General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mk 1 golf turbo'd (missing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mk 1 golf turbo'd (missing)

A friend of mine has a mk1 golf gti fitted with an audi tt 1.8 5v turbo lump. The car and engine ran fine until he changed the turbo for a hybrid and now when its gets up to around 4k revs it splutters and misses when your floor it, but if your light on the throttle it will rev to 6kish before it does it and its only a tiny amount. We changed the plugs like for like, also replaced the pencil coils for new ones and it still does it. But un knowing to me till now they fitted a new forge actuator when they fitted the turbo and I can literally pull the waste gate wide open with one finger!! So my thinking is as the tps is telling the ecu that the throttle is at wot and then dumps the fuel in accordingly, would the fact that the boost is dropping off so quickly its flooding the cylinders and causing the misfire ?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you changed your map since swapping turbos?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Fullflush
Have you changed your map since swapping turbos?
No the map hasn't been altered yet, I cant see that causing this though at such low rpm and the fact its running a 1/3rd of the boost
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

preload the actuator and try it again, costs nothing to try and easy enough to give that a try before spending any more money
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by jamie's
preload the actuator and try it again, costs nothing to try and easy enough to give that a try before spending any more money
That's what im saying mate, the actuator although its a brand new forge item is weak as anything, over a 1/3rd weaker than the previous one so even with a mass of pre load its just opening it so easy. Im going to measure the original one tomorrow and see what reading I get then get onto forge for another spring. Im pretty sure the previous actuator was the original as its actually welded to the bracket rather than having the two studs to bolt it on.