General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just been quoted £93 for Walker Steel Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Martsford
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just been quoted £93 for Walker Steel Exhaust

Hi guys as many have seen previous posts about my exhaust roaring issue, I've just spoke to a motor factors to price up a new centre silencer and rear back box, and been quoted £93 for both. Reasonable price??

But I'm unsure as whether to replace both or just try and work out where the roaring is coming from. It sounds like it is from the rear but as many of you know the centre silencer is forward of the rear axle with the back box sitting to the rear of the axle. I'm thinking my best bet will be the centre silencer as when I shake or knock it there is a rattle, sounds as if there is a couple of stones in there. Is it possible for a stone to make it's way through the exhaust and get into the centre silencer?? or is that strong indication that my problem is within the centre silencer.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

What car?

The stuff ratling in the centre box could be the internal baffles or bits of the catalysts core.

Take the car to a local tyre exhaust place, they will have a look and let you know whats needed.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Martsford

The roar comes from the rear of the car, I'm no expert but if it was the cat wouldn't it rattle when you tap it and the roar come from the front?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Baffles breaking up in silencer I would say. Wouldn't expect any pattern exhaust to last too long. What car's it for?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Martsford

It's a ford focus, just finished putting a walker middle pipe and back box on, went on like a dream, and looks so much better already, will let you guys know how it goes.