General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
tonysierra4x4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion

hi all, has anyone completed a 3 door restoration by converting to 4 wheel drive. i have an excellent 3 door shell, all (99%) genuine cosworth parts including interior, all body kit and bumpers, wheels etc and have purchased a very good example xr4x4 2.9i complete for the running gear and wiring loom etc. will the gearbox tunnel etc need to be modified a lot or xr4x4 welded in to accomodate gearbox. the plan is to use this till i can afford to replace with cosworth engine to couple to mt75. is this to ambitous or should i be looking for 2 wheel drive set up. any help / advice will be most welcome as this is my first complete bare shell project so have probably not thought out future problems.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
cozzy jeff
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

im sure the tunnel needs modded along with the n/s chassis leg.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
saph cos rob
swindon rsoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think the 2wd / 4wd shells are the same, only as said the front chassis legs have a notch cut into them for the swing of the driveshafts, think your need a different gearbox mount tho?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by cozzy jeff
im sure the tunnel needs modded along with the n/s chassis leg.
thanks cozzy jeff. i will check on weekend as both are side by side in workshop. haven't stripped carpet out of 4x4 to look but will do.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Would be a good way too ruin a 3dr 2wd is much better!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
robrs2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Drivers side of the tunnel needs to be wider for the transfer box. And the gear box mounting on the shell needs to be added on the drivers side.
Look on www.fordpower.org.uk look for Taps xr4i
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by saph cos rob
think the 2wd / 4wd shells are the same, only as said the front chassis legs have a notch cut into them for the swing of the driveshafts, think your need a different gearbox mount tho?
thanks saph cos rob. was told a half moon shape needed to be cut out to take drive shafts but hope not too much needed on gearbox tunnel as carpet may need altering to fit properly so fingers crossed. i was hoping to use gearbox mount from xr even if i need to weld in retaining nuts etc. i have purchased an xr4i aswell for extra parts i may need so will also check this mounting.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it a 3dr cosworth or base shell.

If its a cos shell then if you use the alloy gearbox crossmember from a type 9 mk1 sierra 4x4 the mt75 will line up nicely in the tunnel, all you need to do is fettle the tunnel wall where your left foot usually sits so that the casing of the transfer chain doesnt catch on the body, either chop out a small section or a few choice clouts with a sledge will do it.

Not everyone cuts out the notches in the front chassis legs I have heard a few now where they didnt bother, if your running lowered suspension they you may have to.

If its a base shell then the tunnel is narrower and the crossmember mounts differently so more fab work will be required.

Last edited by PAUL S; 05-06-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by PAUL S
Is it a 3dr cosworth or base shell.

If its a cos shell then if you use the alloy gearbox crossmember from a type 9 mk1 sierra 4x4 the mt75 will line up nicely in the tunnel, all you need to do is fettle the tunnel wall where your left foot usually sits so that the casing of the transfer chain doesnt catch on the body, either chop out a small section or a few choice clouts with a sledge will do it.

Not everyone cuts out the notches in the front chassis legs I have heard a few now where they didnt bother, if your running lowered suspension they you may have to.

If its a base shell then the tunnel is narrower and the crossmember mounts differently so more fab work will be required.
thanks paul s, it is a 1.6 base shell so sounds like some modifacations will be necessary. i don't want to alter the car too much as is it such a good shell. it was the 13th (imaculate ?) shell i looked at. if too much modification is needed it will be left as a 2 wheel drive, just need to decide what engine/gearbox.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Porkie had quite a good one of these once

Went fairly well in the end by all accounts
Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I converted mine initially by putting a bulge in the tunnel for the transfer box

The steel crossmember from the 2.9 XR4x4 is way too big for the tunnel, and the earlier alloy gearbox crossmember doesn't fit into the tunnel either but I was told it would work attached to the floor.

(Can't find a pic with the alloy one in place but this shows the width required.) However, although the car moved and drove with it attached to the floor, I couldn't get the back of the box to lift quite high enough so the the prop and gearbox didn't align properly and the donut was short-lived.

Redid the job properly by replacing the tunnel, unpicking the seams at the bulkhead and centre crossmember.

So far, everything is working properly mechanically and the 4x4 carpet fits better on the wide tunnel.

I didn't notch the chassis legs or even bend the flanges up, and don't seem to have any fouling with a -25mm drop.

Last edited by Iain Mac; 06-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
tonysierra4x4

thanks for that info. should be a great help and very much appreciated. i will check size/shape of both tunnels and see what the difference is. luckily i have the two cars side by side in workshop so should be quite easy to do.
cheers tony