General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Running a Subaru....Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fagin
Like mine then:

A 2ltr JDM one though..... not your nasty 2.5ltr UK version. lol
That probably is the best car to go for, although a little over the guys budget lol
Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, at least I know what 500 you owned now, only issue I know with scoobs is that if they aren't looked after and get mapped incorrectly then you get problems, don't forget on the imports they where set for 100 Ron fuel and on newage you get away whith 99 Ron on standard map but a lot of classics have been run unmapped on 97 Ron suffered det and gone pop. Gives them all a bad name. I believe the newage twinscroll engines are very well built. But most of these problems apply to any performance car really, you only get reliability with regular maintenance. How would a cossie mapped on 97 cope with 95 Ron not very well I presume. I like both cars and both have good and bad points. But Subaru reliability is very good and parts are easy and relatively cheap to source.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by ajamesc
just what I was told by a work mate who is well into his scoobys but as you say its bollocks I googled it lol seems there's a lot of posts about them failling!
Many failed due to poor maintenance and tuning.

Guess what happens if you badly tune a car and it DETs. The big ends get a hammering and you rumble the bottom end.

DET is a killer on these engines.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
chrisa3

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont they have oil pump probs after a certian amount of miles hence the reason theres always spears or repair ones on ebay with spun shells?
The classis shape had issues with the pressure valve on the pump. When I bought mine I changed it for a Roger Clark pump which delivered the same pressure, just had an uprated valve. There a bit of a mine field impreza's. As stevieturbo said, if your looking for reliability, your better off with the facelift impreza is they had a closed deck block and were generally more robust.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Many failed due to poor maintenance and tuning.

Guess what happens if you badly tune a car and it DETs. The big ends get a hammering and you rumble the bottom end.

DET is a killer on these engines.
yeah I know that I'm on about the oil pump issue that takes the big ends out on early models not bad tuning
Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Fagin

ajamesc,
I'm saying that is the biggest cause of issues with the Classics, not any potential oil pump valve issue.

chrisa3,
Facelift model? The Newage is not a facelift model! lol And none of the Newage engines had a CDB.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

ajamesc,
I'm saying that is the biggest cause of issues with the Classics, not any potential oil pump valve issue.

chrisa3,
Facelift model? The Newage is not a facelift model! lol And none of the Newage engines had a CDB.
Like I said its just some thing I've been told by a work mate who is into them I no nothing about them and only googled it as some one said its ballshit in a older post dident look ballshit going by all the web posts google found on it. If you say its only on the classics then fair enough as I say I don't know lol
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
chrisa3

chrisa3,
Classic, facelift, newage, blob eye, hawk eye, ugly fucker...... is that the right order?? I meant newage, but thanks for correcting that. And I thought the 'newage' models had a different block to the classic shape, ie stronger either semi-closed or closed decks??
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

yeah I know that I'm on about the oil pump issue that takes the big ends out on early models not bad tuning
Absolutely nothing wrong with the oil pump. Even with the big ends fucked they still make decent pressure !

Big ends failure is nearly always poor maintenance/abuse. Bad tuning will blow up any engine, usually taking out pistons first.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Fagin

Like I said its just some thing I've been told by a work mate who is into them I no nothing about them and only googled it as some one said its ballshit in a older post dident look ballshit going by all the web posts google found on it. If you say its only on the classics then fair enough as I say I don't know lol
No worries mate.... the valve can "stick", but it's apparently a heat related issue - overheating the oil.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Fagin

Originally Posted by chrisa3
Classic, facelift, newage, blob eye, hawk eye, ugly fucker...... is that the right order?? I meant newage, but thanks for correcting that. And I thought the 'newage' models had a different block to the classic shape, ie stronger either semi-closed or closed decks??
Sorry... I didn't realise you meant the facelift to the Classic, but still a Classic.

The Newage (from MY02 onwards) is a stronger engine yes, but they are all SCDB's on the Newage, whether it's of the 2ltr or 2.5ltr variety. It's certain variants of the Classic that had the CDB strangely enough. lol

My engine is a MY06 2ltr JDM engine and I'm currently running around 450bhp.... totally stock engine. Some people have/are running over 500bhp on these Newage engines.... not that I would risk that much.

The only thing I ever have to check is the fuel level! It's awesome! lol
Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM
chrisa3

Sorry... I didn't realise you meant the facelift to the Classic, but still a Classic.

The Newage (from MY02 onwards) is a stronger engine yes, but they are all SCDB's on the Newage, whether it's of the 2ltr or 2.5ltr variety. It's certain variants of the Classic that had the CDB strangely enough. lol

My engine is a MY06 2ltr JDM engine and I'm currently running around 450bhp.... totally stock engine. Some people have/are running over 500bhp on these Newage engines.... not that I would risk that much.

I ran a 99my for a couple of years, and spent around Ł1500 in the first month rectifying problems that the previous owner bodged. Best was a Split breather pipe on the airbox to turbo. Rather than whip the inlet off, they used black window glue to fix it Wondered why it never ran right. Cambelt guides fitted so they actaully touched the belt, that was a near miss.

Its a shame because it kind of put me off buying another Subaru, but I have been told the newage 2002 onwards models are alot more reliable etc.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
robw
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

running over 500 on standard internals is very impressive on these cars, engines not that bad then