General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

it is only my impression or the mk3 focus is not as goog as mk1?

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2012, 08:08 AM
ermir
FOCUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it is only my impression or the mk3 focus is not as goog as mk1?

I own two focus mk1 and mk3 but to mee it looks like the mk1 is much better built. It has 11 years now and it is still going strong. This mk3 is clicking more than the mk1. Any idea?
Old 21-05-2012, 12:23 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

The MK1 is certainly a good car, I really think the people worked really hard to make it the success it was/is, the price they go for now is shameful for what is a quality car!

Not had any experience of the MK2/MK3, I didn't like the look of the MK2 but I don't think the MK3 is that bad, to look at anyway!

Martin
Old 21-05-2012, 01:39 PM
ermir
FOCUS

Thanks Martin. I bought this mk3 with the hope that t was as the same quality. I bought the same modeal of the mk1 1.6 petrol ghia. It is very beautiful indeed but the old one is muc stronger. the amortization, the plastics etc. Old school is every where better, even in car construction.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:34 PM
E980VTJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

depends how old school lol but mk1 prices are like the weekly shopping bill,mate had a 2.0 3dr one which was quite nippy
Old 22-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Mister G
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see where you are coming from bud, somehow the mk1 (mk 1.5 particularly) were sort of ahead of their time. Plenty of soft touch materials and an entertaining drive.

Mk2 was ok, but bland in the looks dept in anything other than ST form and the facelift improved that, thought there is acres of Asian car style grey plastic. They were however great fun to chuck through bends, probably the best handling family car that size.

The mk3 is far more funky, you sit right in the cockpit, but they seemed to have dropped insulation and thicker materials, possibly for weight and it shows the rattles.

They also have a really heavy arse, so coupled with the EPAS gives a feeling of lag. In a car that already feels a bit underpowered in anything other than Turbo form, it's a bit of a shame as the focus it replaced was a better drive, if plastic fantastic, and the mk1 seemed more durable.

It is however a decent car, if that's all you want from a motor. The seats are also very comfy in everything Zetec trim and above.
Old 22-05-2012, 07:07 AM
ermir
FOCUS

yes yes, it is a good car. I bought im directly form Koln manifacture, 1.6 pterol, ghia, beige seats, sunroof, tinted windows etc, but it doesnt give the same pleasure of the mk1. Or its just me that im used to it. But it seems more comfortable, more reliable. You know exactly where the front and the back of your car is. And this mk3 back, i dont like it at all. its like a bunker looking at it from behind. And also focus hasn't understeand the importance of the chrome exhaust pipe yet...
Old 22-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife bought a 2004 Focus 1.6 when it was 2 years old and our son now uses it.

She replaced it with a new Mk2 1.6.

That was traded in in October for a new Mk3 1.6.

IMO, the Mk1 was the best drive but I still dislike the Fisher-Price dashboard, even if it is made of nicer materials.

The Mk2 had nothing that I could recommend over the Mk1 and we never for a moment considered holding on to it any longer than necessary.

The Mk3 is a completely different car and is my favourite of the three. It has better materials and build than the Mk2, drives better and is hugely quieter. It feels like a bigger more expensive car and I'd put build quality close to that in my C-Class. The only criticism is the electric power steering which I think feels a bit vague.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:09 AM
ermir
FOCUS

Lol, Fisher Price, that sound good. Yes the material of the dashboard is certainly improved but the chassis is less strong i think. My car has 13000 km and the doors moves a little when going over bums or in hairpin bends or...this kind of thing. The mk1 is very strong in this parameters.
Old 22-05-2012, 12:14 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
My wife bought a 2004 Focus 1.6 when it was 2 years old and our son now uses it.

She replaced it with a new Mk2 1.6.

That was traded in in October for a new Mk3 1.6.

IMO, the Mk1 was the best drive but I still dislike the Fisher-Price dashboard, even if it is made of nicer materials.

The Mk3 is a completely different car and is my favourite of the three. It has better materials and build than the Mk2, drives better and is hugely quieter. It feels like a bigger more expensive car and I'd put build quality close to that in my C-Class. The only criticism is the electric power steering which I think feels a bit vague.
Imo I disagree, just compare the dashboard of the MK1 to a contemporary, such a the Astra, the Focus is much better, things like the rubber dashboard covering etc and the silver plastic center console, compared to say the Astra's "plastic-tastic" layout. I am actually referring to the MK 1.5 here, can't say for the MK1, but I know they did revise the interior on the latter.

Also I find the ICE to be very good.

it has to be 'EPAS' though for the "Park assist" optional extra to work.

Martin