is the slave travel maxing out or the limit of the push from the MS, like this bite is on the floor forward gears go in but not nice and no chance of reverse so not enugh push on cover.

With the slave off and a standard but used clutch in the fork is pushed hard up against the back of the belle housing hole, belle housing wouldn't sit against block tight needed the bolts to pull it up making me think the bearing is pushing on the cover, when driven all gears easy to get in but bite right at the top clutch slips bad driving no boost.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:02 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Most clutches only need the release bearing to move approx 5mm from fully engaged to disengaged, sounds like this may be the route of your problem.

NB. this is bearing not fork movement.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:08 PM
jamie956

Originally Posted by markk
Most clutches only need the release bearing to move approx 5mm from fully engaged to disengaged, sounds like this may be the route of your problem.

NB. this is bearing not fork movement.

Well that's what I thought hence trying a different clutch, just cant figure out why the fork can move with one clutch in but be pushed back with another.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Hi Martin

Was gonna give you a call Monday to try figure out what's going on,

With the slave off and the helix clutch in there is about 20mm movement back a forth I think this is normal, with the slave on it pushes the bearing onto the cover. with a .75 master it pushes the slave out about 1'' not sure if this is the slave travel maxing out or the limit of the push from the MS, like this bite is on the floor forward gears go in but not nice and no chance of reverse so not enugh push on cover.

With the slave off and a standard but used clutch in the fork is pushed hard up against the back of the belle housing hole, belle housing wouldn't sit against block tight needed the bolts to pull it up making me think the bearing is pushing on the cover, when driven all gears easy to get in but bite right at the top clutch slips bad driving no boost.
Give me a call but I think it needs looking at by someone experienced so that the fault can be spotted straight away.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:15 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Well that's what I thought hence trying a different clutch, just cant figure out why the fork can move with one clutch in but be pushed back with another.
Measure installed height relative to bellhousing face ( ie block face. )

Then you have a reference point for both clutch fingers, and the release bearing and where it needs to be when installed, but foot not touching the pedal.

Obviously at rest with all hydraulics retracted, there should be no pressure on the fingers at all. There should be some clearance, even 5-10mm to account for heating up and future wear etc.

By design, a hydraulic setup will naturally take up this slack in operation.

Clearly whatever combination of parts you have used the second time around is leaving the clutch cover with pressure on it.

The set of parts you used first time, appears the fingers have been far too far away and you arent getting enough travel/release

Something is very different between the two setups.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:18 PM
jamie956

Give me a call but I think it needs looking at by someone experienced so that the fault can be spotted straight away.

Yes thinking I need to bring it up to you would you want it all apart (box out) or put back together with the helix in.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Yes thinking I need to bring it up to you would you want it all apart (box out) or put back together with the helix in.
Bring it box out and I will take a look, I've sold hundreds of these over the years and problems rarely ever occur so it should be an easy spot to find the problem.

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 19-07-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:34 PM
jamie956

Bring it box out and I will take a look, I've sold hundreds of these over the years and problems rarely ever occur so it should be an easy spot to find the problem.
Do you think you can look at it this week?
Old 19-07-2014, 06:39 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts