General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

HPI mileage discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 16-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Question HPI mileage discrepancy

Has anyone had issues regarding the mileage check being incorrect on an HPI report?

I put a deposit down on an '07 plate Focus ST3 last night and did an HPI check on it once I got home and everything came back all clear apart from a discrepancy with the mileage.

On the report, the mileage on 16/1/2012 was showing as dead on 20000 miles but on 4/4/2013 the mileage shows dead on 50000. The mileage on the dash shows just over 24000.

Looking at the car there are no signs at all that it's done this mileage (hardly any stone chips, all the controls have no wear related marks etc) and I find it hard to believe that a car in that condition would have covered 30000 miles in just over a year.

The people selling the car don't strike me as the kind of folk to clock a motor either.

The sources of the information on the report were from the DVLA (20000) and the National Mileage Register (50000) so maybe thats where the issue lies.

I'm going to ask my mate tomorrow who runs an MOT centre just to see what the mileage was on it at the last MOT as it was done around this time last year.

I know admin errors can and do occur so I'm hoping that this is the case here as it really is a nice car.

Last edited by Gazzonator; 16-04-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 16-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

the latest mot cert, should have the last 4 tests milages on. mine has
Old 16-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Yeah I noticed that on my new MOT certificate I got for my ST170 yesterday.

Thing is I don't have access to the current MOT certificate for the ST3 so I can't look at it.

Tbh though, the car is very cheap as it has an engine fault but is a very, very nice car with most of the optional extras on it so I thought it was worth a punt! I'm not looking to repair it and sell it on to make a quick buck, I've always wanted an ST3 and even if I have to put another engine in it, it will still cost me a lot, lot less than if I went and bought one ready to go!!
Old 16-04-2013, 06:08 AM
B13 JUS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phone the NMR and they will tell you how the 50000 was entered. Anyone can add a descrepincy to a car by adding a wrong mileage when doing a Hpi.
If the service history and old mot's back up the 20000 and the the current milages you can get the 50000 removed by sending in copies of old mot's and service history.
If they were both dvla milages I would have said its been clocked but the 1 that says NMR looks like a Hpi done and someone has entered the wrong milage which you should be able to remove if you have old mots and service history.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:22 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Ask for the reference from the front of the logbook and check the MoT history on-line.

I recently bought a car that showed low mileage, yet it seemed to be more wear on the interior than I would have expected. There was no history but I was able to get the number off the logbook and check the MoT history on-line and sure enough the mileage was genuine.
Old 16-04-2013, 02:06 PM
3FRD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen this happen before when someone is doing an HPI and just enters a random mileage for whatever reason (they don't know the mileage). It's a pretty silly system as people could go about doing checks on anyones cars and messing up the NMR!
Old 16-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Smile

Originally Posted by B13 JUS
Phone the NMR and they will tell you how the 50000 was entered. Anyone can add a descrepincy to a car by adding a wrong mileage when doing a Hpi.
If the service history and old mot's back up the 20000 and the the current milages you can get the 50000 removed by sending in copies of old mot's and service history.
If they were both dvla milages I would have said its been clocked but the 1 that says NMR looks like a Hpi done and someone has entered the wrong milage which you should be able to remove if you have old mots and service history.
Spot on!!

I gave them a call and the girl on the phone said she'd look into it for me and give me a call back. Turns out that a car dealer had done a vehicle check but didn't know the mileage so just put in what they thought would be roughly right but they were wrong!!

The girl said that she'd confirmed with the dealers that that was the case the case which it was and she's now taken off the discrepancy marker! Happy days!!

Cheers for your answers folks!