General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

101 in a 60...... :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamieslittleracer
im sorry, but thats my opinion. i say be a man and face up to the concequences.

I read that as "be a muppet and pay an extra tax just for driving your car safely"

I dont agree with the speed limits, so i dont want to be prosecuted on the basis of them as i dont believe i am doing anything wrong when i safely exceed them.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Jamieslittleracer, if they created a law you didnt agree with, like no one was allowed to masturbate, would hand yourself in every time you played with yourself?

Laws should be to improve the lives of the public, not to hinder them.

Dangerous driving is a problem, safe speed isnt.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Jamieslittleracer, if they created a law you didnt agree with, like no one was allowed to masturbate, would hand yourself in every time you played with yourself?

i'm off to the cop station then
Old 02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Katie... But I agree to a certain extent of what you have said, it IS speeding, and it IS too much for a 60 limit. However, IMO, it isnt excessive if I am overtaking as I am cutting the risk of being hit by oncoming traffic by getting out of the right hand lane as quickly as possible. By cutting down this risk, I am also cutting down the risk to the other drivers because if I was to hit a car head on, then they would inevitably be involved in the pile-up behind me.

I agree that thumping down a 60 limit road at over a ton is stupid and dangerous, however, due to my car having decent accelaration the speed mounted up. My natural reaction is to keep the foot down until I am past the car(s) I am overtaking, instead of lifting off when I reach 60mph. I used my judgement, my car is in perfect order, has just passed an MOT and had 4 new tyres fitted, the road was dry and visibility was absolutely perfect, not to mention it was on a straight bit of road approx 1.5miles long.

I havent got a problem taking a penalty of some sort, however, having just found a job I really want to do after 6 months of spending savings to survive and pay bills etc... I would rather keep my licence, hence keeping this new job, and giving me the break I need after 2 years of shitty jobs/un-employment.

Grant
Old 02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry, but thats my opinion. i say be a man and face up to the concequences.

I read that as "be a muppet and pay an extra tax just for driving your car safely"

I dont agree with the speed limits, so i dont want to be prosecuted on the basis of them as i dont believe i am doing anything wrong when i safely exceed them.
I agree 100%. It fucks me off more than I can say, when they try and twist it that speeding causes ALL accidents. The governments OWN research carried out by the TRL proved that out of all the accidents they assessed only 7% could be attributed in some way to excessive speed . However, because it is EASY to police a speed limit (rather than improve driving standards), they have jumped on this pathetic band-wagon.

Given that in the TRL's OWN research that 93% of accidents are not speed related, could you please tell me what they are doing to improve this rate? I'll tell you -UCK ALL, because that involves spending money to improve accident black-spots and / or driver training schemes, instead of being able to collect a supplimentary tax like they do for the speeding issues (that the bleeding heart liberals can also get their teeth into ).

I'll climb down off my soap box before I sucumb to the need to emigrate .
Old 02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

If thats what your soapbox does, please stay on it and invite IMA up to keep you company
Old 02-03-2005, 03:08 PM
jamieslittleracer
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i appreciate what you guys are saying.. but i just dont think you can justify going 40mph over a speed limit... yes the law can be frustrating at times, and i dont agree with some speed limits.... but to go that far over is just not necessary.

i totally agree with the dangerous driving kills not safe speeding... but you cannot guarentee safety if you are driving that fast. 100mph IS fast. you guys spend so much time driving fast you think youre safe, but no matter how good a driver you are how well you know your car and how new your tires are, mistakes can happen, as i said, a mechanical fault or a blow out... or anything... outside of your control...

anyway... i dont want to drag this out into a debate, i just think that trying to find excuses for 40mph over a speed limit is the wrong attitude.

i acept you have a job, but as said then your employer can plead your case, but you still deserve 6 points or more.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

If thats what your soapbox does, please stay on it and invite IMA up to keep you company
Charming .
Old 02-03-2005, 03:19 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Both valid points made here by jamieslittleracer and mike r, i think that personally in rs grants case he should accept his punishment, he was exceeding the speed limit by 41mph and overtaking 2 trucks a car and a van in one go.

If he had said lads got done at 71mph in a 60mph then fair enough as its easy to exceed the limit by 10 or 15mph, but 41mph come on!! I just reckon that if you sit at those speeds then you run the risk of getting caught and should not cry over the spilt milk when you do so.

I dont believe that speeding is the cause of all accidents, but like drink driving it gets blamed for all them. How many of you would have said to this fellow, try this and that to get off if he had said lads got caught there with 49mg of alcohol on my breath? But I mean he was only a wee bit over the limit, maybe the bar girl didnt make that last shandy 50/50. Exactly not many of ya.

Chip should your friend return to the uk and get stopped for a random security check he can be arrested if they have put a warrant on him or want to question him as he was in there view the one committing the offence. I witnessed a case of this just b4 xmas in a courtroom, not for speeding but driving whilst excluded from driving.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I kind of see where Jamie's little racer is coming from here..........

Unfortunately, whether or not you agree with the law, doesn't entitle you to break it.

I like the people who are the first to say "I speed because I choose to", but are never there when there's any kind of lobbying to improve safety/change limits etc.........

By the way, I speed, because I choose to
Old 02-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Anonymous
Banned

I speed because the law interprets a safe speed by a competent driver in a well maintained car as "speeding".

Thats the ONLY reason that i speed.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:24 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.

The road was an open stretch in the country, no houses, schools etc... and I was accelerating cause I was overtaking,
Wheres the harm in that? we've all done it. M25 after the Pf meet is a usually speed fest, again tho its deserted.

Its a 50/50 chance you take, its only luck if you get away with it.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I speed because the law interprets a safe speed by a competent driver in a well maintained car as "speeding".

Thats the ONLY reason that i speed.
Who's to say you're competent?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:27 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Billy, heres your answer

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106017

while that wont happen on every occassion it does happen, sounds and looks like the above mentioned road. ie no houses, crossings etc..
Old 02-03-2005, 03:39 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike if you are emigrating, dont suppose I could get your name address and driver number before you go?!!

Tony, I have seen the Thread started by Sean Forsyth and while its extremely sad and a terrible waste of a young life......... Its nothing compared to the road I was on, possibly missed the part where I said it was a very open, well maintained A-Class country road on a dry straight which is approx 1.5miles long. That part of road in the pictures looks to be slightly damp, on a sweeping up-hill left hand bend with double white lines in the centre.

I wish I had the technical knowledge to post pics of it, to show exactly how remote the place is!!

Grant
Old 02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
kay2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

lets not forget that speed linits were only introduced to preserve fuel stocks during a shortage and it had nothing to do with safety innitially!!

and katey there is a road by me that is straight far as the eye can see for bloody miles in the middle of nowhere thats a 60, you can easily do 140 down it safely, should an animal run out in front of me then the only person that is going to suffer is me should i crash.... and the sheep!!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.

Originally Posted by tonyk
Billy, heres your answer

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106017

while that wont happen on every occassion it does happen, sounds and looks like the above mentioned road. ie no houses, crossings etc..
Like i said its a 50/50 chance.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats what i mean, that guy/girl probably thought there day wouldnt pan our as it did.

RS Grant, the point i was making was in general, I honestly dont see what your problem is? You got caught for breaking the speed limit, yeah it may be able to easily take 180mph on there but it dont change the fact the limit is 60mph!!

So your saying that you should get off because you will now lose your new job and even though the road was long dry and perfectly straight, not cause you where 41mph over the limit? Im sure excitement has got the better of you as it does everyone but we all know the rules and its up to us if we abide by them or not.

Like somebody else said, was it necessary to pass all 4 vechiles at over 100mph, your speedo would obviously of been showing higher. Everybody knows 100mph is instant ban. Its the chance you take and if you get caught anbody who is honest holds there hand up. I agree 100% that minor offences like 5, 10mph can happen easily.

Any be carefull with what you choose as you dont want to be done for obstruction of justice or perverting the course of justice. That turns a simple speeding conviction into a proper criminal record.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Anonymous
Banned

failing to remember something isnt perverting the cause of justice, its just having a bad memory.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

All depends on how it is viewed by the judge on the day, clearly the European human rights act states that you have the right to say nothing and stop yourself being forced into admiting guilt or incriminating yourself, however it isnt the case in reality.

Im just telling the bloke be careful as will his solicitor. Just seen a lot of bad legal advice handed out on the net and it causes some people big time.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Anonymous
Banned

The judge cant form an opinion without evidence, and if he says "i cant remember" there isnt going to be any evidence to the contrary, so i dont see how the judge can do anything other than give him points/fine for failure to name the driver, the max for which is still better than getting done for 101 in a 60 limit.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But you cant say that, scottish law is different from English law and there is quite a few difference in there statuettes. The judge and prosecutors will look at available evidence, based on the photograph and time & date of incident and all correspondence with the parties involved.

I take it you named the guy leaving the country and provided his old address that was you co-operating, the only defence in this case is, I dont know who was driving. I cant provide you with details of driver. The records of ownership will show the cars changing hands on xyz dates, change of insurance details.

So as I said needs to be though out very carefully, cause if he gets caught out lying.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:20 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry,bollox jamieslittleracer, utter bollox , I break the speed limit EVERY time I drive, no question, but I am safe in doing so, its the tossers who speed in the WRONG places that cause problems, ie, fog, busy roads,, outside schools etc etc, what harm does 120mph on an empty motorway do?? I had a blinding argument with a copper who pulled me over for doing 40 in a 30 at 3am, the road runs past a school, and he was saying that it was dangerous to exceed the 30mph limit, I replied, well, is it safe to do 30 at 4pm when all the kids are leaving and there are parked cars everywhere, dozy mums pulling out and fooking numpty kids running roit?? he actually agreed, and let me off !!
speed is NOT the problem, bad driving and poor skills are a huuuuge problem compared to safe speed
if the police concentrated more on tailgating/poor concentratrion and downright bad drivers, the roads would be a far far safer place

and as for that comment jamieslittleracer,
i acept you have a job, but as said then your employer can plead your case, but you still deserve 6 points or more
thats not a very good attitude is it??? no disrespect here, but when you crashed your car, you should have got 6 points for careless driving if thats the yardstick you going to use
Old 02-03-2005, 05:27 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

oh and I'm not being nasty, just drawing a comparison ,not having a go
if people got taught how to drive PROPERLY in the first place, rarther than being shown how to reverse round a corner , we wouldn't even need speed limits as people would be able to recognise what a safe speed to drive at is.
and the golden rules of driving fast are
1) NEVER endanger anyone except yourself
2)ALWAYS have some reserve braking/grip
3) never push 10/10'ths on the road, ever
4) if you feel scared, you ARE NOT in control or safe
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 PM
jamieslittleracer

Originally Posted by rwd_cossie_wil
fair comment... tho i was going at about 20mph when i crashed and that was cos i skidded... but if the law said that as a result cos effectively i endangered otehrs then i would have accepted that...
however... i will never believe 140mph is safe and if you think that then im sorry but you are irresponsible.

and to say you speed every time you drive is nothing to be proud of.... you guys arent perfect drivers... we all drive badly at times, youre not flawless, maybe if you ahve a bad crash you will think again about speeding.

and do not disregard my opinion that speeding is bollocks as that is the most ridiculous comment i have ever heard.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:23 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

i think you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing . as has already been said either accept the penalty or deny all knowledge , its gna cost you one way or another

i was clocked by a traffic copper with a rader gun at 147.2 mph and got away with it , tbh i deserved a ban and a hooge fine but luckily the copper was a cosworth enthusiast and let me off .
anybody on here that says they dont ever break the speed limit is a lying cock smoker imho
Old 02-03-2005, 06:26 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Tonyk - he didn't sit at that speed, he just wanted to pass the cars quickly to avoid possibly causing an accident with an oncoming car (if there was one coming)

He said he slowed back down to about 70 - which in my opinion is not a problem as it's hardly speeding. He never maintained 101MPH so you can't say that he is stupid for driving at them speeds as it was only momentarily.

Not really got any advice/ideas mate but i hope you manage to come away with as little penalty as possible.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:38 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

I recently got off a 38 in a 30 by the "test drive" excuse.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

who said I was proud of it?? I don't like bullshit, and I If I denied it I would be a hypocrite, and I think 99% of people break at least one speed limit every tiime they drive as well
And I wasn't saying bollox to your opinion, everyones counts if we agree or not soz if it came across like that I was saying bollox to you saying speed is dangerous , I just get sick of all the tossers in the "safty camera" partnership constantly using speed as an excuse for accidents, its absolute bollox , the survey carried out by the detp of transport into accidents sited "excessive speed" as only 7% of the TOTAL cause of accidents, with "failure to judge other vehicles speed and path" and "innatentiveness and carelessness", and fatuige making up a massive amount, I think it was somewhere in the region of 65%
mechanical faliure was 4% which is still quite a high percentage for somthing like that
belive me, 140mph on a good bit of road in a competent car with a good driver is far far far safer than being in the car with someone driving at the speed limits but no idea how to drive safley and observantly

I like this line
youre not flawless, maybe if you ahve a bad crash you will think again about speeding
very true, and if anyone thinks they are infallable, its a very dangourous thing

And I know from your past posts you have suffered a great loss due to an accident, my heartfelt sympathys go out to you they really do , but if we want to make the roads safer we got to concentrate on the REAL issues, and not hide behind some speeding bollox that the government uses to tax us
Old 02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
the strut brace
PassionFord Post Troll

just to add, the way the law looks at it is you are not allowed to speed at any time without being collared for it, they view it as if you needed to speed to overtake then you should not have pulled out to overtake as it was dangerous to do so as you had to travel excessivly fast to complete your manouver, its shit but that IS the way they view it youve been unlucky mate, we have all done it so no one can preach unless youve never done it imo
Old 02-03-2005, 06:55 PM
jamieslittleracer

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
if we want to make the roads safer we got to concentrate on the REAL issues, and not hide behind some speeding bollox that the government uses to tax us
i know what ur saying... i jsut feeel we get so caught up on getting on our high horse about our rights, we have responsibilities too. im not saying we should lay down and accept everything, and i do think that some speed limits are wrong, but speed limits are crucial, as they are there primerily for our safety.

i accept that he says he was driving safely... fair enough, but not everyone could at 100mph and you cant take each case individually. you cant really justify 100.... ever... he said he was overtaking 'safely' well... fair enough but if its such a slow open road straight road then to do it at 100 is not really necessary.

i just dont like the way people feel they are hard done by if they do get a ban or fines, and they look for a way to get out of it or get off it, and then go on about how surely the police cant be right..

sometimes we just need to accept we are in the wrong, the speed limit will never be safe at 100 so if you take the risk of going over 100 one of the terms you do this under is you are prepared for the concequences...

if you cant afford to lose your license then dont do something that potentially will cause you too..

as they say.... if you cant do the time... dont do the crime

katie xx
Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

lol why does eveyone treat 100 as the "magic" number??? most fatal accidents and high injury accidents happen below 60MPH I doo approx 2000 miles a month, and some of the driving I see is fux*ing appaling, people tailgating on the motorway, inches from peoples bumpers, people not indicating , ever , people pulling out across fast moving traffic with blinkers on
I am nowhere near perfect, if I was halfway there I would be happy, but just doing simple stuff like using mirrors/indicators etc and just actually concentrating on driving is a good start for most people , I saw an old fooker in a merc a few weeks ago reading the times on his steering wheel on the m5 at 5pm on a friday
Old 02-03-2005, 07:18 PM
jamieslittleracer

i said 100 cos thats what rs grant was doing, 101mph in a 60
Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

soz to hear that
Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Sam@SCC
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Feel for ya mate...

i'm only allowed 6 for the first 2 yrs..
Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

I got to the end of this thread and now I can't remember who was driving....

Anyway, its been mentioned above but if you want to avoid messing up because you followed some of the urban legend advice posted on this thread so far, and avoid going to prison because you committed purjury, your choices are as follows:

1. Plead guilty and take your punishment on the chin,

2. Put your hand in your pocket and go and see a fancy solicitor who will tell you to plead guilty and beg for your license; or

3. Join Pepipoo, put your details up and get some good free advice.

I did
Old 03-03-2005, 03:56 AM
Lee1972
Formerly COSSIE_LEE

or you could pay a poor student tosser to say he was driving

some students will do anything for money
Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

I havent seen anywhere on this thread the speed the vehicles you were overtaking were doing approximately? Were they doing the speed limit for you to go that speed or were they crawling at 40mph as trucks can do at times?

I am unbiased on the arguement and have done many stupid things with speeding myself but lucky enough not to be caught.

I am of the school that if the conditions and vehicle allow, then why not. However people that sit on your arse going past a school at 30mph but then only do 50 in a 60 really, really annoy me. Police the residential areas heavilly and de restrict national limits where the roads are contained like the autobahns.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Ratty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i said 100 cos thats what rs grant was doing, 101mph in a 60
And???

When the limits were set a car took over twice as long to stop as they do today, so if it safe for a drum braked morris minor to do 60, then why is it unsafe for a modern performance car to do 100

Also if speed was the only factor (as our goverment would have us believe) they how come the German Autobahn's are not complete death and destruction and before we get the, they have better roads etc - they dont, I lived there and our motorways as good, some of the unrestricted Autobahn are even only 2 lanes

We need to contrate on the real causes of accidents and not some abritrary number that has very little to the causes of road deaths

Quick Reply: 101 in a 60...... :(