General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Engine angle. How important?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
neilnewboy
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine angle. How important?

I'm installing a v6 24v lump in a cortina, however the engine tilts back maybe 6 degrees because I can't get the t5 gearbox any higher or drop the engine any lower without additional fabrication, is this something I should be concerned about? I have a 2 piece prop.

Many thanks in advance

Neil
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 AM
doga-ot
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes bud i could be wrong but im pretty sure it will put strain on gearbox and rear diff

Wes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As above therefore you have to spot on with the mounts - i.e. minimal flexing! and all in line to so not horizontal, but taking into account of the 6 degree tilt.

Another issue is oil..... you have to make damn sure that the pickup is still well under the oil level in the sump unless it is dry sumped! and check out weather your dip stick will read high or low too!

If you are putting in all of that work, it would be a shame to f*ck it up due to oil levels!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I was told as long as the prop enters the diff at the same angle it leaves the gearbox then a small amount of angle is fine. However, a 2-piece prop complicates that theory.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM
neilnewboy
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for replying guys! I'm currently fabricating my own gearbox x member so I will pissed at myself if I end up with a vibration I could have overted. 'Research twice, weld once' is this weeks mantra!

It's the 2 piece prop that is confuzzling this, can I treat the first half of the 2 piece prop with the same rules as the above single piece guide??

I could find out the original engine angle but I also added a larger gearbox so even if I got the same engine angle the position of the output shaft would be different I think!! And therefor the prop angle.... I went from a t9 to a t5

My brain is hurting on this so all advice welcomed...[/QUOTE]