General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

external wastegate help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external wastegate help?

Right all I've gone external wastegate on the focus (tial 44mm) my question is how do i pipe it up? Its got 2 vacuum takeoffs on the wastegate. The turbo is brand new and doesn't have any takeoffs on the compressor housing.

Im on autronic management with 3 port boost controller, which previously only 1 port was being used. Just wondering which way i need to do the the pipe work now?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tap the compressor housing for takeoff point or alternatively you could do so from any point upstream of the turbo. (e.g. intercooler end tank or boost pipe etc)

When looking at the tial wastegate capsule, the lower fittings (i.e. thoses nearest the actual valve body) are the ones can cause the wastegate to open when pressure is applied. If you have removed a turbo with a actuator and internal wastegate, using the lower fittings on the external gate will allow the wastegate to work in exactly the same manner as your old turbo did.

The fittings on the very top of the external wastegate capsule allow you to apply pressure to the wastegate thus increasing boost above the wastegate spring pressure. You won't need to use this function as your boost controller will control the feed pressure to regulate boost.

I can't comment on your boost controller as I do not know the port functions. If for example you were using a bleed valve it would go :

compressor to bleed valve in, bleed valve out to lower side of exteral wastgate capsule. Bleed valve bleed to atmosphere.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

there you go

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf

cheers paul
Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
Right all I've gone external wastegate on the focus (tial 44mm) my question is how do i pipe it up? Its got 2 vacuum takeoffs on the wastegate. The turbo is brand new and doesn't have any takeoffs on the compressor housing.

Im on autronic management with 3 port boost controller, which previously only 1 port was being used. Just wondering which way i need to do the the pipe work now?
Pressure sorce with t piece to port 1 and underside of waste gate and other side of the valve to top of wastegate, Middle port open then its a remap of boost curve.

Mark
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont...owergate60.pdf