General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Second Hand car sales, problems after sale

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2012, 12:10 PM
JayKay
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Hand car sales, problems after sale

Hi folks,

Just a quick one if anybody is in the know.

Basically other half bought a convertible about 4 weeks ago, paid £3000. The garage we bought it from, the guy had been using it and then decided to get it fully resprayed prior to selling it (Its a StreetKa and was blue, it got re-sprayed white, apparently it didn't shift when it was blue).

With all the rain we've had this week, its been pissing water through where the wing mirror attaches on the passenger door. When she rang me I didn't think much of it (I work away) I've gone to the car today and it stinks, its soaking (apparently passenger footwell was about 2 inches deep in water).

I have some vague recollection that if a car develops a fault within 90 days there may be some protection, does anybody have an idea where we stand in this case?

My gut feeling would be to take it back to the place we bought it from and dump the fucker on their forecourt until its sorted (after all they paid for the respray and I'm guessing it due to an assembly fault when the car was put back together), but anybody more clued up?

Cheers,

John.

Last edited by JayKay; 29-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Give citizens advice a call

What kind of receipt did you get, and was there any warranty supplied?
Old 29-09-2012, 12:14 PM
JayKay

Unfortunately mate I wasn't there when the deal was done (which is a fucker when it was my card that was used to put the deposit down when it was first viewed )

I don't think she opted for any extra warranties though.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:27 PM
cozy777
PassionFord Regular

have you called them or gone to see them??? as you need to let them have the chance to fix it , if they wont then yes you have your rights and includes fit for use etc
Old 29-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Depends on the receipt. If it's supplied by a proper business, then yes you have rights. If it's supplied by a private individual, then you don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:11 PM
JayKay

Yeah it was bought through a dealer mate.

As for speaking to them ive been three times and the bloke I need to speak to is 'out' (convenient) so I've sent a letter.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:21 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youve done the right thing by writing to them. you must give them reasonable oppertunity to rectify the faults. then you can go down the not fit for purpose route and recieve a full refund.
make a list of faults the seller may decide to refund you to get rid of you.
colour change would ring alarm bells with me.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:23 PM
trev1964

Well known for leaks these mate.
My wife has one.
To be honest, I would have a look myself and see if its something obvious that you can sort yourself.
It should be down to the dealer but if you end up arguing the toss while all the white it's raining in, it's gonna end up minging.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:40 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you paid by credit card then they are also responsible do write to them and tell them your intentions you'll end up getting a chargeback
Old 30-09-2012, 08:55 AM
JayKay

Originally Posted by trev1964
Well known for leaks these mate.
My wife has one.
To be honest, I would have a look myself and see if its something obvious that you can sort yourself.
It should be down to the dealer but if you end up arguing the toss while all the white it's raining in, it's gonna end up minging.
I've had a look mate and its coming through from the passenger side wing mirror, it doesn't sit totally flush so its a dodgy rubber or missing screw or something. Its not the point though, easily sorted but in 4 weeks we've had a ABS issues, the fogs weren't wired back in when the car was re-assembled and the rear tyres were suspect (to say it had a full MOT). There's only so many times I can be arsed buggering about with it (and putting up with the whinging)

This is why I should have looked at the bloody thing properly as opposed to looking at the advert and saying 'yeah fine but check it carefully'