General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fiesta rs turbo ofab to ofac

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2012, 09:10 PM
fordmadwill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta rs turbo ofab to ofac

Hi, anyone on here converted there rs turbo from ofab to ofac?
iv tryed it cos im having real problems with ofab i replace my map sensor due to bad idleing and running probs with aftermarket ones after 1 week the go wrong i have a ford one but it always idles to high its not the icv as its brand new from ford, just fed up of it all now.im only running standard boost 8psi.
Im trying ofac as the map sensor is a better set up im told?
many thanks will

Last edited by fordmadwill; 31-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 31-10-2012, 09:25 PM
grant_xr
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just get it to msd for a set up. money well spent

grant
Old 31-10-2012, 09:31 PM
fordmadwill

Originally Posted by grant_xr
just get it to msd for a set up. money well spent

grant
been there last month when it was still on fab, they got it running a hell of a lot better but even guy who i was dealing with admitted he couldnt sort it 100% thanks
Old 31-10-2012, 09:56 PM
frsjon
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

does sound strange.is the black/white fluid trap still inline between inlet and map sensor? unless theres a problem with your ecu i cant see a swap to ofac will make much difference.as for the high idle is its 100 % not your iscv then you have a air leak

Last edited by frsjon; 31-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 31-10-2012, 10:02 PM
fordmadwill

Originally Posted by frsjon
does sound strange.is the black/white fluid trap still inline between inlet and map sensor? unless theres a problem with your ecu i cant see a swap to ofac will make much difference.
hi mate thanks for reply, no filters fine i have a spare one, iv bought another ofab map sensor tonight to see what happens, all earths are good, just thought ofac would be better all the xr2i's iv had were ofac and they ran perfect!
iv replaced all sensors with ford new ones but the only brand new one i carnt get is the map sensor!only trouble is you buy a second hand one u dont know what its been on and what boost its been up to, would they get damaged under heavy boost?many thanks will
Old 31-10-2012, 10:10 PM
frsjon

if you did go down the ofac route dont use a map sensor from a 2i as it wont recognize boost. the only thing i know that kills map sensors is moisture damage. did msd give you any advise on what could be wrong with the car? a reprogramme to run a 2.5/3 bar sensor would tell you if this is the problem area..
Old 31-10-2012, 10:16 PM
fordmadwill

Originally Posted by frsjon
if you did go down the ofac route dont use a map sensor from a 2i as it wont recognize boost. the only thing i know that kills map sensors is moisture damage. did msd give you any advise on what could be wrong with the car? a reprogramme to run a 2.5/3 bar sensor would tell you if this is the problem area..
hi, all msd said it would benefit froma live map?
i bought the loom ofac as a kit, ecu, map sensor.(i know its th right map as i have a xr2i one and there differnt).
iv plugged the ofac loom in and all that happens now is it wont even start it turns over to a point but struggles like the timings milesout and theres a little backfire, as soon as i unplug the crank sensor it turns over perfect but wont start.many thanks will
Old 31-10-2012, 10:29 PM
frsjon

get a post up on fiestaturbo.com as many people have converted from ofac to ofab so any other changes that might be needed will be known
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The map sensors have different resistance curves between ofab and ofac this can cause probs, you need to let the car idle for at least 5 mins for emu to learn ur engine. Msd r very good stu did my car and runs well. It will take some time to diagnose though, as the emu has about half a dozen inputs, all will need checking, then the outputs will need checking too!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Rogeyboy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres afew wiring differences between the 2, also XR2i's ran on 1AFA not OFAC or OFAB.
The OFAC is the newer of the 2 turbo systems, but alot of people dont like it. You can adjust the idle manually also, with a small screw on the TB.
Have you check and cleaned all the breathers?
I would also clean the inlet manifold and TB with a carb/inlet cleaner.
Then put new plugs in and check the gaps, as they are very fussy about plug gaps ive found.
It would also be worth getting the injectors cleaned.
Then you have a decent base to work from and start running tests.