General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bleeding Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2005, 05:49 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam, Right you wanna organise this for tomorrow night. Tuesday? Would not of offered you plum if I was not serious.

PM me your address and time Ill be there.
Lee, would be superb mate.

Iv'e pm'd u my addy. But, dunno if thios will be enough, U know where Stu lives? Sorta in the middle of no where, u got sat nav or something?

U got my number, ring me if u get lost, also, what time? any time from 7pm would be good.
Old 21-03-2005, 05:55 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Dont need to lift the calipers AT ALL. Its the bottle of fluid that needs to be higher than the caliper so no air can get drawn back into the system.
Cheers for confirming that Lee. The other Lee will be round tomorrow so we'll have a good blast at getting these poxy brakes sorted! woooo hoooo
Old 21-03-2005, 10:33 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Bloody hell you have phone coverage out there now too
Old 21-03-2005, 10:37 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Not really Tony, no
Old 22-03-2005, 08:13 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

OK,

Lee left a short while ago top bloke!

I have a pedal again now, and it is sooo much better than before, but as we kinda both agreed not 100%

I must admit Lee, I went out in the car just round the block in it and it does stop suprisingly well and there aint exsessive travel in the pedal now, just as I said to ya feels a tad spongy.

*Question*.....

I didn't notice this before now but tonight whilst bleeding the brakes we noticed that there is a "hissing" coming from the servo area (hard to establish exactly where) its strange, Lee didn't have this on his rs and aint heard of it before, we not sure if that is normal or not, it happens when pressing down on the pedal, anyone know what this is? or is there a leak of some sort somewhere?

When we had bled the brakes it seemed to go away, but then after another bleed seemed to come back once again

Any idea's chaps?

Also, to confirm, should you bleed in diagnals? so rear o/s front n/s rear n/s front o/s? or start from back and work way in to cylinder (this is what we did)

Lee said he would pop back over again and try his pressure bleeding kit (as I only have a crappy one way valve jobby) and see how we get on with that if we can get a better pedal out of her.

Once again thanks for your time tonight Lee, really appriciate ur help matey! and nice meeting you

Cheers

Adam
Old 22-03-2005, 08:17 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

YEAH WAS GREAT TO MEET A LOCAL FORD LOVER. Must say guys this car is fooking top notch.

We tried a number of things tonight. All started off with Bleeding of ABS.

All really as above Adam said however I did think it strange that the O/S/F & N/S/B was fine. This bled up 1st time.

The other split we must have done 3 or 4 times but every time we got air. Last time seemed ok but Will let Adam review.
Old 22-03-2005, 08:22 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Yes, sorry Lee, forgot to mention that also....
Old 22-03-2005, 11:39 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Old 23-03-2005, 08:39 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Anyone got any ideas on the above?
Old 23-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes bleed diagonally. The system is split diagonally so that if one side fails all the braking isnt on the other side causing you to do a 360 like a bobcat
Old 23-03-2005, 09:33 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Cheers Lee, that will be next to try then

also any ideas ?

*Question*.....

I didn't notice this before now but tonight whilst bleeding the brakes we noticed that there is a "hissing" coming from the servo area (hard to establish exactly where) its strange, Lee didn't have this on his rs and aint heard of it before, we not sure if that is normal or not, it happens when pressing down on the pedal, anyone know what this is? or is there a leak of some sort somewhere?
Old 23-03-2005, 10:38 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Heard this on a few, pop some fairy liquid around the front of the servo where the master cylinder bolts to it and see if you get bubbles when pressing the pedal. If it does it may need re sealing with silicone or something.

I am trying to arrange a trip down in the next 2 weeks or so
Old 24-03-2005, 05:20 AM
ste.w.
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I had a similar problem with my mates turbo when he fitted a rear disk conversion. The problem was with the steel brake pipes. He had replaced all the pipes on the car but the place where he had them made did a crap job. The ends of the pipes where not flaired correctly and had little cracks in them. The brekes would bleed up and felt fine till you either started the car or drove it/ left it for a while. Once the pipes were replaced with proper ones, they bled up first time without any problem. Hope this helps mate
Old 24-03-2005, 05:55 AM
pauldudley
PassionFord Regular

when i bleed brakes i put the car level ground on 4 axle stands all wheels off, then easy bleed n.r.v. pipe sorted
Old 24-03-2005, 08:49 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

So you have no rear load compensators Paul ?
Old 24-03-2005, 09:06 AM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Heard this on a few, pop some fairy liquid around the front of the servo where the master cylinder bolts to it and see if you get bubbles when pressing the pedal. If it does it may need re sealing with silicone or something.

I am trying to arrange a trip down in the next 2 weeks or so
Tony, cheers for that, will likely try that on sunday then

Let me know when your down this way again!

I had a similar problem with my mates turbo when he fitted a rear disk conversion. The problem was with the steel brake pipes. He had replaced all the pipes on the car but the place where he had them made did a crap job. The ends of the pipes where not flaired correctly and had little cracks in them. The brekes would bleed up and felt fine till you either started the car or drove it/ left it for a while. Once the pipes were replaced with proper ones, they bled up first time without any problem. Hope this helps mate
Interesting.... cheers for that mate.

when i bleed brakes i put the car level ground on 4 axle stands all wheels off, then easy bleed n.r.v. pipe sorted
Mate, no offence, but after seeing some of your recent posts i'm not gunna listen to that?! I have rear load compensators still fitted so the car needs to be under load.
Old 24-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

sorted?
Old 24-03-2005, 08:05 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Lee, having another look at them sunday hopefully. gotta arrange it with Lee
Old 24-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Old 14-04-2005, 01:19 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Right,

Lee came over again last night with his pressure bleed kit After a slight mishap to start with He got to work on the car. All in all, the pedal is much improved now.

I was saying to Lee, I think because I didnt drive the car as it was off the road and I was doing the underside for 7 odd months I drove the MK5 runner all the time (which has sharp brakes) and I think I had just forgot how shit mk4 rst brakes really are! Of course having shit front discs and not great pads doesn;t help

I'm happy with them now, stops just fine When I get paid next month going to get Gadget to rip my ABS out fully and properly and get him to fit my 300mm ST170 front setup, then lets see how she stops

All in all, a big thank you to Lee for offering to help out! and to everyone else who has gave me input.

CheeRS lads, thats what passionford is all about