General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Outdoor CCTV kit for driveway etc???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Outdoor CCTV kit for driveway etc???

I'm after a CCTV setup, anyone on here know much about what is on the market?

Things I require:

Cameras wireless so I only need to run power to them not signal wires too (got a couple of different garages I want to mount them off and each garage already has power)

Can record for at least a week at a time (so no good recording to an SD card, needs to be either laptop based or have a hard disk in it)

Cameras waterproof, and ideally relatively tough, although at least if there are a few cameras they'll get filmed by one breaking another I guess.

4 cameras on same setup

And I don't have an unlimited budget for it, needs to be under a grand all in really.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have a 4 cam setup from Argos, don't know if they still do them, but they included wireless remote to them, each were individually motorised. Full tv link. Paid £200 a few year ago, well worth the money and never failed.

Also worth a look is Costco, if you can get an account they had some professional setups for £600 including door caller cam.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I got a 4 camera Sony chip set CCTV system for my house. 1TB hard drive records for 2 months loop, night vision, excellent visibility and can have it linked to your smart phone when connected to the lan wireless Internet. Was about £350 from a firm on eBay.

P.s chip PM coming your way
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless wireless have come a long way in the past couple of years, I'd suggest going with wired. I've got 4 wireless cameras hooked up to a hard disc recorder that you can view from anywhere. If someone even farts the picture jumps and throws a wobbler

I need to replace mine so worth keeping an eye on this thread for decent, non wallet busting replacements. I'd prefer wireless but in all fairness if I went wired, I'd only have to do it once.

I've seen some of the stuff that Ish has done for people on here and the end result looks pretty good. Can't remember the prices though.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a wireless camera somewhere, but when used it was shit, so much interference all the time, was £100 .

You could also wire it to the the recorder, and the picture was great.

But guessing that's your only option with where the garages are situated.

I now have 4 wired cams , that were recommended but... Ish of here, a few years back, iqc649v I think they are?

Last edited by Fil; 10-08-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Chip

If the wireless is IP stuff over a wifi network there should be NO loss in quality, its the older analog wired stuff that is shite normally.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

didn't know about the wireless ip stuff, my cam worked via 2.4 ghz hence me saying the quality was crap.

will take a look at the WiFi ip stuff myself in a bit
Old 14-08-2013, 11:23 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly question, if using wifi surely if you loose your Internet connection or someone cuts your phone cable to the house the CCTV will be useless?
Old 15-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Old ford
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell wireless CCTV kits were I work, made by. German company so good quality.
The cameras are wireless linked to the record unit but have to be connected to a standard plug point, I have just run a 4 way extension into the loft and plugged 4 cameras in.
I use a large sd card and get more than a week recording on it as its set to record on motion detection only and you can set various lengths of record.
I will look for a link to it when I get to work.
Old 15-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

youve been able to get networkable cameras for years, either over cat5 cable or wireless. Nothing new really.

You wont loose your internet. Unless youve chosen IP cameras and are recording/viewing them offsite via the internet, then the internet connection makes no difference to functioning.

Most CCTV server units and most computer based CCTV software can be connected to the internet these days. This is to allow remote viewing, alarm features etc. The decent packages usually even have an iphone or android app to suit.

Dead easy to do if you have static IP address. Otherwise just use a free DDNS type service. However be aware that some internet service providers "free" routers don't offer a DDNS ability, so you may need to buy a semi-decent router.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:27 PM
rsturbolee
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a y-cam bullet it's brilliant, records on motion detection I do have it on high quality but can still record 4 days worth on 8gb card
Old 16-08-2013, 11:58 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Chip, what's the reason you want to go wireless? Just effort?

The wireless systems I've seen (and certainly those within your budget) are a basic analogue or proprietary digital system - not wifi.

You could start mucking around with IP cameras and seperate outdoor APs/bridges, but it's not going to come in budget, especially once you've included an NVR of some kind.

Chris
Old 17-08-2013, 06:09 AM
fezzielove
PassionFord Regular

wireless over ip cameras may seem great due to simplicity and the lack of wiring needed to get them operational, But they are vulnerable to a really simple network flood attack, this can be done from a laptop or a mobile phone now, the attacker flooding the router with fake clients and useless packets causing the router to crash and disconnect connected clients, I know it seeks unlikely that a thief would know this but advances in technology are making this more available and easier to use.
Old 17-08-2013, 07:09 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Look on the Maplins site.
We have just installed 6 cameras (not wireless) on a friends place after they got burgled.
2 of the cameras are remote swivel and run on a constant sweep.
The kit comes with an app for smart phones which lets you move the cameras and zoom in from anywhere.
The kit we used came in at around £400 which would leave you plenty of spare dollar in your budget to buy cable extensions etc.
Old 17-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Sounds good for 400 quid.

me and the wife are after a cctv system for our house now.
Old 17-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by cjwood555
Chip, what's the reason you want to go wireless? Just effort?

The wireless systems I've seen (and certainly those within your budget) are a basic analogue or proprietary digital system - not wifi.

You could start mucking around with IP cameras and seperate outdoor APs/bridges, but it's not going to come in budget, especially once you've included an NVR of some kind.

Chris
Yeah just laziness really. But have changed my mind now, and would sooner go cable I think, just for reliability reasons really.

Have had another look at where to mount the cameras though and I think 3 will be fine to still cover everything I want to, on the clio forum a couple of lads are suggesting the Y3K cameras and recorder, which look decent quality.

Would still come in under a grand for 3 cameras and recorder.
Old 17-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by Chip
on the clio forum a couple of lads are suggesting the Y3K cameras and recorder, which look decent quality.
That site was also recomended on here, after searching the site and working out what I wanted I ended up ordering the same kit from www.safetysavers.co.uk for a bit less money, that turned up next day and is all good.
Old 17-08-2013, 02:44 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

When people say they are impressed with kit, can we have some model numbers or links to actual stuff please? Also interested in this...
Old 17-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
When people say they are impressed with kit, can we have some model numbers or links to actual stuff please? Also interested in this...

that would be helpfull wouldnt it

i got this kit IQSYS4P-W main reason being its the cameras i wanted and 4 of them , IQC649V .

sorry no screen shots as the setting up of the dvr on the internet is a complete nightmare, as static ips, port forwarding and such stuff are a complete mystery to me, and ive not had long enough to sit down and work it out yet.
Old 17-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

infact these are the cams at night in use if i remember correctly, tho this was 4 years ago,

https://passionford.com/forum/4171885-post28.html
Old 17-08-2013, 03:28 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fil
that would be helpfull wouldnt it

i got this kit IQSYS4P-W main reason being its the cameras i wanted and 4 of them , IQC649V .

sorry no screen shots as the setting up of the dvr on the internet is a complete nightmare, as static ips, port forwarding and such stuff are a complete mystery to me, and ive not had long enough to sit down and work it out yet.
Perfect. Cheers mate.
Old 17-08-2013, 03:40 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

This is the kit we fitted.
http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=787989

The price has gone up since we bought one (might have been a sale price) but I still think its a good bit of kit for the money.