General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

VIC at VOSA....

Search this Thread

Old 31-05-2014, 07:11 AM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default VIC at VOSA....

Is it right that the VIC bloke can see your car, not even open the door to check the I.D of the car and because of some dents in the rear quarters can just say - it has failed.

Now, I wasn't aware that this was a road-worthy-ness test? I presumed it was purely to check the identity of the vehicle?

I know most who buy a car that needs a VIC would repair the damage in order to then sell the car. So presumably those people would go for an MOT then the VIC?

It seems I have wasted forty odd quid to find this out.

Any advice fella's?

Cheers
Old 31-05-2014, 08:29 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

So you have a VIC 21 with the reason for failure and are awaiting the Police and or DVLA to investigate?

"If your car fails its VIC

You’ll get a VIC failure notice (VIC21) with the reasons for failure. The case will then be investigated by the police or DVLA - this may take several weeks.
If the car’s identity is then confirmed you’ll get your VIC20 pass certificate.
If the car’s identity can’t be confirmed the VIC marker will remain on the vehicle record.

Assuming the vehicle just has a few MOT compliant dents in the quarter then you have no option other than to appeal.;
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-appeal-vic-17

Last edited by focusv8; 31-05-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 31-05-2014, 08:47 AM
NC53
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has nothing to do with any damage to the car. It is simply an identity check. The guys who did mine were pretty much clueless. Didn't even know where the engine number was on a CVH. I had to point them in the right direction on everything.

As said above, if they have failed it, they should have issued you with a failure notice with reasons.
Old 31-05-2014, 09:12 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

You have to have shown that the bulk of the repair or significant effort and cost has been put into the repair.
Think about it.
The test is to ensure written off and damaged cars are not ringed and different bodies etc are used to repair them.

If you haven't even started the repair, you could simply buy a car damaged, go for a vic test, then go away and ring the car as you intended anyway
So although they can't stop it, all they try to see is that you have put time, effort and money into the repair so are less likely to go away and ring it.
Old 31-05-2014, 12:26 PM
davidfox280585
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

james is 100% correct,
i saw an asian guy come in a battered yaris clearly made no attempt to repair,i told him in the waiting room it will fail and it sure did,he didnt even take it in the workshop,

i personally have taken cars part repaired and they can see i had done a big chunk of it and they passed
Old 31-05-2014, 06:48 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I bought an impreza from salvage a couple of years ago. I repaired it but had'nt got round to painting it when it went in for it's VIC and passed no problems. A VIC is to check the chassis numbers have'nt been tampered with not how well it's been repaired, unless things have changed since then.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Okay lads, I never thought about it properly did I! (thick cunt)

Cheers all
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 AM
rhinopower
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last car I took for vic had all different colour replacement panels but passed fine.

It did however have a cracked windscreen, it failed the mot first time round on wiper blades, which I changed in the car park, and the arm flew down and cracked the screen, but the retest was only on the items that failed. The tester wasn't very impressed he had to pass it!