General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

speccing posh sound upgrades in motors

Search this Thread

Old 17-06-2014, 08:12 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default speccing posh sound upgrades in motors

you know the ones i'm on about, b&o orharmon kardon or whatever they are called this week types where you pay 5 grand for posh sounds and they stick in a different make of speaker

are they really that much better than the standard systems?

and are they worth the price?

and if they are, can you have them retro fitted?

etc

plenty of passionbmw/audi type owners here so it's the place to ask right
Old 17-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I cant see how these posh speakers are worth a fortune. Are they just like posh clothes, are you just paying for the name. Ive got a Technics hifi from about 20 years ago that my dad bought. The standard speakers are crap so I swapped them for some aiwa speakers and there miles better.

Ive got a pair of Vibe 6x9s in the cossie and they sound really well. There a good quality too.
Old 17-06-2014, 09:34 AM
RobedST24
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The quality of b&o & harmonn karmon against standard is second to none but for whatever it is extra it doesnt seem viable to be fair i myself would go to a decent car audio centre and purchase my own brand for e.g vibe cerwin vega pioneer ect ect give better sound quality
Old 17-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Best i ever heard was a Harmon Kardon demo system in a Merc. A real attempt to get quality sound in a car which is near impossible of course.
Most dont want quality just loud & lots of bass & thats easily achieved.
Dont see you as a real head banger Dojj but if you are 4 18" drivers about 2" from your ear & 4 10KW amps will make you cool to many.
Old 17-06-2014, 10:16 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

funnily enough rod, my mates gl has 2 speakers missing as he didn't get the upgrade (dealer demo model minus electric rear seat fold and the sounds)

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/bro...Class_1012.pdf

he's missing speaker no 6's but was wondering if it would have been worth the hype (plus his kids are complaining that they can't hear in the 3rd row) but seeing as so many german motors have this as an option on the list worth several thousand pounds, surely you'd then not be able to retro fit them as you'd need to reloom the entire vehicle yes?
Old 17-06-2014, 10:20 AM
RobedST24
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if he was to remove the panel at a guess the cables should be there mate
Old 17-06-2014, 11:25 AM
kingbx95
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't bother to much with dealer/manufacturer upgrades. They tend to just be louder with more clarity which doesn't equal Sq (sound quailty)

Decent sound quality (audiophile) can be achieved in a car environment.

It doesn't come cheap though and is often destructive to the car meaning major modifications and endless hour's of install and set up. Especially in modern motors...

I run a decent Sq sound system with a infinite baffle sub idw15 made by Image dynamics (90 's kit not the modern crap) audison components in custom baffles and tweeter a pillar builds. All run off of some of phoenix golds top line 90 ' amps (route 66 and zx series) and a pro audio processor (this is needed to tune the sound to compensate for the poor environment of a car) and a top end denon head unit.

It's not loud but sounds so sweet. All built myself taking many hours of install and even longer to tune correctly.

It's not high high end St all rwally either but a good daily listen. And probably not worth the money time or hassle for the average person to be honest.

Check out talkaudio if your serious about good sound in a car.

Just my 2 pence!!

Trending Topics

Old 17-06-2014, 11:56 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Are the upgrades worth what the dealer charges? No chance! I remember a friend getting his 2012 BMW 5-series kitted out in HK's finest audio equipment, only to hear a vehicle fitted with a Gladen Audio upgrade and him nearly be brought to tears at the realisation that a sub £1000 system was louder, cleaner and more detailed than his £4000 upgrade from BMW!

OE systems these days are pretty good for factory...MILES better than they used to be, but I would never spend the money dealers want for these so called upgraded audio systems...I know what can be done by saving that money, spending less, and installing some properly decent kit!

Most upgraded kits in vehicles these days are only consider 'entry level' compared to what else is available in the market.