General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying a cheap helmet suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharp tests*

Agreed, I'd want a safety devices cage compared to a show cage, but why pay for safety devices (for example) IF there was another type equally as good, for less money?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

one more thing:

if you bash your bash hat do you need to buy a new one?

do they have shelf lives? as in do they get old like tyres and are then crap at taking a punt?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Weeksy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A reputable brand will have more stringent stds to be abided by, and this therefore hikes the price.

Dojj, Most of would use Roll centre, Safety devices and the like, but if a brand was doing the same thing for quarter of the price, and wasn't really a brand you'd recognise, would you not think how?

Yes fella, They are a one hit wonder. One whallop, and they can suffer cracking and internal damage that although not always visible, could render it useless in the event of another impact.

Some say 5 years as the fibreglass shell starts to break down, but I couldnt comment on this. As you said, that could well be from the same thought process as tyres must be replaced after x amount of years... I dont know!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Weeksy
A reputable brand will have more stringent stds to be abided by, and this therefore hikes the price.
that's not true at all. they all have to conform to the same standards to be on sale. some companies may have additional tests above and beyond legal requirements though, but price does not necessarily reflect that.

with an expensive helmet, e.g. arai, shoei or my choice of schuberth, you are quite often paying for the brand and marketing, motorsport sponsorship etc. doesn't mean that they are a better helmet than a cheaper one.

the best helmet is one that fits properly
Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Weeksy

When I mentioned standards I mean their own internal ones, not the minimum Market standards applied to all.

I would personally spend my money on safety products that are chosen by riders and racers as suitable and fit for purpose.

Some of the cheaper lids may be ok, but when they are so cheap, would you not question why? Or is that me just being cynical?

I bought an OMP cage once, and sent it back. The quality was awful, but that was fia approved?! Same standard as a safety devices or roll centre one?! Not even close to it. At least I could see the difference. All lids look the same apart from some shape and graphics differences, but they arent - we just can't see it.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When I started track days I went to the local bike shop and got a helmet for Ł65 quid. 5 years later its fine.

Would I trust it on a bike NO CHANCE - in a car with a cage and protection on the cage yeh a bit - must remember to get protection for the cage or if you smack your helmet into it in a crash the helmet will be pointless anyways.

Last year I got myself an Arai helmet for Ł280........ the difference in quality in my opinion is like night and day.

As for ' I don't intend to crash ' if you've not got a lid I am assuming you haven't done a track day and you're going straight in with a cossie..... driving on track is totally different and pretty hard core.

Good luck and enjoy it though.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Luca
Lukesville

I imagine mostly the prices of the expensive helmets are due to the materials they are made of.

Carbon fibre, fire proof linings, hans device, intricate paint and aerodynamic to name a few.

Cheap helmets will still be as safe but they just won't be as plush, a little heavier and a fairly plain design.

I have two of the V2 helmets, very very good helmets and as they only sell direct you cut out the retailer so the prices are amazing!

A lot of entry level motorsport racers use these.

www.v2sport.com
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

usually a more expensive lid will fit better, be more comfortable and lighter as its made of better quality materials.

with regards to bike lids, take the visor for example. my Ł60 takachi if i checked my blind spot at 80+ mph and i didnt have my head tucked under the screen the visor would fly open... not good in the pissing rain or for having your eyeballs blown out the sockets.

my old Ł250 shoei was fin at over 120 not tucked in and looking around.

so there is a difference, and of course you get what you pay for. but so long as its bsi kite marked it should perform reasonably well in the even of a crash.

there are of course other things you can do to make things safer like fit PROPPER roll cage padding on the exposed parts your/your passengers head could come into contact with

and if you dont have bucket seats then you might find your head touches the cage or roof with a lid on
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rog
I just got this one, good brand, plenty of other similar priced made in china shite out there, so it's a good compromise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SC607-OMP-...item4ab8736f63
Is a open helmet better than the closed ones then?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

great advice gents! My cage is a safety devices 6 point and i'l look into getting padding for the cage too.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Open face allows you to talk to passengers and not get so warm while flying around track in my experience.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Open face allows you to talk to passengers and not get so warm while flying around track in my experience.

Cheers,
Grant
Grant i thought u had to have a full helmet for most track days?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Weeksy
As said above the 500 quid lid doesnt have materials present that justify it's extra cost, but then does a tubular manifold or a cam profile have it's value derived from material only? It's the development that goes into it - it's design and safety features (ie in situ removeable cheek pads etc etc. You pay your dough, you make your choice!
Well put
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lukeytheduke
Grant i thought u had to have a full helmet for most track days?
I've cut around Knockhill with an open face helmet on before... not sure what the rules and regs for English tracks are though to be fair.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

This is the one I bought to do Hill Climbing in as they have to be Snell rated.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorsport...item3a75653103
I had a cheap Ł40 bike helmet before just to do 1/4 miles in but the quailty of the Snell one is so much better and alot lighter too.
Rich
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lukeytheduke
Is a open helmet better than the closed ones then?

Well it depends, I prefer an open face helmet, obviously if I was on a bike it would be different. Purely IMO but open face is much more forgiving in a car, more ventillation, better comms and is more than adequate. Don't know about the regs you mentioned, news to me, could well be the case but the only reason I would see for doing that is that they are just being overkill to CTA, but TBH if they are going down that route then they should inspect EVERYONE'S helmet for specific criteria and certification, and they don't so I'd be surprised if there is a rule against open face.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Open face are fine in most cars, some tracks stipulate full face for some open cockpit cars usually without windscreens-Atoms etc.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

I've got an OMP star open faced hemet. Pretty cheap but I'm still alive so it must be doing its job

Not sure how tracks decide, but Knockhill are pretty easy going. I've seen a guy in a 205 with a mountain bike helmet on once
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Weeksy

I would say open face in a car for sure
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it must be so much more comfortable having an open face one
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
ar4ibaldo
Part of the Furniture

These are worth checking out - http://www.v2sport.com/
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
mark r
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check this site out helmets from 30 notes to 1200 notes

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/clearance-helmets
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers lads i'l check them out